Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Opinion about Acana ?

lior.f
September 24th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Hello !

I'm currently feeding Acana Premium and I want to hear some opinions about this food. I know its not the best but it is better than eukanuba,thats what I used to feed before.

Prin
September 24th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Chicken meal (low ash), steamed oatmeal, ground whole rice , chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary), rice bran, ground flaxseed (source of Omega 3), beet pulp, herring oil (natural source of DHA and EPA), chicken broth, yeast extract (Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles), chicory root (FOS), steamed sweet potato, dried whole egg, yucca shidigera, glucosamine HCl (powdered lobster shell), chondroitin sulfate (shark cartilage), marigold extract (source of lutein), L-carnitine supplement, Atlantic kelp, carrots, tomatoes (natural source of lycopene), apples, whole garlic, parsley, rosemary extract, cranberry, sea salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, lysine, vitamin A supplement, dl alpha-tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), methionine, vitamin D3 supplement, *iron Bioplex™, *zinc Bioplex™, *manganese Bioplex™, biotin, *copper Bioplex™, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin K supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), vitamin B12, folic acid. *chelated mineral
http://www.championpetfoods.com/dogs/premium_adult.aspx

It's a bit grainy, but not terrible. The rice might be the #1 ingredient because they broke it into parts (I put them in blue). It's got the whole tomato and not just the pomace, as well as whole eggs, not egg product, which are both good, but then it's got beet pulp (stool hardener). Beet pulp isn't horrible, but it's something to try to avoid, if possible, IMO.

Cranberry to help with urinary pH.. Not necessary, but ok.:)

The yeast is unnecessary and might disrupt the natural yeast balance in the doggy (I still don't know why they put that in there :rolleyes: ).

Citric acid can cause bloat, especially if the food is wet before serving.

Why is there so much rosemary in it? :shrug:

It seems a bit salty- with the kelp and extra sea salt afterward too.. Not sure why they added even more.

It's got menadione (most likely) hidden as a vitamin K supplement. There are a couple of threads on menadione, or vitamin K3, here, but the main issue is that it can cause free radicals, which can lead to tumors or cancers... But if you supplement with antioxidants, you should be ok (vitamin E is an example of an antioxidant).

All in all, it has some pros and some cons, but is wayyyyy better than Euk.

lior.f
September 24th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Thank you so much for your answer Prin. For a 50lb, 4yrs old boxer female should I choose acana premium or acana large breed ?

How do I find a natural source of vitamin E ?

Prin
September 24th, 2006, 11:41 AM
I'd say the premium. For some reason, they expect you to feed almost double on the large breed formula than on the Premium. :confused: The ingredients are almost the same.:shrug:

(usually the idea behind the large breed formulas is that it's more dense, so you feed less, but not this one for some reason...:shrug: )

lior.f
September 24th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Is olive oil a good source of vitamin E ? She gets 1 tablespoon of olive oil twice a week. Should I give her more ?

Prin
September 24th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Olive oil is a good source of vitamin E (along with sweet potatoes, asparagus, uncooked spinach), but I'm not sure how much olive oil is safe to give.:o

rainbow
September 24th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Acana is made by Champion Pet Foods in Alberta, Canada. They have just come out with a very good food called Orijen. Does the store where you purchase the Acana Premium have it in stock yet?

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/about/

Prin
September 24th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I like the Orijen ingredients overall... Too bad they don't have any poultry-free ones for my Boo.

Their large breed puppy formula has too much calcium though.

SuperWanda
September 24th, 2006, 05:34 PM
I contacted Champion and Orijen foods use the K1 supplement, not K3. So not to worry about menadione. I'm not sure about the Acana but they are very fast at responding to any questions you have - which I like!

I have been using the Orijen now for a week. At first, when I started to use it one of my dogs got a hot spot. She has always had allergies but I was never sure what was causing them - was it grains?, chicken?, environmental?, maybe a combination? - I decided to try the food again - just in case that paticular hot spot was not due to chicken and so far both my dogs are doing well on it.

