Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ugly Day

Shaykeija
September 21st, 2006, 03:12 PM
I just had the mother of all ugly days. My father who is 79 wanted a small dog because he is lonely. Now he lives with my sister whom he will give her the house when he dies. She has 2 cats. I found him a small dog who is adorable. Likes people and cats, dogs, kids, even found the fish interesting. I got this dog Smokey from a neighbour who has foster kids. Well the foster kids torture this small baby so they asked me if Dad would like him. I introduced then and it was love at first sight. Dad took the dog home and Smokey is good with the one cat. Amber the one cat was let outside a long time ago by my sister and she got attacked by a dog. Now Amber is afraid of dogs. I told Dad it would take a while for Amber to get used to Smokey. Amber hid which was to be expected. My sister comes home freaks screams at the dog and throws a suit case at Smokey. He was so scared he pooped and peed at the same time. Dad was upset and brought Smokey back to me. I was crying, and Dad was really depressed. I had the mother of all fights with my sister and then she says she wants to put him in a nursing home. Yea OK can you say elder abuse? It is His home, and he is as healthy as a 79 year old can be. I also promised Dad that if anything happened to him, that I would take Smokey. This makes me so mad. Dad doesn't ask for much and this little bundle of fur made him feel wanted. I just feel like going up the 3 hour drive to Dads and cracking her right upside the head.:sad:

technodoll
September 21st, 2006, 03:24 PM
I just feel like going up the 3 hour drive to Dads and cracking her right upside the head

while that might feel GREAT :evil: it won't help the situation... you have to be diplomatically sneaky and make HER want to have smokey in the house. she probably felt like her "authority" was stepped on, her space invaded, etc... some people are weird like that and need to have everything "their own way". I say let her calm down, then make the trip to have a face-to-face conversation. You have smokey with you right now? poor dog... that's alot of trauma and changes in a short time, not to mention the life he had before. Chances are though if your sister doesn't like or want the dog no matter what... his life there will be hell :(

i feel so sorry for your poor dad. what a way to live the last few years of one's life... thanks for being so good to your father and sticking up for his rights!

joeysmama
September 21st, 2006, 03:25 PM
I feel as though I must be reading this incorrectly. Your dad lives 3 hours away? And your sister made him get in the car and drive 3 hours to bring the dog back to you? And he owns the home?

I feel so badly for your dad, and for you, and for Smokey too. It sounds as though it was a great fit for Smokey and your dad. This is a very sad story. I hope you can post again with some good news about all of this.

Where is Smokey now?

Shaykeija
September 21st, 2006, 03:29 PM
Smokey is back with his owners. My sister is just a @itch. My dad has a 3000 square foot house. She just has a mean streak in her. The only thing she is interested in is his money.

technodoll
September 21st, 2006, 03:34 PM
i don't understand why he doesn't kick her out?... :confused:

Shaykeija
September 21st, 2006, 03:38 PM
He is afraid of being alone. I have asked him to move here with me but he won't.

chico2
September 21st, 2006, 04:20 PM
OMG,what a terrible situation,that sister of yours need to wake up and see how fortunate she is to live in her FATHERS house:evil:
It makes me sooo angry,for her to deny your father the pleasure of a little dog,the cats would eventually get used to the dog,but what your sister is doing is beyond cruel.
Make sure your father does not give your sister power of attorney,or signs any papers.
I am assuming he still has all his marbles and can speak for himself.
My little old neighbor(90),whom I sort of looked after,for several years,after her husband died signed a power of attorney to her son and was shortly robbed of $250.000,the idea that her son robbed her,made her give up on life and she died at 93yrs of age basically of a broken heart.:rip: Mrs Mary Millar
Please talk this over with your father.

glasslass
September 23rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
That really makes me sad! We bought Corky for my mom when she was wanting the companionship of a little dog. I will never regret it. She loved him dearly for the next 3 years and died knowing he would be cared for and loved. Her delight in Corky is one of the best memories I have. When he snuggles with me at night, I feel close to her. Your sister needs to really think about what your father is needing.

rainbow
September 23rd, 2006, 10:31 PM
I agree. How selfish of your sister. :sad:

Prin
September 23rd, 2006, 11:54 PM
He is afraid of being alone. I have asked him to move here with me but he won't.
He won't be alone- he'll have a dog.;)

Your sister needs to wake up or karma will come back and bite her in the hiney later.:frustrated: