Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rockys having MORE problems due to muzzle!

babyrocky1
September 21st, 2006, 05:46 PM
I had a long post going on here about Rockys recent hematoma surgery due to him constantly bashing his ear trying to get his muzzle off...his ear is finally healing up! thats the goodnews, now he has YET ANOTHER huge sore on his nose from his muzzle. I think what happened is that the leather got hard after it got wet. I have softened it with olive oil but now he cant wear it cause it just keeps opening the sore, I have temporarily switched to a nylon muzzle which is really way too big but I thought this would be his only option till I can heal the sores but there not healing!

I am putting on polysporin and tried to bandage it but that didnt work very well. I need to protect his face from rubbing against the muzzle so it can heal. Does anyone have any ideas???

wdawson
September 21st, 2006, 05:52 PM
is there a medical clause in the bsl........i think there is for the spay\neuter.

wdawson
September 21st, 2006, 05:57 PM
wonder if you could wrap the strap with some very wooly sheep skin type stuff,the kind of things you see on halters for horses.

jesse's mommy
September 21st, 2006, 06:13 PM
OMG that's so sad. Poor Rocky. Here's hugs and kisses from Jesse and me. :grouphug:

pitgrrl
September 21st, 2006, 06:17 PM
A friend of mine's dog had a sore from a Gentle Leader that kept getting re-opened. She didn't want to stop using it, for whatever reason, so she wrapped it in mole skin, which stopped the sore from developing again.

I'm sure I"ve seen basket muzzles with padding where is makes contact with the face, maybe something like that would help?

These aren't pretty at all, but they're padded:
http://www.elitek9.com/Muzzles/index.htm
http://www.morrco.com/mm07.html

babyrocky1
September 21st, 2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks guys, I did get the mole skin and the muzzle is resoftened but the sores are so bad that any contact right now with anything soft or not they re-open again. Im now thinking of trying polysporin on some guaze and stuffing it in between his nose and the muzzle....I know what he needs is simply to not wear it for at least a week but obviously thats not possible:sad:

He has had a horrible rash from one of his earlier muzzles, another time sores like this one but not as bad, and then the hematoma and now this! I think I have had six different muzzles... The orlo is the best one, but I think it just got hardened after last weeks rain and i didnt realise til I took it off him and he was so swolen but each day he gets worse.

babyrocky1
September 21st, 2006, 06:36 PM
is there a medical clause in the bsl........i think there is for the spay\neuter.No there isnt, I found that out with his recent operation:eek: Yet another very big flaw in the bill.... I tried putting a bandage on him but it didnt stick:confused: The sores need to be covered tightly some how cause its the rubbing that opening them right up, no matter how gentle or soft the fabric is... its never been this bad before. There must be someway of bancdaging a dog. maybe Ill call the vets in the am and see if they know of anything.

OntarioGreys
September 22nd, 2006, 07:38 AM
Use a strip of fabric like flannel about 4 to 6 inches wide about 2 feet long, fold lengthwise, inside the center you can put some padding like a make up sponge, put the center of the strip over the muzzle bring the ends down and 1/2 twist the ends under the chin bring the ends on either side of the head and tie behind the ears

mummummum
September 22nd, 2006, 05:36 PM
Okay it's just a thought. Go to a 2nd hand sports store and get two kid's hockey masks ie. the Bauer model and jerry-rig it with a proper closure and straps until his face heals. 18298

mummummum
September 22nd, 2006, 08:04 PM
...or get a finger splint from the drug store (they have a semi-rigid metal outer strip with a foam lining), cut it in half and velcro the metal sides to the inside of your nylon muzzle on either side of the sore/ raw area so that the muzzle is lifted from that area of his snozz and cannot irritate it.

babyrocky1
September 22nd, 2006, 09:18 PM
WOW you guys are creative !!! I have to read these posts again and see what I can find.....!

babyrocky1
September 22nd, 2006, 09:24 PM
...or get a finger splint from the drug store (they have a semi-rigid metal outer strip with a foam lining), cut it in half and velcro the metal sides to the inside of your nylon muzzle on either side of the sore/ raw area so that the muzzle is lifted from that area of his snozz and cannot irritate it.Hmmm, the sores are really close to either side of his muzzle, (his own muzzle, not the store bought one, so I will need someihting to hold up in the middle. I will take these two very inspirational ideas and try again to rig something up! Im now working on the Orlo muzzle again cuz the pieces that actually hit him are smaller... its very hard to explain! I wish I could post a pic.

mummummum
September 22nd, 2006, 11:20 PM
Maybe some variation on this ? The red is where I think his ouchie might be and the green strips are where you could place the finger splint pieces. I'm sure you'll MacGyver up something ~ poor little guy:sad: :grouphug: Rocky!

raingirl
September 23rd, 2006, 12:08 PM
Have you tried Liquid bandage?? It's kinda like superglue/nailpolish, but safe to put on wounds!! I like the "new skin" brand the best.

It's great for paper cuts or things that are hard to put bandaids on. Just put a thin layer first and let it dry, then put a second layer on and wait until dry. Takes about 15 minutes to be totally hard. It does sting though. This will cover the wound while it heals, but if it is larger/oozing, I suggest removing the liquid bandage layer onces every 24 hours, which may be hard because you have to use rubbing alcohol, which will sting as well.