I really liked the ingredients in the Orijen and they really love this food! I also like the fact that they manufacture the food in their own plant!

I'll update after they have been using it for a longer period of time. One of my dogs has a very sensitive stomach and the other has allergies.

rainbow
September 24th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I really liked the ingredients in the Orijen and they really love this food! I also like the fact that they manufacture the food in their own plant!

That's a bonus. :thumbs up Go Natural (Petcurean) usus their own maufacturing plant as well in Abbotsford, B.C. They are coming out with a food similar to Orijen as well.

SuperWanda
September 24th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Really!?! - is there any information on that new food rainbow? I liked the look of the fish one but all the talk here about toxic salmon scared me away from it.

That's why I am trying the Orijen. If that doesn't work i think I'll try the Innova Evo Red meat one but as for availability the Orijen is much easier to find and it is less expensive.

I think I have developed a fondness for foods made in Canada and I'd be very interested in seeing what Petcurean has to offer!

Lior - this is the reply I got from Champion foods about the Orijen, so maybe Acana also contains the K1 because they do make both of these foods.

We have not used Menadione for some time now. Any food with vitamin K supplement uses K1 (not K3).

Regards,
Peter

rainbow
September 24th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Really!?! - is there any information on that new food rainbow? I liked the look of the fish one but all the talk here about toxic salmon scared me away from it.

I emailed Michelle at Petcurean for information on Friday so should get an answer in a couple of days. I stay away from the fish based foods as well. ;)

We have not used Menadione for some time now. Any food with vitamin K supplement uses K1 (not K3).

Wow....I'm impressed. When I first emailed Peter last year his first reply was that the K3 was necessary for blood clotting. After a couple more emails he finally agreed to look into it further. I just might send him another email. :D

BTW, what is the price for a large bag of Orijen? And how much do you feed an 80lb. dog?

lior.f
September 25th, 2006, 01:53 AM
I wrote to Champion foods about buying Orijen here and they put me in contact with the guy who brings in Acana. He said that Champion foods sent him 10 bags of Orijen for his own dogs to try it first and in couple of months he will start to import it on a large scale but first he needs to work on the right marketing because grains free is a new concept here and it will be the first kind of it on the market. So for now I wait, with the hope that everything will go right and I'll see it on the shelves.

rainbow
September 25th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Good luck and I hope all goes well for Killy. Keep us posted.

BTW, regarding the vitamin e supplementation, I would email Peter at Champion to verify if the vitamin k supplement is k1 or k3. If it's k1 there is no need to give vitamin e. If it's k3 then I would check with your vet for a safe dose. I would think 200 IU/day would be okay but check to make sure.

SuperWanda
September 25th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Lior - good luck with the orijen and acana. I will update this in a few months to let everyone know how my two are doing on this food. Grain-free is a relatively new thing here too - not really the mainstream option in petfoods as far as I can tell. I'm also going to ask my vet about it since I have an apt. tomorrow. Just to see what her opinion is.

Rainbow - I am still waiting for petland to carry the larger sized bags. Apparently there are a few smaller stores which have just recieved the larger bags so I will let you know the cost. It is not that practical for me to be feeding two 60lb dogs with these smaller bags!

Right now I have been purchasing the 5.5lb or 2.5kg size bags for $14.47

So, for a 80 lb dog, let's see cause they only have it in kg. 80 lbdog =36kg

For weight maintenance they suggest:

235-330g / 2-2.75cups for 20-35kg dog

330-440g / 2.75-3.5cups for 35-50kg dog

The caloric content is 3600 kcal/kg (410 kcal per 250ml cup) with 50% energy derived from protein, 25% derived from fruit and veggies and 25% from fat.

rainbow
September 25th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I certainly understand the cost of feeding as I have a 58 lb.and an 85 lb. that is still growing. :D

I really like the ingredients in Orijen and I hope we can get it here. :fingerscr Good luck at your end and I'll look forward to your updates.

