Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

NEED HELP...my puppy swallowed something she shouldn't have!

SchnorkieLucy
September 23rd, 2006, 11:16 AM
This is kindof embarrassing but I really need advice. My yorkie/schnauzer crossed puppy, who is 4 months old, swallowed 2 latex condoms (Yes I know, disgusting and completely humiliating to explain). I'm really worried about her, what should I do? Will she digest it? Will she need surgery to remove it? Anyone have any advice? Please don't make jokes, I'm worried she won't be okay. I read that dogs can digest latex toys that might break off when they are chewing on them......I don't know what to do. Please help! Thank you:pray:

pitgrrl
September 23rd, 2006, 11:31 AM
I can't really imagine that she would digest them. She may vomit them up, they might pass through or they could cause a blockage. The point being, there are any number of things that could happen, but a trip to the vet is always good when there is cause for concern.

At the very least, call your vet and ask if they think you should bring her in right away or wait for any signs that there is a blockage.

vfrohloff
September 23rd, 2006, 11:48 AM
I would call the vet just in case, but they'll probably pass through her, especially if they were lubricated. :D My Sophie ate a pair of latex gloves one time and she was fine, mind you she was an adult at the time. Hope your puppy is ok.

SchnorkieLucy
September 23rd, 2006, 02:01 PM
She pooped one out!!!!! I am sooo happy. Hopefully the other passes through to. Thank you for the help guys!