Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

So gross/eating strange poop

pitgrrl
September 21st, 2006, 05:34 PM
Seriously, I'm sooooo mad

Streets doesn't normally eat poop, so I have no idea what possesed him to take a big lick of some nasty turd, mucous included, that some a** had left in the park, but he did. :yuck:

So my question is, should I be worried about parasites? Weird diseases? Anything else?

abudamunky
September 22nd, 2006, 02:27 PM
worms. tape worms break off their 'eggs' in the intestine of an infected animal and if something eats that poop then that animal can get infected. the only way to tell if ur puppy dawg has worms is to kinda wait. i'm not sure how long this will take but: his tummy w/ get bloated, and you'll see little white worm like things (pardon my graphic nature) coming out of his butt.
u can always take him to a vet and just get some pills, but i dunno how much ur vet charges and etc...... spca in cali is$20 for a 2 days dose(cats) but that depends on the size of ur puppy too..... more for bigger animals....(only need that)
good luck

MyBirdIsEvil
September 22nd, 2006, 04:19 PM
Actually tapeworms need an intermediate host, which is usually fleas. The dog has to ingest a flea with eggs in it.
There's all kinds of other parasites a dog can get from eating poop though.

Eventually the segment will dry and look more like a sesame seed. The sac breaks and tapeworm eggs are released. These eggs are not infectious to mammals. The tapeworm must reach a specific stage of development before it can infect a mammal

By the time the flea is an adult, the tapeworm is ready to infect a dog or cat. The young tapeworm is only infectious to its mammal host at this stage of its development.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tapeworm.html

pitgrrl
September 22nd, 2006, 04:21 PM
Well, I guess I'll bring in a fecal sample in a week or two.
Thanks!