SuperWanda
September 26th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Hi - I just thought I would pass along the information my vet gave me today.

I took my Orijen bag along and she looked at the ingredients. She has her own dog on a higher protein diet as well - 35% protein because he had looser stools and she wanted to give him more protein/ less carbs to firm up the stool. She said that as long as your dog is healthy that a higher protein diet is fine. Today - there is a lot of talk about low carb, higher protein diets and it is known that these diets help to prevent diabetes and heart problems.

She thought that the list of botanicals in the Origen were good - she told me what each one is for and that there were good studies on those ingredients. She said to watch for an increased thirst because if your dog is wanting to consume a lot of water the level of protein may be harder on the kidneys but if the dog is healthy to begin with it shouldn't be a problem.

She also said to watch the stool. Some higher protein diets can constipate and more fibre helps to move things along in the colon. Again, it just depends on the dog.

The last thing she said was that some dogs may lose weight on this diet - again, this may be good for some dogs and bad for others. One of my dogs has a tendancy to gain weight and my husky/hound cross has a tendancy to lose weight, especially in the winter - so more carbs may actually be beneficial for her.

As long as they are enjoying it she didn't see why those levels of protein would be a problem.

rainbow
September 26th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the update....that's good to know and finally a vet that doesn't push Medi-Cal or Science Diet. :D

chase de bull
February 12th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Hello guys. Just want to update this thread. Any new comments either positive or negative on this food?

I tried a sample pack and i was amazed by the smell. My dogs love it. Its cheaper than innova, canidae, euka, hills and ep. Im planning to switch to acana from canidae. Any comments?

Scott_B
February 13th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Canidae is a far better product. I'd stick with that.

meb999
February 13th, 2007, 07:29 AM
The only Acana formula that is as good as Canidae is their Orijen (the high protein formula)

ingredients :
Fresh chicken meat, chicken meal (low ash), turkey meal, steamed russet potato, fresh-caught Northern Whitefish, chicken fat, fresh whole eggs, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, tapioca, chicken broth, sunflower oil, flaxseed, Atlantic kelp, steamed carrots, spinach, peas and tomatoes, sun-cured alfalfa, apple fiber, psyllium seed, rosemary extract, yeast extract (MOS), glucosamine HCl, cranberries, black currants, chondroitin sulfate.

TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS
Chicory, burdock and marshmallow root (FOS), rosehips, stinging nettle, marigold flowers, L-carnitine, fennel seed, chamomile flowers, milk thistle, chickweed, summer savory.

ORGANIC MINERALS
Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS
Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium (B. bifidus), Saccharomyces (S. boulardii).

PREMIUM VITAMINS
Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin, pyridoxine (source of vitamin B6).

erykah1310
February 13th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I fed Acana to my cats for a while... not doing that again... all of them ended up with some wild diareah and started shedding like mad ... not sure about being food related or not, but that was what happened here after a month of it....
I switched!

chase de bull
February 17th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Thanks meb999. I wonder why ACANA products are made in alberta and many canadian are not aware of this product.
Is it better than eagle pack, eukanuba, royal and hills?

rainbow
February 17th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Their Orijen formula is better than all those.

SuperWanda
February 21st, 2007, 10:01 AM
I am still feeding the Orijen and am very happy with it.

