Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog pawing at cat

Hotrodhonda21
September 21st, 2006, 05:30 PM
Hello everyone!

I have a new puppy who is infatuated with my cat. The cat is actually ok with having the dog around until the dog gets a little to feisty and starts "pawing" at the cat. The cat "lets her know" that is not ok and will swat at the dogs nose. But the puppy gets even more excited. How do I teach the puppy good behavior to my cat? Some say, just let them work it out, the dog will learn. I dont really agree with that cause the dog thinks its a "pawing" game.

Please help. :pray:

badger
September 21st, 2006, 08:51 PM
You need to start training your dog to 'Leave it!', every time he interferes with the cat, I mean beyond the usual playfulness. If you are not there to supervise, keep them in separate rooms. The cat will let him know but if he doesn't get it, you must step in.
Sooner or later, they will come to some sort of agreement and maybe even be friends.

We love pictures!

jessymoka
September 27th, 2006, 04:44 PM
I deal with this one myself.

My pup (5 months old) loves our Mature female cat.

When I say Mature I guess I could probably say... stuck up/snobby. But I love her just the same.

It is kind of touch and go with these to girls. Sometimes she ignores the cat, others she goes for it.
Now our cat Minnie has claws... I keep telling her (my husband gets urked because he says the cat can't understand me) give her a good whack and she'll learn to leave you alone.
When Abby (our papillion, same size as the cat) seems to get out of control with Minnie I will loudly scold NO, and sometimes even remove her from the room if she does not listen to the NO.
It is Minnie's home to and no one should ever feel unsafe in their own home, cat, dog, kid, adult :)

I have recently come to consider that Minnie even through the weird little noises she makes enjoys Abby acting like a nutbag.
Because as much as Abby jumps and hops and wags her tail, etc.
Minnie just sits there, looks at her, sways her tail back and forth (in what I consider a taunting way) I told my husband, I think she actually likes it... because she has a way out... yet she does not run away.

So I scold and loud NO and remove when necessary, but as Abby ages and becomes more mature I think they will get along great. They do sometimes lay in bed with me together (civily)

Good luck with this!

jessi76
September 27th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Some say, just let them work it out, the dog will learn.

I agree with that, but only if you are there supervising. as badger said, teach the command "Leave It", supervise them, or seperate them.

I have 2 cats and a dog. both cats were grown when the pup came home at 8 wks old. He was, of course, infatuated w/ the cats. (one of which is declawed in front - she came to me that way) For the one that does have claws, I clip her front ones - just incase. a cat claw can really do a number on a dog's eye.

I taught LEAVE IT, and for times my voice wasn't working, I used a squirt bottle. The animals got the point quickly - play nice or get wet.

the three of them are GREAT friends now. Here's a pic of my dog and one of my cats trying to share a chair...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/jesss456/tuckerlu.jpg

erykah1310
September 27th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I dont agree with leaving them to work it out on their own. My household has always been harmonious with the cats and dogs, until last weekend. I was sitting right there, but still... there was BIG vet bills and emotional stress involved.

I think the "leave it" command would be a good start. An "off " button is always good ( so long as it is reliable)