Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

heart troubles?

Beetlecat
September 23rd, 2006, 02:28 PM
As a continuation of my earlier post but with a more accurate name. I think LavenderRott might be correct saying my dog could have heart problems.

I took him to the park today and he was eager to play but lasted maybe 5 or 10 minutes of hard exercise before he stopped and layed down. He was panting hard, his ears were pinned back, and eyes were wide. He has always panted heavily but it used to be I was always the one quitting first.

His hips seemed strong when I pushed down on them and he was walking okay. I think the occasional swaggering and stiffed leggedness may be from his bowed legs (his back paws overlap when walking) and crooked gait (runs with back paws beside and between front paws, rather than directly behind).

I pushed down on his back and it gave easily, but maybe it's just cause he was tired.

Lastly, he was very aggressive with the other dogs at the park. He has always been aggressive to humans (strangers), but he was always good with other dogs. He liked to chase them and nip their heels (something I tried to keep in check) but it was all in fun. Today he actually chased them off aggressively and managed to pull a hank of hair off one. Not a dog fight, he just didn't want them bugging him. He acts like a crotchety old man.

Anything I should keep an eye out for? Possible symptoms? How should this be disgnosed? How should I exercise him? He wants to run but I'm getting worried about the strain on him. Leash walk him only? He will have to be muzzled for that since I'm also worried about his aggression escalating(sp?) if he feels sickly.

I will be taking him to a vet, I just want as much info as I can take them so we can figure this out quickly and with less hassle and wasted money.

Prin
September 23rd, 2006, 05:25 PM
I don't think you'll be able to save money... I didn't see your original thread, but it could be a thyroid thing too. I'm not sure if with dogs it's the same as it is with humans, but with hyperthyroid in humans, a symptom is intolerance to heat.:shrug: Plus with dogs, it can lead to aggression too.

Either way, heart trouble or hormonal issue, whatever it is seems to be progressing quickly... :o

MyBirdIsEvil
September 23rd, 2006, 05:26 PM
I would still have his hips x-rayed, because it sounds like they may a bit sore too.
If he has heart problems who knows what other problems he may have :shrug:

I don't know much about heart problems in dogs, but here's a website on heart disease:
http://www.avma.org/careforanimals/animatedjourneys/pethealth/canine.asp

Although some of the early stages of heart failure in dogs have no visible signs, heart failure can be diagnosed through a clinical evaluation by a veterinarian. Dogs with mild to moderate heart failure typically experience heart enlargement, coughing, lethargy and difficulty breathing. Severe heart failure is characterized by difficulty breathing (even at rest), fainting, profound intolerance to exercise, loss of appetite and weight loss.

If I find more info I'll be sure to post.

Oh yeah, I meant to mention pancreatic problems (like high or low blood sugar) can cause fatigue and irritability too. It's hard to tell, since many problems can cause a dog to act similarly.

http://papa.essortment.com/caninediabetes_rkvf.htm This website also says that diabetes can cause weakness in the rear legs.

Here's another site on heart disease, and it mentions one of the signs are being tired after exercise and coughing:
http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/Heart.html

LavenderRott
September 23rd, 2006, 07:04 PM
LavenderRott isn't a vet and can not diagnose your dogs health over the internet. But then again, neither can a vet!

It could be any number of things - heart issues just came to my mind when reading your original post.

Please, seek help from a real veterinarian that can see and examine your dog. It would be awful if your dog died while you were looking for help here.

rainbow
September 23rd, 2006, 07:36 PM
I agree with the others and are glad you are taking him to the vet for diagnosis. Good luck and please post with an update.

Beetlecat
September 24th, 2006, 11:03 AM
LavenderRott isn't a vet and can not diagnose your dogs health over the internet. But then again, neither can a vet!

It could be any number of things - heart issues just came to my mind when reading your original post.

Please, seek help from a real veterinarian that can see and examine your dog. It would be awful if your dog died while you were looking for help here.

I did not intend to put you on a vetrenary pedestal :) Only that I had convinced myself his change in activity level had to be his hips, 'cause of his existing skeletal problems and poor breeding. I never even considered anything else.

He has been declining slowly over the last several months, so I feel safe waiting an extra week. I just did not notice the changes as much until I returned to the city. And I want to observe him closely for a time to make sure there is a problem and not just a change in behaviour due to us moving back to the city from the country.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Prin
September 24th, 2006, 11:19 AM
I think it's better to head in to be safe. If it is a heart problem, and it's already affecting the lungs, it's likely that it's moving far along.

rainbow
September 24th, 2006, 01:19 PM
If your dog's health is declining why do you "feel safe" making the poor guy wait another week? :confused:

Please do not make him suffer any longer and take him to the vet ASAP. :fingerscr