My dogs haven't gotten sick of it yet - they still gobble it up like the first day I introduced it.

mtbikr59
March 1st, 2010, 01:57 PM
i was feeding acana puppy and junior untill last week,from 9 weeks to 16weeks.i switched his food because i figured it must have a lot of filler food in it as he as was pooping 3 to 4 times a day,and large stools too.i thought it was supposed to be really good food,but my vet said it must have fillers in it because of his pooping so much,,anyone else see that as well?

geisha
March 1st, 2010, 06:02 PM
How much are you feeding? If you overfeed it can lead to many, many more poos.

mtbikr59
March 1st, 2010, 11:34 PM
i was going by the bags instructions,it said from 3 1/4 to 5 cup per day,,for his weight and age,i was giving him 4 cups.im going with my vets suggestion to go with medi-cal adolesent large breed.,i originally was going to go with orijen ,but they said i should use acana puppy and junior food.,i liked the fact its made here in canada,alberta,,but then i found out medi-cal is made here in ontario,guelph.

Marty11
March 2nd, 2010, 09:42 AM
Someone mentioned Canadian Food? Has anyone tried GO NATURAL? They make salmon, chicken, duck, and now grain free, and also NOW that has lower protein in it. I have been using the chicken and duck, but I am going to try Orijen for the first time. I have issues with my Boston. I will report back in a month or so.

Frenchy
March 2nd, 2010, 09:46 AM
i was going by the bags instructions,it said from 3 1/4 to 5 cup per day,,for his weight and age,i was giving him 4 cups.im going with my vets suggestion to go with medi-cal adolesent large breed.,i originally was going to go with orijen ,but they said i should use acana puppy and junior food.,i liked the fact its made here in canada,alberta,,but then i found out medi-cal is made here in ontario,guelph.

Your first idea was the good one , to go with Orijen. Medi-Cal (like most of the other vet food) is full of fillers and much too expensive for it's quality. :)

DoubleRR
March 2nd, 2010, 11:54 AM
Your first idea was the good one , to go with Orijen. Medi-Cal (like most of the other vet food) is full of fillers and much too expensive for it's quality. :)

Exactly. Never take a vet's word for what food is best--the training they receive in nutrition is limited and usually provided by the pet food companies that want them to sell their product.
Orijen is an excellent food--I have used it for the past two years with great results, and now the two sources of pet food locally sell mostly Orijen and very little else, since so many people have had the same experience. My almost 10 mth old 10 lb dachshund eats 3/4 of a cup a day, which will be less when he is fully mature. My 90 lb Rhodesian eats 3.5 cups a day, less when inactive.

binkybuff
March 2nd, 2010, 12:30 PM
I feed my mini Schnauzer the Acana for Seniors. She has a sensitive stomach, and I find that this is what suits her. We have no more up- chucks, she doesn't eat grass as much, and, her poops are normal for her size. My vet says she is overweight at 18 pounds, but she only gets about 3/4 of a cup , a day. This is split for her meals, breakfast and a supper. Her breakfast has a bit of soft food (1 tbsp) as well, as she is 13 years old now. My dog, cannot go a whole day without eating, :wall: otherwise she is sick at some point even with drinking water. I know that some friends give her doggy biscuits, so that is why she is cut back. During the winter I cannot walk her as much, but as soon as the roads clear here, (no sidewalks where I live), we will be back out walking.

My cat is also on Acana, she is totally indoors, one of my children have their cat on Acana as well. Both cats are doing well, coats shine, and both cats won't eat anything else. I had to change my cat to something as she was up chucking her other food, but with Acana, there isn't any problems with that.

What changed me at first, :lightbulb: was all the problems with the food recalls a couple of years ago, and I found that Acana didn't use products from other countrys, it is a western Canadian product, and made here in Alberta. And where I buy it, (pet store) it isn't that expensive. Oddly they are the only place that carry the product here.

From my point of view, :thumbs up Acana qualifies as good food for pets, you can't go wrong with it. Less food, and less poop, and yet the animals seem satisfied and healthy.

take care
binky

cassiek
March 2nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
I am a firm believer in Orijen - their philosophy is based on trying to mimic a BARF (raw) diet into a kibble and I think they have done that very well. The only food I would rate higher than Orijen is a raw diet. I also love that their products are a Canadian product. I have fed both Orijen and Acana and had good results. I actually am really really curious to try the Orijen new red meat formula and may try splitting it 1/2 and 1/2 with raw.

