Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Aurgh,,,, Bad Morning!

erykah1310
September 23rd, 2006, 10:33 AM
This is going to be a multi topic post so I dont know where it should go.

Just got back from the vet with Puppy, the verdict on him... His hips are getting a bit worse, his arthritis is about the same, his liver tests came back the same as before, and his sneezing/grass eating fit, Im just being paraniod. So all in all, his vistit was alright.

HOWEVER.
Im worried about Nikitas behavior lately.
This morning while we were getting ready, she was going about her normal morning routine, eating a bit of breakfast, and snoozing in front of the heater. Larry and Mia were running around on the nascar track that is known as my home as usual.
Larry ran by Kita and she hopped up, "boxer clubbed " him. and really hurt him, when he was spitting and hissing at her ( and i was getting up from my coffee and morning tv time) she attacked him.
Larry of cource had to come to the vet this morning too. He has a broken front right leg and 2 puncture wounds in his abdomen. If i wouldnt have been right there Ithink she may have killed him.
Im worried, i have noticed her getting a bit moody lately. Shes not her usual tolerant self anymore.
She has way more energy now with her new food and not to mention the increases muscle mass. ( I d love to share a picture, but we all know of my digi cam issue)
Never in a million years would I consider rehoming Kita. I do however want to control this new behavior problem.
Im worried that the next time she goes after one of the cats I wont be around and she may kill one.
HELP.

badger
September 23rd, 2006, 10:51 AM
From way off in left field...
Those two 'symptoms', increased muscle mass and aggression, made me think of steroids or other 'natural' substances which people use to bulk up.
Is there any chance he's getting these from somewhere? Sometimes they put steroids in with antibiotics, to help make the animal actually feel better while he is healing. Then there's the whole subject of our environment being full of man-made chemicals which mimic hormones - although mostly you hear about estrogen mimics, not testosterone.
Pretty scary. Are you planning to lock the cats up when you go out?

Prin
September 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
Or maybe a thyroid issue too. Thyroid things can cause moodiness and aggression.:shrug:

I think you have to explore everything medical before you assume it's just behavioral. Good luck.:fingerscr :grouphug:

SarahLynn123
September 23rd, 2006, 11:56 AM
Could he be in more pain then you think? There was an extremely gentle dog that became really old and sore, and would snap and growl at kids when they went near him, he would never do this in his younger years. (He was a 16 year old GSD and has since been pts)

Maybe he is in pain and is protecting himself from potentially more pain???

Im just throwing out ideas!

chico2
September 23rd, 2006, 01:54 PM
Erykah,that must have been really scary,both for the poor cat and you,very lucky you were there to stop it.I agree with the others,maybe she is in more pain than you think.
Pain can certainly alter your mood,I hope you can get to the bottom of this and in the meantime keep the cats seperate from her if possible,but I am sure you know that already.
Poor kitty with a broken leg:sad:

rainbow
September 23rd, 2006, 03:26 PM
I agree with Prin and would get her thyroid checked as well. I would also keep Larry and Mia separated from her when you're not around. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

erykah1310
September 24th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I am going to be putting the cats in the cat room when im gone., that was just way to damn scary. Today and the rest of yesterday she was her normal self around the cats. She was cuddling with them like all her pics I have posted.
I am going to bring her in and get her thyroid checked I hadnt even thought of medical reasons, ( caught up in the whole incident yesterday) I really hope that it was just an "accident" but I cant stand knowing that she may hurt one of the cats again.

I called the vet yesterday before they closed to check on Larry, he is stable but the vets are concerned about his puncture wounds getting infected. I can go pick him up tomorrow after work, he's going to be on antibiotics for a bit.
I still cant believe that my ever so gentle Kita gurl would do that.:confused: I am going to make an appointment for her next saturday. Thanks for the suggestions. I never thought that it could be Kita not feeling well.

Frenchy
September 24th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I'm so sorry Erykah :( Hope it turns out to be something not too serious.:fingerscr :pray:

rainbow
September 24th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Awww, I hope Larry's wounds don't get infected. :fingerscr

chico2
September 25th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Erykah,I am sorry about Larry,did not realize he was still at the vets,hopefully there will be no nasty infection.:fingerscr
This incident will probably throw your household harmony for a loop:sad:
We always need logical answers as to why things go wrong,with our otherwise sweet animals,if something ails Kita :fingerscr that it can be helped:pray:

erykah1310
September 25th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Larry's home now. He looks so tired.:sad: and pitiful. his cast and his belly all shaved with stitches. Other than that he is in good spirits. When i let him out of his carrier and layed him on the couch beside me for some " luvin" Puppy and Kita came over for a sniff. And Suprisingly he isnt afraid of Kita. He is now resting beside me in the computer room. He ate and had a little drink and is now kinda snoozing. I guess he is happy to be home. Thankfullly Kita didnt hit any of his vital organs or his intestines. The vet said he should make a good recovery. :fingerscr

chico2
September 25th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Erykah,that's good to hear,I am sure he'll recover faster now,that he is home:fingerscr
I am surprised he's not afraid of Kita,but I guess he's forgiven her..:fingerscr

erykah1310
September 25th, 2006, 04:05 PM
When the dogs sniffed him, Puppy gave him a "little " kiss. ( totally slobbered his face) and Kita was right there sniffing too, he started to purr and kinda leaned into them and purred. He must understand that she prolly didnt mean to hurt him. ( Im still not taking any chances for a long time with her and the cats though)

Prin
September 25th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Either that or there was a reason and Larry somehow deserved it...:o (I don't make the rules...:o)

I'm glad he's ok...

Frenchy
September 25th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Poor Larry! Speedy recovery little :cat: How's Puppy ?

erykah1310
September 25th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Puppy is alright, i was just over paraniod with the sneezing/grass eating thing.
You know how it is.... one little thing and all your world crumbles.

rainbow
September 25th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Glad Larry is home now with a good prognosis. Also great to hear that he isn't afraid of Kita.