Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 yr. old dog in heat?

vel
September 24th, 2006, 05:59 AM
:dog: I have never owned a female dog before. She is a 2 yr. old purebred Leonberger "Boo"and I believe she is in heat. She is dripping blood and has appeared restless the past two days. She is usually very content to stay by my side but especially today she has wanted to be outside at all times except to eat. As I was viewing this website I heard something in the backyard and when I called Boo she came running to me with a little male chiuahua (sorry about the spelling). I've never had a problem with dogs getting into my yard.........before. Although this may sound terrribly niave and border-line stupid.....:confused: ....is it physically possible for these two to mate! :yuck: How long does a female stay in heat? Is being in heart uncomfortable for her in any way?
Oh, before anyone gets upset about why Boo is not spayed, she was a rescue, I got her a month ago and she was abused and neglected and her health had been jeopardized. My vet recommended we wait until she had put on weight and rid her body of infection before we spay.....

chico2
September 24th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Vel,I don't know much about dogs in heat,but remember many,many yrs ago,when my neighbors little poodle was in heat.
In her frontyard there was always a few eager males waiting:D
In those days we often saw dogs loose,not any more.
As for the sizes of dogs mating,a Chi and a Leonburger?
I don't know,probably not...it would be something like this pic..

BMDLuver
September 24th, 2006, 09:14 AM
She's most likely in heat if you are gaining male visitors. If she's gone in to heat then that's a good sign. Means her body and spirit are now healthy. She should be good to spay in about 5 weeks from now. She will stay in heat for at least another 5 plus days. She's restless and wanting to go out because she's right at the critical point where she will accept males. Keep her with you and don't let her out unsupervised for at least another week.

t.pettet
September 24th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Hi Vel, keep in mind that size doesn't matter very much, if theres a will, theres a way. I know of a mis-mating between a female scotch collie and a tiny 6 lb. pom, the collie's owners never considered the pom to be a threat so let them be together during her entire heat and 62 days after mating she gave birth to 9 pups.

vel
September 24th, 2006, 10:11 PM
:dog: You know after I asked this question I thought: the people on this forum are going to think I'm absolutely nuts wondering about a small dog and my Leonberger....:o...........I was worried though and I too thought maybe size wasn't going to be issue. Boo desperately wants outside of the yard and this has not been a problem since she arrived her (a month ago). I truely appreciate the insight everyone has contributed as, although I thought I knew alot about dogs, I am realizing I know zilch......Waiting another 5 weeks to have here spayed fits into the time schedule my vet gave me. And although the "going into heat thing" is a pain, I am thrilled to know that it signifies that Boo must be healthier. Thank you everyone:thumbs up

technodoll
September 24th, 2006, 10:26 PM
when can we see photos of your beautiful girl? Prin's boy is also named "Boo" :p but i'm sure they look nothing alike, LOL! What is her story, how did you end up adopting her?...

Prin
September 24th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Yeah, we don't know what my boy Boo is, but we know for sure he isn't even close to being a Leonberger.:D

I second the demand for pics.;)