Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

DentaTreat

t.pettet
September 21st, 2006, 07:28 PM
Am dog sitting and (Lucy) arrived with all the necessities including something I have to sprinkle on her food for 25 days straight. Its called DentaTreat and is made by Wysong www.wysong.net. It looks like parmesan cheese and is supposed to loosen plaque so that it eventually falls off the teeth. My dogs were very interested in the smell so sprinkled some on theirs and will see if it makes any significant difference, although only 1 of mine has dental issues. Anyone heard of this product and what were your findings? It hasn't altered the consumption of food or water or consistency of stool and they really love the taste.

pitgrrl
September 21st, 2006, 08:06 PM
I've used it, I think for about 2 months. the principle of it makes sense, I've read that giving little kids cheese as a snack helps to keep their teeth in good shape because the enzymes in the cheese help break down the plaque, or something along those lines.

My own experience was that their teeth didn't get worse, but I couldn't tell you if they actually got better. I brush their teeth anyways, so since the stuff is so expensive, I just decided that the brushing was probably enough on it's own.

chico2
September 22nd, 2006, 07:01 AM
I too have used it,but for my cats,still have it in the cupboard.
After having paid huge teethcleaning bills for my cats,I was looking for something to prevent tartar.
I used it for a while,don't know if it worked or not,but I think I'll start using it again,now when I was reminded:thumbs up

t.pettet
September 22nd, 2006, 08:21 PM
Lucy's owners only use it twice a year for 25 days each stretch. Am going to monitor if it really removes tartar and post an update in 23 days.:thumbs up

rainbow
September 23rd, 2006, 01:48 PM
Looking forward to that update. :D

chico2
September 23rd, 2006, 01:58 PM
I bought some Greenies(a test-bag)treats,supposedly good for cleaning teeth and they all like it,but I can vaugely remember someting bad about Greenies,especially for dogs,what about cats???
The Greenie treats are the size of any other treat for cats.

rainbow
September 23rd, 2006, 03:18 PM
Chico, as far as I know, the Greenies are bad for dogs because they tend to swallow chunks. As long as your cats aren't doing that they should be okay. Are there any yucky ingredients though?

chico2
September 23rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
Rainbow,I just checked,I assumed the ingredients would be ok,compared to other treats these are expensive,but I was wrong,not many healthy ingredients in Greenies for cats,so that settles that!

t.pettet
October 15th, 2006, 08:23 PM
:thumbs up After 25 days using this product I can actually say it worked really well on my dogs, not only clean sparkling teeth (even the back teeth are tartar free) but no more doggy breath and they love the taste. Its really not expensive at all considering you only use it for 25 days straight twice a year at a price of $14.00. Sure beats the vet's yearly dental bill, and eliminates the need for anesthesia. Impressive.

hazelrunpack
October 15th, 2006, 08:37 PM
DentaTreat... Definitely will have to try that--especially if it reduces the need for cleanings at the vet. Sure is a lot less expensive... Thanks for the tip. :thumbs up

rainbow
October 15th, 2006, 09:02 PM
:thumbs up After 25 days using this product I can actually say it worked really well on my dogs, not only clean sparkling teeth (even the back teeth are tartar free) but no more doggy breath and they love the taste. Its really not expensive at all considering you only use it for 25 days straight twice a year at a price of $14.00. Sure beats the vet's yearly dental bill, and eliminates the need for anesthesia. Impressive.

Did it actually remove existing tartar from your dogs' teeth?