Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who's a monster now??

x.l.r.8
September 22nd, 2006, 11:48 AM
Ok I have to say this, My name is Adie and I was a Hills user, I have been clean for 2 weeks and through the support of my pets I'm hoping to stay that way. :D :D :D
But seriously who due to Techno, Prin and the others who I'm to lazy to go back and read :sorry: has now become label junkies, have started arguements about the crap in grocery brand foods. But just untill a short while ago belived iams was a better brand than Purina and Hills was about as good as it got, and that holistic foods were like the fad of the pet world. And now you have become monsters or slaves to the labels on every pet product you pick up.
I have always been alergic to nut oil, to a point of 3 hospitalisations, and the last time was to prove I can't eat a snickers bar (I was a nursing student and drunk), so always read labels as an automatic reaction. But I was looking for 1 type of ingredient, it makes me smile to know that I'm doing a similar thing for my pets now. So Thanks all you un-named crusaiders who will improve my Puppys life, and hopefully benifit my cats aswell.

technodoll
September 22nd, 2006, 12:10 PM
that's enough fuel to make my "happy car" run for miles :D

you know, when i had my two dobies (early 90's) i fed them what I thought was the best... Purina Pro Plan, Nutro Max, etc. I read labels but didn't know what i was looking for! Information was harder to come by 15 years ago and i wish, oh! i wish i had known about the raw diet back then... i would have saved thousands of $$ in vet bills and eventually, the premature loss of my two loves :sad: Even holistic kibbles were just cracking through the market...

before Dakotah came home I swore to use all the available information at my fingertips to feed him the best possible diet, and I started googling & reading on the petfood industry... and haven't stopped since! I joined nutrition forums, seeked out knowledgeable folks, asked a thousand questions, bought the recommended books, etc. it's been an interesting journey, to say the least! Poor dakotah was my "living science experiement" as we went through pretty much all the holistic kibbles on the market (since he started to shun raw at 8 months), landed with expensive vet bills and gastric troubles, oh lordy... ALL IS OK NOW, thank the lord!!

knowledge never stops at the front door. I still ask questions, keep abreast of new petfood developments (seek and you shall find!), continue to question my choices & monitor my dogs' health closely. I think I finally found the right formula for them, and hope to give back some of the help I received in my quest for answers. :highfive:

mummummum
September 22nd, 2006, 10:15 PM
Awww...what a nice post Adie ~ and we are soooooo glad you're finally "in recovery":D . The leaps and bounds in the science behind processed dog food and awareness amongst consumers is quite startling. I became a research junkie into holistic approaches to care and nutrition when my grrrl's came along seven years ago and settled on raw/ home cooked. When Declan came along , it became clear fairly quickly that wasn't going to work for him and was thrilled to find this site, The Dog Food Project and others which have helped me navigate the mysteries of kibble. It's been great to be able to ask questions and not be made to feel dense, gain from other's experiences and find support in my ongoing find-the-perfect-food saga. The folks here are a good bunch of dog-people:thumbs up .

SunGurl372
September 23rd, 2006, 12:03 PM
I was feeding Nutro Max when I came on here, and thought I had really improved Harley's diet, since I moved her off of Iams and onto the Nutro all by myself. :D

Needless to say, with the help of Prin and others on this board, I figured out what I was really feeding to my furkid. I upgraded Harley to Solid Gold Wolf King but had to move on when it became to hard to find (which now seems a blessing with the current hubbub on the formula changes) and ultimately ended up feeding Timberwolf Oranics.

Now, I'm starting to eyeball the Evo RM. Not because Harley's having issues on the TO or because I can't get the TO, but simply because Prin and Technodoll are supporting it! With their knowledge on the topic, it must be good!

What can I say??? :shrug:

Prin
September 23rd, 2006, 12:32 PM
Yeah, but sometimes, no matter how much you think you know, the dog food companies throw you way off track. :rolleyes: You just have to keep up with them.:shrug: