Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

URGENT - Lost Siberian Husky in Ottawa - FOUND!

Inverness
September 23rd, 2006, 04:35 PM
PLEASE CROSSPOST TO ANYONE WHO COULD HELP IN THE OTTAWA AREA

MODS: I don't know if I am allowed to post phone numbers here. If not, please let me know how we should do this - this is a major emergency. THANKS.

Hi everyone:

“Maddie” (real name Madame), a beige and brown female Alaskan Husky, slipped her collar and harness this morning in Ottawa before the second leg of her transport to a rescuer in Aurora. She is loose in the Bank and Walkely area of Ottawa. Animal Control, radio stations and BARK Rescue has been notified. If anyone sees Maddie, please contact Ruth Cottrill as soon as possible at Home (613) 733-6277 Cell (613) 862-9965 E-mail: minpinerie@yahoo.ca. Maddie is very, very shy. It might help to have a dog with you (and a spare leash) if you are out looking for her to see if she will come to the other dog.

Please, if anyone can help... Maddie was just spared euthanasia at my vet clinic and was being transported to the rescuer who agreed to help her. Let's try and catch her before she meets a moving car... :sad:

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/340/img1066rt3.jpg

chico2
September 23rd, 2006, 04:42 PM
OMG,Inverness that's just not fair,I hope she lets herself be caught:fingerscr
Poor dog..

Golden Girls
September 23rd, 2006, 05:26 PM
:fingerscr :fingerscr Crossposted

rainbow
September 23rd, 2006, 05:31 PM
I know how huskies can be. I hope someone can catch her. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

LOYAL Rescue
September 23rd, 2006, 05:46 PM
I just logged into this site to post about Maddie. THANK YOU for beating me to it. My heart is just breaking for her. I can't imagine the fear that must be going through her right now, especially after all she's been through.:pawprint:

LOYAL Rescue
September 23rd, 2006, 05:57 PM
http://wwww.petfinder.com/fotos/ON253/ON253.7030719-2-x.jpg

the gang
September 23rd, 2006, 08:12 PM
i have crossed posted to people in the area please keep us posted

papillonmama
September 23rd, 2006, 08:18 PM
Ohh, that's soo sad, I hope she's found again soon.:fingerscr

DakotaJo
September 23rd, 2006, 08:21 PM
I've sent in a prayer for you and Maddie.:pray: God loves animals, he will keep her safe until she is found.

Prin
September 24th, 2006, 12:23 PM
She's beautiful. I hope you find her soon.:fingerscr

Inverness
September 24th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Maddie was seen this morning. She came back to her Friday overnight foster and tried to get into the fenced in backyard. She hasn't been caught though and is still running around in the neighbourhood. If you are in that area, please keep an eye out for her. Call Ruth Cottrill if you see her, or alternatively, take your dog for a walk - she might come to him. Maddie is not wearing any collar, so don't forget to bring a leash and maybe a choker collar. Maddie is not aggressive at all, but she is a very shy dog and must be totally panicked at the moment. She's never even lived in the city before. :(

BMDLuver
September 24th, 2006, 01:55 PM
It's a good thing she is sticking to the area. Means she doesn't want to run off far. :fingerscr that she shows up again and can be caught.

rainbow
September 24th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Oh, I am so glad she's still okay and staying close by. She must be getting hungry though. Is everyone taking something really enticing to eat for her to try and lure her? :fingerscr :fingerscr

cpietra16
September 24th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I am sending all my good vibes....can you keep the gate open so if she comes back tonight she can stay in?

Inverness
September 24th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Oh, I am so glad she's still okay and staying close by. She must be getting hungry though. Is everyone taking something really enticing to eat for her to try and lure her? :fingerscr :fingerscr

She actually walked in through the front door this morning to eat the food she was being offered, but ran as soon as she saw someone moving around her.

Inverness
September 24th, 2006, 04:29 PM
I am sending all my good vibes....can you keep the gate open so if she comes back tonight she can stay in?

Last news were that the foster home will be setting up a trap in the yard and leave the gate open, in the hope that she comes back tonight... :fingerscr

cpietra16
September 24th, 2006, 05:26 PM
That's awful...to be so close and yet uncatchable:sad: I hope she's hungry enough to come back tonight....I hope shes ok. Has she been spotted since she ate the food?

rainbow
September 24th, 2006, 05:43 PM
I pray that she keeps herself safe and hopefully next time they'll catch her. :fingerscr :pray: :fingerscr

rainbow
September 25th, 2006, 01:55 AM
Maddie, my husky is laying beside me right now and I hope you're safely back home . :fingerscr :fingerscr

Toonces
September 25th, 2006, 07:38 AM
I am so sorry this has happened, good to hear she is staying in the area. I hope you have her safe and sound soon:fingerscr

Inverness
September 25th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Maddie was seen today. Unfortunately, she has been hit by a car, but is still running loose. I wonder how this is going to end. :sad:

~michelle~
September 25th, 2006, 03:14 PM
oh my i hope she will be ok......

rainbow
September 25th, 2006, 03:23 PM
OH NO :sad: She is going to be more frightened than ever now. :sad: Can anyone tell the extent of her injuries? Is she still in the neighbourhood? I pray that she can be captured soon. :fingerscr :fingerscr

chico2
September 25th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Oh no,poor Maddie,she must be terrified I:pray: that someone will get her in time. What a terrilby sad story:sad:

Toonces
September 25th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Ohhh poor Maddie, sending lots of posititive vibes her way, hopefully she is hungry enough to let herself be caught in the trap:fingerscr

mesaana
September 25th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Vega and I went looking for her for a couple of hours tonight (we came back when it got dark)... No sign of her :( We'll try again tomorrow :fingerscr

rainbow
September 25th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Oh no. I hope she is not seriously hurt and hiding. She must be so frightened as well. I will be thinking of and praying for her all night. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

cpietra16
September 26th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Oh, my worse fear...:( please come back:pray: If sh'e hurt she may be hiding . I hope she'll be found.

mesaana
September 26th, 2006, 08:38 AM
She was seen again this morning! From a yahoo group:
"I have just seen her, I was walking the dogs and she looks quite well, not
limping or weak or bleeding.. she is in the area under the pylons I called her and she looked at me and at least considered coming to me before
walking off"

LOYAL Rescue
September 26th, 2006, 09:45 AM
They are out this morning looking for Maddie, both Lynn and a few animal control officers. :fingerscr it works. She must be getting so hungry by now.

mesaana
September 26th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I just got back home. I saw her once (around 10 am) but as soon as she saw me she took off running the other way! I spoke to the bylaw officers too. She's sooo shy, she's going to be hard to catch, i think. But at least she's alive, in relatively good shape, and still in the area.

I'll go back later (my shoes and feet are soaked, this is a very wet field).

rainbow
September 26th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Poor Maddie. :sad: I hope today is the day. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

the gang
September 26th, 2006, 07:15 PM
any news on the little one,i hope she has been caught she has been on my mind brenda.:fingerscr

mesaana
September 26th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I went back for a bit but didn't see her. A live animal trap was set up in the field where she's been hanging out, with a steak in it. Hopefully, she'll be hungry enough to go in it :fingerscr

I'll let you know if I hear more

rainbow
September 26th, 2006, 08:13 PM
She should be hungry by now....fingers crossed. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

the gang
September 26th, 2006, 08:15 PM
god i hope she is caught she has a second chance, wish i was closer poor ruth:fingerscr

LOYAL Rescue
September 26th, 2006, 08:19 PM
"Pierre, the By-law officer for the City of Ottawa set up a trap at approximately 3:30 p.m. this afternoon and loaded it with steak. He is confident that they will catch Maddie within a couple of days. I have told Pierre that I will pay for boarding when she is caught until transport can be arranged."

I will post again when Maddie is caught - which I'm confident SHE WILL BE. :pray:

Frenchy
September 26th, 2006, 08:29 PM
All paws are X here for Maddie's safe return :fingerscr :pray:

cpietra16
September 26th, 2006, 09:35 PM
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :fingerscr

rainbow
September 26th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I am so affected whenever I hear of a husky that is lost, mistreated, neglected, etc. If there was some way I could help I would be there. I really pray that Maddie is captured safely. :fingerscr :pray: :fingerscr :pray: :fingerscr

the gang
September 26th, 2006, 10:59 PM
please post if you have herd anything poor baby, i keep checking, i have my:fingerscr for her safe return.

LOYAL Rescue
September 27th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Nothing new just yet. Keeping an eye on the list and will advise when I see anything.:(

the gang
September 27th, 2006, 07:58 PM
any news at all ????:pray: poor little one,

rainbow
September 28th, 2006, 12:00 AM
She has to be getting hungry. What happened to the steak in the trap that was set up?

Please, Maddy, don't be afraid. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

chico2
September 28th, 2006, 07:55 AM
OMG,I am afraid to even open this post:sad:
How long can she be without food???and it's getting cold and miserable outside:sad:
I wish she knew how many people are rooting for her..it must be heartbreaking seeing her and not beeing able to bring her to safety..
:grouphug: to all the people trying to rescue her:fingerscr :pray:

rainbow
September 28th, 2006, 11:51 AM
This is the first place I check every morning hoping for good news. I know I'm as disappointed as the rest of you. :sad: Again, I pray that today is the day. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

LOYAL Rescue
September 28th, 2006, 12:53 PM
No sighting since Tuesday around 10am. They are going to try to put bacon in the trap as it's very smelly and hopefully it will entice her.

chico2
September 28th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Maybe she's stopped running,she must be exhausted and hungry,maybe she's laying somewhere out of sight:sad:

Golden Girls
September 28th, 2006, 01:57 PM
:fingerscr

the gang
September 28th, 2006, 10:21 PM
oh god, now im getting scared, tears in my eyes, hurry maddie come back please post anybody that has news

rainbow
September 29th, 2006, 02:17 AM
I hope you're safe tonight, Maddie. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

rainbow
September 29th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Does anyone have an update on Maddy? :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

rainbow
September 30th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Hasn't anyone seen Maddy since Tuesday morning? :sad: :fingerscr :fingerscr

chico2
September 30th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Wherever she is,I hope she's not suffering:fingerscr this is a real heartbreaker,I am afraid of what kind of news we'll get:sad:

Inverness
September 30th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Hasn't anyone seen Maddy since Tuesday morning? :sad: :fingerscr :fingerscr

Maddie has not been seen since last Tuesday. :(

chico2
September 30th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Oh no,poor Maddie:sad: :sad:

BusterBoo
September 30th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Hoepfully someone has taken her into their home and will be kind to her... :pray:

chico2
September 30th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Yes,that's what I was hoping too:fingerscr

rainbow
September 30th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Hoepfully someone has taken her into their home and will be kind to her... :pray:

After all this time this is the only hope that we've got....has anyone gone door-to-door in the neighbourhood?

:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

the gang
September 30th, 2006, 10:26 PM
lets just hope and pray, all is well, maddie where ever you on lots of people that care are hoping you well take care little one:fingerscr

Spurby
October 1st, 2006, 11:52 PM
A very nice man has offered a $400 reward, please make sure that is added to all the posters, just that there is a large reward.

He also suggested, if it would work, a crock pot on very low heat with meat cooking, constantly watched of course, with a huge extension cord to keep it going. He also wondered if they have a tranquilizer gun at animal control, that someone knows how to use, that might be an option.

This was posted on another rescue board as well

rainbow
October 2nd, 2006, 04:30 PM
Does anyone have any news about Maddie? Hasn't she been seen anywhere? :fingerscr :fingerscr

I keep having this horrible feeling that maybe she has internal injuries from the accident. :sad:

Inverness
October 2nd, 2006, 05:01 PM
Does anyone have any news about Maddie? Hasn't she been seen anywhere? :fingerscr :fingerscr

I keep having this horrible feeling that maybe she has internal injuries from the accident. :sad:

No sign of her. :(

mesaana
October 2nd, 2006, 07:23 PM
Last sighting on Friday night, apparently:
"new sighting of madame a more definite one

Friday night, early eveing , in the bush area just north of the albion
railway yards..."

the gang
October 2nd, 2006, 08:32 PM
did some one see her on friday night???? poor maddie, let someone bring you home ,please.

mesaana
October 2nd, 2006, 08:41 PM
Someone just saw her NOW!!! Posted on yahoo, at 8:24 tonight:

"I have just been out looking for her with Chad
and we saw her, we know exactly where she is
She is south of Ledbury, at the far east end of the games field
She came out of the hedge and watche d us for 5 minutes, we had meat
balls and she must be hungry as she eat the meat balls we put down"

cpietra16
October 2nd, 2006, 08:59 PM
OHOHOH....someone go and get her. I'm thrilled she's alive. I hope she comes back....:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

cpietra16
October 2nd, 2006, 09:00 PM
Is that where the trap is??

Frenchy
October 2nd, 2006, 09:00 PM
With all the nice people watching out for her,I'm sure there will be a happy ending very soon :fingerscr :pray:

mesaana
October 2nd, 2006, 09:03 PM
It's right around where I saw her, less than 5 minutes from the trap.

cpietra16
October 2nd, 2006, 09:05 PM
YOu guys need more meatballs....please make this a good finish:yell: :pray: :pray: :pray:

rainbow
October 2nd, 2006, 10:54 PM
Oh, thank God she's still okay. Can someone make a trail of meatballs or whatever that she can follow to the trap? :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

chico2
October 3rd, 2006, 07:53 AM
She's still alive:thumbs up ,great news!! I was secretly fearing the worst...
Thank's for making us feel better:dog: there is still hope for a happy ending!

catsnatcher-CDN
October 3rd, 2006, 07:59 AM
c'mon...c'mon...... :fingerscr

the gang
October 3rd, 2006, 07:43 PM
any news??????:fingerscr

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Please Maddie....everyone just wants to help you. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

dtbmnec
October 4th, 2006, 01:08 AM
stubborn isn't she....

I hope she's ok though...

Beautiful dog...

:fingerscr :pray: :fingerscr :pray: :fingerscr :pray: :pawprint:

Megan

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Any luck yet? :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

Inverness
October 4th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Nope. Nothing. Impossible to see her today because of the fog. :(

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Awww geeze :( ....when is luck going to be on our side. :frustrated:

If anyone has the time to post, I would love to hear Maddie's story.

Inverness
October 4th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Awww geeze :( ....when is luck going to be on our side. :frustrated:

If anyone has the time to post, I would love to hear Maddie's story.

Maddie and her sister Nanuk were brought to my vet clinic to be euthanized. Their owner had been trying to find a new home for them for a good while because he was moving to an apartment and could not take them with him. The vet suggested he gave them a chance to contact me first, to see if the dogs could be adopted instead of being pts. The man accepted, I got the call, and I contacted several rescuers to try and find a spot for the two dogs - I didn't have the space at the time. Nanuk, the other girl, has a very friendly disposition and the vet techs were very fond of her. Maddie is quite different, very shy, and we didn't think anyone would agree to take her in. But someone did. Both dogs were spayed at my vet, prior to transporting them. Then we started the transport - Nanuk was going to Peterborough and Maddie to Aurora. I drove the two dogs to Hawkesbury, where I met with the second driver. We transfered the dogs, and they made it back to Ottawa where they stayed overnight. Maddie got away the next morning, just before the transport was to start back. And they've been trying to catch her since then... so she basically is stuck in a city, while she used to live in the countryside, with people she doesn't know, she's recovering from her spaying, she's scared, she doesn't know what's happening, so she basically has no reason to come back. :(

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Inverness, thank you so much for telling Maddie's story. The tears are still rolling down my cheeks. I know you and the others are doing everything you can. I can only pray that Maddie will be caught soon. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

chico2
October 4th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Inverness,this is such a sad story and I cannot help wondering how long she can hold out without food:sad:
You and your vet are the best,saving these 2 sisters from deathrow,it's just terrible how this happened with Maddie.
I wish I was young and sprite and could be in Ottawa helping out..every night,I think of her out there somewhere,poor girl.
She might not even have had a wonderful life before this,not beeing spayed and slated for euthenazia:sad:
We can only hope that somehow she will let herself be caught:fingerscr :fingerscr

Lissa
October 5th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Do you know of anything that she did or liked from her previous home? Even just a sound or certain object that comforts her? Would she respond to a husky howling? Any favorite foods? Anything to go on will help. Even something that "turns her on" - like hunting? If I thought it would help I'd even bring Minnow out as bait! Poor Maddie.

Nope. Nothing. Impossible to see her today because of the fog. :(

I was out there yesterday with Dodger (I had to tresspass on the tracks but nobody seemed to mind esoecially considering the weather!).... We didn't pick up any sign of her and we startled a bunny so I knew she was around if a prey animal was comfortable. The city was there cutting the grass in the park so I figured is she had been hiding in the "woods" she would be long gone with all that noise. I didn't see any tracks, tufts of fur (lots of barbed wire), or scats and she wasn't under any trees/blocks/trains where you'd think she'd go to get out of the rain.
I found it very noisy with all the traffic and was surprised that she would stay in that area - the "woods" are actually no wider than 20 meters before the train tracks so there's not much place for her to go.
Where she was last seen is right by an overpass, with a huge shopping plaza through the trees and a train yard with lots of trucking. The "woods" are quite sparse so I think her only option would be to head down the tracks - so I think that's the direction I will try today.
I did leave food so I will check to see if its gone - I left it in a muddy area so I should be able to see the prints of whatever animals (hopefully Maddie) took the food.:fingerscr

Melinda
October 5th, 2006, 12:26 PM
what if her sister were brought there for a walk.....maybe that would entice her out?

chico2
October 5th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Her sister Nanuk,is in Peterborough,although it's a great idea,maybe the new owners are not able to bring her to Ottawa.

Inverness
October 5th, 2006, 07:04 PM
what if her sister were brought there for a walk.....maybe that would entice her out?

It is indeed a good idea, and the first thing I suggested when Maddie ran away, but Nanuk had already left for Peterborough and it doesn't seem feasable to bring her back at the moment. :(

the gang
October 5th, 2006, 07:49 PM
im getting really scared to check for updates poor maddie why wont you let yourself be caught:yell:

Lissa
October 5th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Didn't find any trace of her today either. I did find a carcass of some poor creature - you'd think if Maddie was in that area she would have found it and scavenged but its completely untouched.
I think she must have moved on - they were moving the trains around today, I just don't think any dog would stick around through that kind of noise.

Also, I didn't see one poster up about Maddie. Would people rip them down? I found 1 floating around and taped it back up the best I could...Is there anything I can print off and hang up myself??

Inverness
October 5th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Lissa, if you PM me your email address, I will send you the poster. Thanks for offering your help, there isn't much I can do while I am 225 km away... :(

rainbow
October 6th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Lissa, thank you so much for getting involved. I wish I could be there as well to help look for Maddie. Fingers still crossed for her. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

Lissa
October 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM
I feel bad because I didn't see this thread sooner!

We were out again today but no luck... I really hope someone has her and just doesn't realize people are actually looking for her.

I know its not something that everyone believes in but I have been trying to get in contact with an animal communicator - anything that may potentially help at this point.

goldengal
October 6th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Like everyone else, I check daily to see if Maddie has been found. I was wondering if a local TV or radio station would ask people if they have seen/found her. I know CITY TV in Toronto often provides this type of service.

rainbow
October 6th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Like everyone else, I check daily to see if Maddie has been found. I was wondering if a local TV or radio station would ask people if they have seen/found her. I know CITY TV in Toronto often provides this type of service.

Good suggestion. I know the Global station we get here is very pro pets and would do a story. Is there a station in Ottawa like that?

the gang
October 8th, 2006, 02:06 PM
anything yet????? god its 2 weeks today, i hope she is safe and some one is trying to feed her.:angel:

Inverness
October 8th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Maddie's foster mom in Ottawa knows where she is and sees her almost daily. She is feeding her, and trying to get her to trust her enough. People have been calling to let us know where Maddie is, and she seems to stay in the same area at the moment. As long as she stays around, her foster mom will work on gaining her trust. Nobody will be able to catch her anyways, so it's probably the only way to do it, unless animal control decides to use a tranquilizer gun. They have not accepted yet, since they are afraid Maddie will run away while the tranquilizer does its job (15 minutes they say) and we will lose her. I will try and check if something else can be used, that would work more rapidly.

the gang
October 8th, 2006, 10:54 PM
could you try and put something in her food to make her groggy and let her get caught, so glad she is alive still.:fingerscr

Prin
October 8th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Poor doggy. I wish doggies knew they were safer with (some) of us.:(

chico2
October 9th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Inverness,thank's for telling us this,at least she has food and someone who knows where she is.
I thought after 2 weeks with no food she was no more with us:sad:
So,there is after all still hope she'll be caught safely,hopefully soon:fingerscr

dtbmnec
October 9th, 2006, 11:43 AM
I'm so glad she's alright! I'm sure the situation could be better but at least its not worse!

