Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

the worst nightmare ever

technodoll
September 21st, 2006, 12:53 PM
oh god, last night i dreamt that hubby had come home from walking the dogs but no dakotah with him ... he said that dakotah had been hit by a car... we had a screaming conversation where i said why did you leave him there, he is hurt and dying, and hubby kept saying no, no, he's dead, he wasn't breathing, so i left him there... i remember crying and screaming and pounding my fists on his chest, then grabbing the car keys and saying I'm going to find him, we both went outside and it was dark, it was night, and at the bottom of the stairs there was dakotah, lying on his side, all swollen, blue, broken, blood coming from his ears and his nose, and the worst was the awful piercing crying and moaning, he was racked with pain and wheezing for breath... i knelt down to him and a million thoughts flashed through my head, how to get him to the emergency vet, oh my god he is going to die, we abandoned him, he dragged himself home not to be alone... i woke up choked and crying and sobbing at 6am... went to hug my boy soo hard he must have wondered if i was crazy... he licked my face dry, aroooed for me and wagged his happy butt, i coudn't stop kissing his big soft head... woke hubby up and told him about my nightmare and he said "dakotah is my life i would never, ever abandon him under any circumstance!" of course i know that, it was just a silly dream...

i love my dogs too much and cannot imagine the day they are no longer with me. it is scary to love someone so much :sad:

Toonces
September 21st, 2006, 03:22 PM
That is horrific! Thank god it was just a bad dream or as my nephew used to say when he was 3 "a mare of the night". I can imagine how upset you must have been:grouphug:

Skryker
September 21st, 2006, 04:09 PM
Aww, :grouphug: . I often have dreams where one of my furkids is lost and not only can I not find them, no one else seems to care. :sad: I hate that.

No wonder you gave Dakotah an extra large hug. :grouphug:

technodoll
September 21st, 2006, 04:18 PM
honestly it scares me sometimes how much i love my two galoots :o

thanks for the :grouphug: .... i know most everyone has had a bad dream or two about their loved ones.

(this was the absolutest, most realistically awful nightmare ever though)

Toonces
September 21st, 2006, 06:20 PM
It really is amazing how much we love our fur babies isn't it! They are like our children and only other animal lovers would understand, I hope tonight you have dreams filled with happiness, fun times with your babies (which BTW are very gorgeous doggies) and happy endings!:grouphug:

erykah1310
September 21st, 2006, 06:27 PM
I know what you mean by the night mare being so realistic, one night i was apparently freaking out on my bf for letting " her die" when he would ask me who died all i kept saying was "Keira" ( who had already passed away at this point) It wasnt his fault that she died, it was because of her seizures, but he said that i kept telling him "If you would of rolled up the windows in the truck she would be here" :shrug: Then I punched him ( while sleeping of cource):o he said he was never so freaked out in his life, he went and slept with Kita in her bed. I dont remember the dream but it seemed to make sence by what I was telling him.
It is amazing how much we love them, from the fist second I layed eyes on all my dogs I knew it was the deepest love ever. ( the cats too of course but for some reason it is instant when it comes to the dogs.)

Byrd
September 21st, 2006, 06:27 PM
It is just amazing how so many people can have the same biggest fear.... the car! :(

I was just thinking today, I love Willow this much, how would I be if I had a baby?

:grouphug:

Frenchy
September 21st, 2006, 07:59 PM
OMG TD,what did you eat before you went to bed :eek: It must had been horrible. I never remember my dreams,guess it's a good thing.

babyrocky1
September 21st, 2006, 08:10 PM
honestly it scares me sometimes how much i love my two galoots :o

thanks for the :grouphug: .... i know most everyone has had a bad dream or two about their loved ones.

(this was the absolutest, most realistically awful nightmare ever though) I know what you mean by "it scares me how much i love my "galoots" Rocky is my first dog and now that ive had him 7 years, wow...I keep trying never to think about it...but sometimes ya just do....! I hope it wasnt all the unpleasant posts of late giving you nightmares!:grouphug:

technodoll
September 21st, 2006, 09:20 PM
here's to Happy Dreams to everyone tonight! :dog:

hugs and cuddles to you all from the happy, healthy beanies :D and thank you for the good thoughts!

Prin
September 21st, 2006, 11:29 PM
Wow freaky dream... I've had some of those... I actually sort of lived your dream a little a couple of years ago.. My man went to walk the dogs, and I was making me breakfast and I heard a screech outside. For a few seconds, I thought it was nothing, but then the worst case scenarios came into my head- what if it was a dog scream?! So I ran to the window and Boo was lying on his side on the road. I ran down the stairs of my old apartment building and he was already moved onto the sidewalk. He stood up and started to throw up. Boo was already sick before the accident (which is why he lunged and my man lost the leash). The car that hit him didn't wait long before taking off, but the whole front was covered in Boo Poo :D, so Karma will take care of that (heh heh I hope some got in the air intake :evil: ).

Boo was ok.. Scraped up and in shock, but ok. We sat with him, wrapped in blankets in the tiny bathroom we had for about 4 hours (the vet told us he'd be ok- we did tests for internal bleeding and things). His hip bones and shoulders were scraped...

Pretty scary. :o

He's still not afraid of cars though... the twit. :frustrated:

technodoll
September 21st, 2006, 11:31 PM
holy crap! poor boo! i would have been mad with worry, grief and geez don't even get me started... my tummy hurts just to think about it :sick: how long did it take him to be ok again? :grouphug: poor boo-baby!