Retriever
March 6th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I use Orijen dry senior food right now with Go Natural can food to make it more moist. My dog has been picky all his life but ever since I started adding Go wet food he rarely turns down a meal.

katty5256
March 7th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I have a rotbox who I have been having food sensitivities with. Until I can afford allergy tests which are about $500 in my area I have just been cutting things out that she responds negatively to. I recently put her on Acana Pacifica which is a fish based food without any wheat. I am a PRO supporter of any company that uses whole ingredients and free range proteins. I really like this food. When comparing it to the price of a vet food and comparing ingredient to ingredient this food wins my vote hands down. My girl hasn't had any problems on this food and I feel good about my decision knowing that the animal proteins used in it aren't sick or diseased animals not fit for human consumption that are found in a lot of dog foods.

FlamesGirl
March 24th, 2010, 12:43 PM
My brother's puppy was on Acana Large breed puppy and he did terrible on it. Brother made a slow switch but puppy had the runs constantly and was so skinny. Took puppy to the vet, got a bunch of pills and told to do a "plain diet" of rice/chicken or potato/hamburger and gradually add kibble. Puppy didn't have the runs while on meds but once off, they started again. Finally realized when he was fed potato/hamburger he was still getting runny poop. Checked Acana and it has potato in its ingredient list. Brother switched to Orijen 6 fish at 6 months and puppy never had the runs again and finally lost the ribby/boney look and has been doing great ever since. For some reason he just can't handle potato.

rainbow
March 24th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Checked Acana and it has potato in its ingredient list. Brother switched to Orijen 6 fish at 6 months and puppy never had the runs again and finally lost the ribby/boney look and has been doing great ever since. For some reason he just can't handle potato.

But Orijen 6Fish also has potato as an ingredient :confused: ....

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/6fishdogIngredients.aspx

sugarcatmom
March 24th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Checked Acana and it has potato in its ingredient list. Brother switched to Orijen 6 fish at 6 months and puppy never had the runs again and finally lost the ribby/boney look and has been doing great ever since. For some reason he just can't handle potato.

Glad that your brother found a food that his puppy can tolerate, but it wasn't likely an issue with potato. There actually isn't any potato in the Acana Large Breed Puppy, but there is in the Orijen 6 Fish. So maybe it was the chicken or grains in the Acana that was the problem? :shrug:

Orijen 6 Fish:
Fresh deboned salmon, salmon meal, herring meal, russet potato, fresh deboned lake whitefish, sweet potato, peas, ...

Acana Large Breed Puppy:
Chicken meal, steamed oats, fresh free-run chicken, peas, fresh deboned salmon (source of DHA), brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols androsemary), chicken liver, fresh whole eggs,...

FlamesGirl
March 26th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Ah, sorry I was confused - it was the rice he couldn't digest. I knew it was either potato or rice because he figured out even when feeding it to the pup in the bland diet, the pup would get the runs with the rice, not the potato. Serves me right for not checking!

Flicka
March 28th, 2010, 09:33 PM
We brought our new Leonberger puppy home form the breeder, she was feeding the Purina Large breed puppy, I knew right away I was going to switch. Bought a large bag of Acana, Bark and Fritz reccommed. He has had the runs, many poops a day, stinky! Brought him to the vet thinking he was sick or had a parasite, 220$ later, turns out he is sensitive to his food. He is on the vet's food for 2 weeks, with supplements to try to get back to normal, and it's working!
Now, I don't know what food to pick??? If Orijen is made by the same company, should I try it???
Opinions please, I thought I was picking the right food...

TeriM
March 28th, 2010, 11:09 PM
The reason most of those types of foods work is that they are full of fillers etc that have the purpose to firm up stools. I personally would rather home cook for the puppy for a week or so and then begin to add back in some regular dog food slowly to allow the system to adjust. I would even consider trying the acana again but introducing it slowly. Is it possible as well that you were overfeeding a bit because that is often a cause of diarhea problems in young puppies. I would also buy a probiotic to use which I found very helpful.