Megan

P.S. I really gotta get used to the "lost" threads...whenever I think of lost I think of losing your keys or something small....so I alwasy wonder how you could possibly lose something HUGE like a Siberian....:o

rainbow
October 9th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Finally some good news. I am so glad Maddie is okay. Hopefully, she will learn to trust her foster mom soon. What about the cage that was set up to trap her? Is it in the same area? :fingerscr :fingerscr

the gang
October 9th, 2006, 11:29 PM
i have everthing crossed, little one get home.:thumbs up

shannon1233A
October 10th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Maddie's foster mom in Ottawa knows where she is and sees her almost daily. She is feeding her, and trying to get her to trust her enough. People have been calling to let us know where Maddie is, and she seems to stay in the same area at the moment. As long as she stays around, her foster mom will work on gaining her trust. Nobody will be able to catch her anyways, so it's probably the only way to do it, unless animal control decides to use a tranquilizer gun. They have not accepted yet, since they are afraid Maddie will run away while the tranquilizer does its job (15 minutes they say) and we will lose her. I will try and check if something else can be used, that would work more rapidly.

Can't she get something from the vet to put in her food to sedate her that would work more quickly?

shannon1233A
October 10th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Can't she get something from the vet to put in her food to sedate her that would work more quickly? Or, I give Shannon Gravol as per my vet before getting her nails done which calms her quite a bit.

Inverness
October 10th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Can't she get something from the vet to put in her food to sedate her that would work more quickly? Or, I give Shannon Gravol as per my vet before getting her nails done which calms her quite a bit.

Oral meds do not work quickly - they need time to transit through the stomach and enter the bloodstream. We cannot risk giving Maddie something and seeing her take off and crash somewhere where she could get hurt. Which is why I am thinking the tranquilizer gun might be the only solution, if she is not caught soon.

However, I was told a man almost managed to touch her this weekend until she was scared off by someone else walking by. She might go to a man since she used to live with one. We're trying that avenue now.

rainbow
October 10th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Another glimmer of hope. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

shannon1233A
October 11th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Always checking here, praying for good news. I hate the thought of her out there alone and scared. It's breaking my heart and I say a little prayer to her every night when I go to bed. Maddie, sweety, please, just trust someone just once more, we won't let you down :angel:

shannon1233A
October 12th, 2006, 12:29 PM
bump; Any news?

rainbow
October 12th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Any luck with Maddie? :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

the gang
October 12th, 2006, 05:32 PM
holy smoke, boy oh boy this is a great bunch of people, cmon maddie come home!!!:fingerscr brenda and the pins.

shannon1233A
October 13th, 2006, 09:45 AM
bumpitty bump! Maddie honey, I thought of you last night especially with the snowfall. I know you must love the snow, but you'd love a warm meal too! Come on hun, let someone show you how to be loved the way you should be, come home :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

LOYAL Rescue
October 13th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Maddie was sighted again last night by rescue people looking for her. She did eat some food that was left but was very afraid of people and would not come close at all. She would not respond to a dog that was with them either.

dtbmnec
October 13th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Wow she really likes her freedom....she's being such a pain about this....:frustrated:

Hopefully you guys will catch her...I don't suppose there's any real way to follow her or anything...

Sorry random question....scent dogs? Can they pick up her scent?

Megan

Frenchy
October 13th, 2006, 01:00 PM
:yell: come on come on !!! :frustrated: :fingerscr :pray: :dog:

Mahealani770
October 13th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Jesus this thread is KILLING me! :fingerscr Come on Maddie!!!:candle:

chico2
October 13th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Me too,and it's cold and miserable outside,at least here in Oakville.
I won't be here for a couple of weeks and I hope to read Maddie is somewhere warm and safe when I get back:fingerscr :pray:

rainbow
October 13th, 2006, 07:41 PM
It breaks my heart every time I log on here and find out Maddie is still being elusive. :sad: Huskies love the snow so the only benefit is that she'll leave paw prints.

Is she still staying in the same area??? :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

the gang
October 14th, 2006, 09:04 PM
any news guys:thumbs up it will be 3 weeks tom, poor maddie my heart breaks, come home little one/

Inverness
October 15th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Nothing new. She's staying in the same area so people are watching her, but she won't get caught. I wonder what she's been eating all these weeks. She must be skinny by now, and we don't even know if she has well recovered from her spay - stitches are still on. :sad:

rainbow
October 15th, 2006, 11:49 PM
This thread just breaks my heart. :sad:

Is the man that got so close still trying to help? :fingerscr

Is the trap with food still set up for her? :fingerscr

~michelle~
October 16th, 2006, 11:20 AM
please go home maddie....:pray: i hope one day soon she'll start to trust,.

mesaana
October 17th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Update on Maddie:

This morning she was with Ruth for quite a while and she was close enough
for her to see she still has her collar and tag on, she played and played with
the husky cross Lizzie. Ruth see her every day and has taken a lawn chair down
so she doesn't have to sit on the wet grass.
There is a man who lives across from the park and she is coming to
trust him and his dog too. He is spending a lot of time visiting her and
gaining her trust.

