Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hip troubles?

Beetlecat
September 22nd, 2006, 02:11 PM
My dog is just over 2 years old and is very tired out with vigerous activity.

He cannot play as long as he used to and pants loudly. If possible, he will walk over to a puddle and ly down in it so his belly and inner thighs are soaked. It is not hot out.

Is this normal considering he is no longer a puppy?

I do not want to rollerblade with him either because I'm worried about the strain on him running on concrete (We're just back in the city after 5 months in the country).

He is very bowlegged when he walks, but he stands fairly square and is not cow-hocked. And I have noticed him 'stilt' walk (stifly and with a slight stagger). Is this likely hip dysplatia? Or perhaps something else.

I am looking for ideas and opions before taking him to a vet.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 22nd, 2006, 04:32 PM
And I have noticed him 'stilt' walk (stifly and with a slight stagger). Is this likely hip dysplatia? Or perhaps something else.

That's definately a sign of hip dysplasia or malformation.
My collie already has bad enough hips that when we got him x-rayed at 4 months old he shows obvious malformation in his hips. He walks like you described and he gets tired enough on long walks that he can barely get into the car on his own. I would definately take your dog in to get x-rayed, because at 2 years old he's old enough to find out definitively whether or not he's dysplastic.
As far as other signs, does he run funny, with a bit of a hop? (not always present). Does he have trouble squatting, like when he has to poo? My collie has TONS of trouble with that 'cause his hips are weak. If you push down gently on his back end does he have trouble holding himself up?(try this after exercise especially)
If you suspect dysplasia I would be letting him run as little as possible, because this puts a lot of strain on his hips. If you want to exercise him take him on long slow walks with NO running. Swimming is also a very good exercise for dysplastic dogs because it doesn't put impact on the joints.

we3beagles
September 22nd, 2006, 04:54 PM
It is not a good idea to rollerblade or bike with your dog anyways. They get tired out fast and can over exert without you realizing it. In Calgary it is against the law to do these things with your dog. Check the bylaws in your area.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 22nd, 2006, 05:39 PM
I would have to say that depends on the breed and the individual dog.
It also depends on how fast you're riding your bike or rollerblading and for how long.
Even an avid runner could wear out certain dogs just by running with them, so you have to know your dog and their limits.

LavenderRott
September 22nd, 2006, 11:10 PM
He cannot play as long as he used to and pants loudly. If possible, he will walk over to a puddle and ly down in it so his belly and inner thighs are soaked. It is not hot out.

This sounds more like a heart issue then a hip issue to me. Your best bet would be to see a vet.

As far as rollerblading or riding a bike with your dog - if it is a healthy adult dog there is no reason not to. I know many people who do so.