What are the main ingredients (name) of the vet food? and what type of Acana did you buy? It would be worthwhile to compare the ingredients to determine if there is a sensitivity to a protein etc.

Riley had a pretty sensitive tummy as a puppy and we had our best success with Timberwolf foods but they are really expensive. I would suggest a kibble in the lower protein range to start (20 - 25%) with limited ingredients. You could consider brands like California Naturals or Go Natural Salmon.

Mirela
March 28th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I tottaly agree with switching very slowly.
I'm in the process of switching my puppy as well from Purina to Acana but I'm going at it really slow - I mixed 1/4 cup Purina with 1/8 Acana for about a week and it worked without tummy upsets. Lots of small poops a day - sometimes 5 or 6, but no diarhea.

I got the Acana puppy and junior -black and yellow bag.

BenMax
March 29th, 2010, 04:59 PM
My GSD has recently been switched from Solid Gold to Acana Pacifica. My min pin is on red meat Orijen.

Acana meets my budget for a large breed and so far has met my expectations.

Choochi
March 30th, 2010, 01:08 PM
My dogs were on Orijen, my big guy had constant dandruff, dry skin, dull fur. I switched them to Wellness and both dogs did great, skin and fur issues went away. We tired a couple of their formulas and all worked out fine. The last bag of food I bought I thought I would give the pink Acana (I can't remember which formula it is) a try, and within 2 weeks skin problems were back on the big guy, and my little one started chewing up her paws. Back to Wellness we went and all problems went away with both dogs.

kandy
March 30th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I would also suggest cutting back on the amount of food for anyone who is feeding a premium food and still seeing runny stools or an excessive amount. If I remember correctly, for my newfs the feeding instructions say something like 6-8 cups of food a day! That's way too much - they each get about 3 1/2 cups a day with some kind of topping (canned food, etc) split into 2 meals. My 40lb collie mutt gets about 1 2/3 cup a day split into 2 meals.

While I think Acana is a decent brand, it is a bit grainy IMO. I was feeding Timberwolf, but have tried different brands. I found that Timberwolf kept raising their prices, while lowering the quality IMO. When I first started feeding the Dakota bison formula, the bison was first on the list, salmon meal second. Then pretty soon the salmon meal was further down the list, with more grains added. And I didn't like their customer service - or the fact that they wouldn't disclose where their products were made. The ingredients in Wellness aren't bad, but now that they've been bought out alot of their products are made by Diamond Foods. That makes me nervous since Diamond Foods seems to be involved in alot of recalls on pet food. I finally chose EVO (the original formula, turkey & chicken) and the dogs have been on it now for a couple of months. They've all had really good poops, but 2 of them seem to be having ear issues now. Since all the foods that they've had in the past were usually red meat based, I'm wondering if it's the chicken.

Even the very best foods aren't right for every dog, you have to find the one that your dog thrives on.

Chris21711
March 30th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Kandy you mention that Acana is a bit grainy, not all types of Acana have grains....I feed Grasslands and it is grain free.

BenMax
March 30th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Kandy you mention that Acana is a bit grainy, not all types of Acana have grains....I feed Grasslands and it is grain free.

Maybe she means the texture?:shrug: Actually no because it doesn't feel grainy nor is there grains.:shrug:

Flicka
March 31st, 2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks! Spoke to the vet, and he's keeping him on the Vet low residue formula for a couple weeks, then we will introduce a new food slowly and see if there's a sensitivity or not. I'd prefer to get him back on regular food as soon as possible. The vet also has him on pro biotics for now as well, he is doing great! Seems to be driniking alot more, but the poops are under control now!

kandy
March 31st, 2010, 06:57 PM

I was actually talking about the Acana that is not grain free, like the Acana Adult Dog formula.