This is major improvement!!! :fingerscr

cpietra16
October 17th, 2006, 06:20 PM
That's fantastic. I wonder what she does at night all alone. I wish she could go back to a warm house:sad:

rainbow
October 17th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Mesaana, thank you so much for the encouraging update. I check here at least once a day hoping to hear some good news. I now feel a little better that Maddie will soon allow herself to be caught. :pray:

And a special thank you to Ruth and the nice man for their time and patience devoted to Maddie. :thumbs up :grouphug:

Keeping my fingers crossed. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

the gang
October 17th, 2006, 08:09 PM
ruth you are a angel, thank you for saving all the min pins too !!!and maddie hurry little one its getting cold, this thread is driving me crazy brenda and the 4 pins.:fingerscr

Frenchy
October 17th, 2006, 08:13 PM
It's getting close ! :fingerscr :pray:

the gang
October 17th, 2006, 09:13 PM
i hope so i have feet toes hands everthing crossed, little one let ruth help.:fingerscr

jawert1
October 19th, 2006, 08:39 AM
:: bump ::

any news?

rainbow
October 20th, 2006, 05:16 AM
:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

mesaana
October 20th, 2006, 07:48 AM
More news, posted by Ruth, on Yahoo group:
Maddie is getting so she approaches me within 2 foot. I go down to her night and morning and she is usally waiting fro me and I sit down and throw food and gradually gradually she draws near, always very very alert and ready to flight, btu today she was close and her tail was relaxed from her legs, she is too smart to trap. and if they were going to trap her they woudl have to have the trap open which it usually isn't at the times she is active. i did phone and left messages on all the cell phone numbers I have and the message centre but no-one has called back... I am trying to conceive a plan with the exerpen and me sitting in it so she can't run off... I expect I have only one shot at grabbing her and if i try too soon she will take a long time to trust again... she approached one of the houses to play with the jack russell and came almost to the door as the man tried to intice her in with macaroni cheese so may be that will work too

the gang
October 20th, 2006, 08:57 AM
wounderful news its getting close hurry maddie.:crazy:

Golden Girls
October 20th, 2006, 02:34 PM

cpietra16
October 20th, 2006, 03:56 PM
WOuld she follow the Jack Russell into the house? She really sounds very smart. I hate to say it but I think you're right; you only have one chance to get her. If she always around, just take your time. Good luck

rainbow
October 20th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I know I'm probably just grasping at straws because I'm so anxious for her to be caught but what if you tried throwing a net over her instead of trying to grab her?

A friend of a neighbour's brother did that with his husky that escaped and it slowed the husky down enough that they were able to catch it. As long as there's not a lot of traffic around it may work.

You guys know best with Maddie. Good luck and I'll just continue to keep my fingers crossed. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

technodoll
October 20th, 2006, 08:23 PM
i'm thinking of the safari vets... tranquiliser gun.. little dart of sedatives... but that's not done here, is it?... :shrug:

t.pettet
October 20th, 2006, 10:33 PM
At this point a seditive in food would be a good option, if she's groggy enough she'll be less fearful and might settle down in one spot to sleep it off. This has gone on way too long for the poor dog. Somethings got to give.

badger
October 21st, 2006, 01:58 AM
What if you LACED her food with Rescue Remedy on successive days? Mesaana you must have your heart in your mouth every time you see her.
So much for prayer (or I'm not doing it right).

cpietra16
October 21st, 2006, 08:24 AM
If you take the Jack Russell up everyday she will get to know her as part of her daily routine and I'm sure it will be natural for her to follow you and the dog home....IMO. I'm not there, so I really am giving info on past expereince with trying to capture a puppy who would only did not like humans but loved my collie.(RIP)

mesaana
October 21st, 2006, 09:32 AM
Badger: I haven't seen her in a while. These updates are from Ruth :) I'm just the messenger...

As for the tranquilizer/sedative idea, it's been discussed already. The problem is, they don't work immediately so she's likely to wander off in the bush and fall asleep there. This is not an easy place to search for a sleepy dog. There are a lot of bushes too tight for a human to walk in, and some water holes, etc

Lissa
October 21st, 2006, 06:05 PM
As for the tranquilizer/sedative idea, it's been discussed already. The problem is, they don't work immediately so she's likely to wander off in the bush and fall asleep there. This is not an easy place to search for a sleepy dog. There are a lot of bushes too tight for a human to walk in, and some water holes, etc

I have to disagree with that. I have been walking in those woods weekly in search of Maddie (daily when I first heard about it).
If you could enlist the help of an experienced hunter/tracker it wouldn't be difficult to pick up her tracks... The creek/ravine's are the worst part but when it hasn't rained the water doesn't go over rainboots (you have to cross at the right spot).
It is far from pleasant but its a possibility...the shot itself could cause her to panic which is my biggest fear and she may pass out in a unsafe area.

mesaana
October 21st, 2006, 06:41 PM
It is far from pleasant but its a possibility...the shot itself could cause her to panic which is my biggest fear and she may pass out in a unsafe area.

Maybe I didn't express myself right... That's exactly what I meant :)

LOYAL Rescue
October 22nd, 2006, 12:08 PM
Maddie is still living down on Ledbury.

Last night I took a large dog crate down to the area hoping she would go inside and I could close the door... I had pizza I had just cooked and it smelled pretty good, and she wanted SO much to get that pizza, and I waited and waited and sat on my milkcrate until there was no feeling in my feet and she woudl circle and approach the crate and put her nose in and then fly away again.. so I got in the van and as SOON as I closed the van door she was in the crate eating the pizza.

So now I am thinking of a way to close the door from further away
this morning the animal control showed up and I called him over and he watched her too.. I was back at the road and she was in the crate eating the hot dogs while we were watching her and even made to follow me at a distance as I got in the car. the officer saifd they had a trap operated by pressue and he might bring it down today and put it where she is living.

Toonces
October 22nd, 2006, 12:28 PM
:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

the gang
October 22nd, 2006, 09:54 PM
ok little maddie its 3 weeks today, its getting cold out there , Please let ruth catch you i have fingers and toes crossed little girl, its time to give up hugs :sad: brenda and the pins.

the gang
October 23rd, 2006, 06:03 PM
anything???????

rainbow
October 23rd, 2006, 06:13 PM
Maddie is still living down on Ledbury.

Last night I took a large dog crate down to the area hoping she would go inside and I could close the door... I had pizza I had just cooked and it smelled pretty good, and she wanted SO much to get that pizza, and I waited and waited and sat on my milkcrate until there was no feeling in my feet and she woudl circle and approach the crate and put her nose in and then fly away again.. so I got in the van and as SOON as I closed the van door she was in the crate eating the pizza.

So now I am thinking of a way to close the door from further away
this morning the animal control showed up and I called him over and he watched her too.. I was back at the road and she was in the crate eating the hot dogs while we were watching her and even made to follow me at a distance as I got in the car. the officer saifd they had a trap operated by pressue and he might bring it down today and put it where she is living.

Is is possible to get a bear trap to use? :fingerscr

BusterBoo
October 24th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Any more news???? It's another wet cold night in Ottawa....:sad:

the gang
October 24th, 2006, 08:29 PM
oh cmon maddie be caught:angel:

jawert1
October 26th, 2006, 01:34 PM
:: bump :: any news?

the gang
October 26th, 2006, 05:14 PM
oh god i was hopping something i have herd nothing in 2 days please maddie cmon.

Inverness
October 26th, 2006, 05:15 PM
No news. The lady who is looking after Maddie and trying to catch her is gone for a few days at the moment, so nothing is going to happen. :(

the gang
October 26th, 2006, 06:09 PM
oh poor baby hope she is ok,:fingerscr i know ruth is going away for a bit, i thought she was caught poor maddie.

pottawatomie
October 27th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Please Note That I Have Decided To Withdraw The Offer Of A $400 Reward For Maddie's Capture. Had She Disappeared, A Reward Would Have Made Sense But Under The Circumstances, It Seems Ill-advised And Could Even Be Counterproductive. It's Clear That The People Trying To Catch Maddie Are Doing So Out Of A Disinterested Concern For Her Welfare. Adding Money To The Equation Will If Anything Create The Risk Of Inducing Others To Join The Effort For The Wrong Reasons And, Especially Bec She S Such A Timid Dog, Scaring Her Away From The Area To Which She's Become Habituated.
I Pray For Her Safe Return.

Shaykeija
October 28th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Did I miss something? :shrug:

Toonces
October 28th, 2006, 07:53 AM
A very nice man has offered a $400 reward, please make sure that is added to all the posters, just that there is a large reward.

He also suggested, if it would work, a crock pot on very low heat with meat cooking, constantly watched of course, with a huge extension cord to keep it going. He also wondered if they have a tranquilizer gun at animal control, that someone knows how to use, that might be an option.

This was posted on another rescue board as well

It was offered shortly after she went missing

the gang
October 28th, 2006, 07:04 PM
i sure hope something happenes soon it has been raining very hard damp and cold hope she has a safe place poor baby this is breaking my heart:fingerscr

Shaykeija
October 29th, 2006, 12:19 AM
:pray: Thanks I must have missed that. I hope the fur baby is caught soon.

the gang
October 29th, 2006, 05:59 PM
well we had a bit of snow today in hudson quebec, maddie hurry up be caught!!! you will have lots of food and a warm bed its 4 weeks today, cmon its time brenda and the 4 pins,:pray:

BusterBoo
November 1st, 2006, 09:36 PM
any news???????? Maddie.....a lot of people are pulling for you.....it's time to go home .....:sad:

BusterBoo
November 3rd, 2006, 03:02 PM
The last positive post was from when Maddie was seen on October 21st! Any news?? Have they given up?????

rainbow
November 3rd, 2006, 06:17 PM
I haven't been checking here since Oct. 25 when computer died. I thought about Maddie every day and was really hoping to find some good news on my return. :sad:

Has the lady (Ruth?) returned yet?

the gang
November 5th, 2006, 05:55 PM
1 month today!!!!! any news at all on maddie??????? brenda and the pins.:fingerscr

chico2
November 6th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Maybe people have given up on Maddie,could she possibly survive this long:sad: ?

the gang
November 6th, 2006, 08:48 AM
lets hope so :fingerscr

rainbow
November 6th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Maybe people have given up on Maddie,could she possibly survive this long:sad: ?

If she is getting food and water she can survive as long as she stays out of traffic. :fingerscr

I can't see them giving up on her but I wish someone would give us an update. :fingerscr

the gang
November 6th, 2006, 03:42 PM
i agree, have been sitting on pins and needles.:yell: cmon maddie

mesaana
November 7th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Just posted now!!!! :thumbs up

Ruth Cottrill just called and the man that has befriended Maddie the Husky
was able to slip a collar on her neck tonight and bring her to Ruth Cottrill
in Ottawa. Maddie is now in Ruth's garage:-).

~michelle~
November 7th, 2006, 06:43 PM
AWESOME :) :thumbs up :cloud9: :highfive: :grouphug: :) :love: theres not enough happy icons to express my joy :D

rainbow
November 7th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Oh thank god. :highfive: I'm so happy but I've got tears rolling down my cheeks. :D

Thank you so much to the man for all his persistance and patience with Maddie. :highfive: :grouphug:

And, thank you to everyone else involved as well. :highfive: :grouphug:

Maddie, I am so glad you finally decided to trust. :angel:

Please post with further updates on Maddie's progress. :fingerscr

BusterBoo
November 7th, 2006, 07:11 PM
:pray: Thank God! Maddie is finally safe.....for some reason her story really affected me!

Tonight Maddie will be warm and well fed! :cloud9:

the gang
November 7th, 2006, 08:03 PM
wounderful news as i sit her with tears rolling down my face, am tickled pink thank god after 4 weeks the little monkey is safe thank you ruth and the wounderful man who has saved maddie ruth if you read this a job well done and from all of us in rescue a very big thank you for not giving up on maddie :grouphug: brenda and the pins.

K9Friend
November 7th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Awesome! Keep us posted! :thumbs up

Frenchy
November 7th, 2006, 08:53 PM
OMG I can't believe it !!! woooohooooo ! :highfive: Finally ! :dog:

cpietra16
November 7th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Thank you thankyou thankyou...I can finally exhale:D

LL1
November 7th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Hurray!!!So thrilled she was caught,hope shes doing ok after 6.5 weeks on the run.

Prin
November 7th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Yey!!! That's awesome! :highfive:

catsnatcher-CDN
November 7th, 2006, 09:43 PM
just in the nick o' time. She'll have a cozy winter.

Toonces
November 8th, 2006, 04:17 AM
YAY!! Great news:thumbs up

chico2
November 8th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Thank you,thank you,to this unknown hero and Ruth,for making a rainy miserable day look so much betterhttp://bestsmileys.com/excited/2.gif

Skryker
November 8th, 2006, 08:27 AM
:dog: :cloud9: I'm so glad that people didn't give up on her! What wonderful news!

hazelrunpack
November 8th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I've been lurking in this thread since I joined last month--haven't posted; but I can't express how much relief I feel that Maddie has been taken in again! Whew! Way to go, Maddie! :thumbs up And "way to go" all the people who helped out and didn't give up. :thumbs up :thumbs up And that friendly guy should get a medal for his patience and perserverance!

Shaykeija
November 8th, 2006, 09:57 AM
I am so glad this soul was saved. I needed some good news today.:cloud9:

BusterBoo
November 8th, 2006, 09:58 AM
I just received an email from someone in Ottawa who was involved with Maddie and she said that Maddie is resting comfortably in a Vet clinic. She is OK!!!!! :cloud9:

jawert1
November 8th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Hallelujah, I'm so happy she was captured and is now safe and warm. :highfive:

dtbmnec
November 8th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Wooo hoooo :)

I'm so glad she's ok.

Megan

P.S. Next time you guys "decide" to lose a dog, try to lose one a bit less stubborn about coming back! :p

(yes that was a joke!)

rainbow
November 8th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I just received an email from someone in Ottawa who was involved with Maddie and she said that Maddie is resting comfortably in a Vet clinic. She is OK!!!!! :cloud9:

That is soooo good to hear. :highfive: :cloud9:

shannon1233A
November 9th, 2006, 11:27 AM
YEAAAA MADDIE! I've been soooo worried! I wish you the great life you deserve honey :angel:

rainbow
November 14th, 2006, 03:34 AM
Does anyone know how Maddie is doing? :fingerscr :fingerscr

mesaana
November 14th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Maddie is doing well. She's now at her new rescue (was transported on Friday, no stops along the way!)

She apparently is a little nervous, but eating well :thumbs up

chico2
November 14th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Good to hear,she's had quiet an ordeal,I can imagine it will take some time for her to settle in and feel secure.
Hopefully there will be a kind undestanding soul working with her and eventually a wonderful home:fingerscr

Inverness
November 14th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Bringing the thread back up since I just got my internet connection back after moving and wanted to thank everyone for their help and ongoing support while we were all waiting for Maddie's safe return. She's a strong girl to still be alive and well, and I hope she now finds the family she so much deserves ! :love:

rainbow
November 14th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks so much for the updates and glad that Maddie is doing well. :highfive: There's been a lot of interest about her (190 posts) and I hope someone will post about her continuing progress. :fingerscr :fingerscr

mesaana
November 15th, 2006, 07:06 PM
One more update, from today:

She is doing so well. She is now looking forward to her walks and showing more confidence with us and pleasure in having company. She's eating well too which is a good sign of adjustment. :thumbs up

Frenchy
November 15th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Good girl Maddie ! :thumbs up

the gang
November 15th, 2006, 08:46 PM
way to go maddie, im so happy for you little one!!! hugs, brenda and the pins:cloud9:

rainbow
November 15th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Mesaana, thanks for the update....I am so glad that Maddie is adjusting so well. :thumbs up

chico2
November 16th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Mesaana,that's great news,thank you!
I was worried she would be too skittish and afraid,to ever be adopted,she is a very lucky deserving girl:love:

rainbow
November 26th, 2006, 02:13 AM
I still think about Maddie....any updates? :o