Prin
September 21st, 2006, 11:36 PM
He was afraid of everything for about a month after. We just had to stop and hug him hard whenever a car or truck or plane went by... He recovered though- now if he's outside when I leave, he follows my car down the street, without a care in the world.:D :rolleyes:

technodoll
September 21st, 2006, 11:37 PM
silly boo! must be a boy thing, LOL! :crazy:

Prin
September 21st, 2006, 11:38 PM
lol definitely. :D I'm glad he's not afraid, but still...

He's a survivor.:grouphug:

Skryker
September 22nd, 2006, 06:29 AM
Holy crap, Prin! I'm so glad that Boo was OK! You must have been a wreck.

Bronwyn slipped her collar on me when she was about 4 months old and ran out on the road. Luckily the on-coming cars could stop in time and once she realized where she was she stopped and waited for me to come and get her. I cried on and off all day because I was so scared when she darted out onto the road-I was so sure she was going to be hit and I couldn't get to her in time. (I feel sick all over again just thinking about it.)

I heard my neighbour's cat get hit by a car when I was about 10. I was on the other side of the road and had my back turned, but I will never forget the sound , especially of his scream when the car hit him. The worst of it is, he knew me well and I'm sure he was crossing the road to come and see me. :sad: It still haunts me 25 years later. Poor Bowser!

I was just thinking today, I love Willow this much, how would I be if I had a baby?

Byrd, I have the same type of dreams about my husband and kid-that something awful has happened. I have to say, the dreams about the animals are just as intense and bother me to the same degree. :shrug: Love is love-you give unconditionally to a furkid or a skinkid and it leaves you just as vulnerable to fear, I think.

rainbow
September 22nd, 2006, 12:33 PM
I often have dreams where one of my furkids is lost and not only can I not find them, no one else seems to care. I hate that.

I have those quite often too and the most maddening thing is, that if hubby is in the dream, he doesn't care either. :eek: And then I always wake up in a bad mood. :evil:

Prin, that real life scenario must have been horrific for all of you. :grouphug:

Smiley14
September 22nd, 2006, 08:01 PM
Oh man, TD, that is HORRIBLE! I have never had that kind of dream before, but I can imagine the panic and the sick feeling from it.

Like Prin, I too have experienced it as well, except I was IN the car that ran over my baby. I was only 9 years old at the time, but I still remember that whole day in vivid detail, it's scary. We had a springer spaniel named Bumper and since back then we lived out in farm country with no one else around for miles, she ran loose. It was a hot day, so my mom, two sisters, and I put on our swimsuits and loaded up the car for a drive to the lake. Mom backed up and we felt this huge bump and then heard the most god-awful sound in the world. We knew right away we had just run over Bumper. Mom panicked and thought she had stopped the car on top of her so drove foward...and ran over her again. We started screaming and crying instantly. I remember jumping out the backseat while the car was still rolling forward and hitting the dirt really hard. We had a dirt driveway. Bumper was crying and miraculously went running off into the woods. Mom called her friend who is a vet and she told us to look for her, but not to touch her since she didn't know how she would react due to pain. Us kids were out calling and looking for her right away while Mom called Dad and several neighbors for help. We spent three hours combing the woods, and all the adults kept telling me not to be surprised if we find her already gone, lying in hiding, that hurt animals will often hide themselves. One even told me I could have one of the puppies from her recent litter of dobermans. I was furious. I didn't want a doberman, I wanted Bumper. I broke off from my sisters, and I just remember running and calling for what felt like hours, and I remember getting all scratched up from the woods since I was still in my swimsuit. And then suddenly I saw her. She came limping up to me, tentatively wagging my tail. I remember an adult several hundred yards behine me yelling not to touch her, but I dropped to my knees and hugged her face so hard. She licked my nose and cried with me. We took her to the vet for xrays (still in our swimsuits) and turns out she had been sleeping under the car right behind the front left wheel. The wheel hit her in just the right place and twice we ran over her shoulder bone. That, combined with our soft dirt driveway, is what saved her life. We were told a few inches either way and she would have been crushed. She was sore for a while, but recovered completely. She did develop severe arthritis in that shoulder when she got older, but overall, it was a terrifying and miracuous day. I will never forget it. And I'm crying now just thinking about it all over again! She was our family dog, but in reality, she was mine. She slept with me and followed me everywhere. And I was the one who held her when she died. Years later, and she still brings me to tears.
So yeah, that love never goes away. But amazingly enough, I've never had nightmares or dreams about it.

Anyway, sorry for going off topic, I just had to share that story!

Steph

Frenchy
September 22nd, 2006, 08:10 PM
2 days ago,someone who adopted one of my foster e-mail me that she (the dog) had been hit by a car,when I read the first words,my heart stopped (she's the first female I fostered from a puppy mill and I loved her very much) I tought she had died.They rushed her to the emergency vet clinic and she has a broken leg,went into surgery and is back home today.I'm so happy for her ! And for them,they are a wonderful family who takes great care of her.Like I told them,accidents happens.:(

technodoll
September 22nd, 2006, 08:16 PM
steph, you just made me cry like a fountain... that was sooo emotional and very heart-wrenching. thank goodness it had a happy ending, i don't think i could have continued to read until the end... it was like being there along with you every step of the way :grouphug:

Prin
September 22nd, 2006, 10:36 PM
Amazing story.:) I don't know if I would ever name my dog after a car part after that... ;)

Frenchy, that's so lucky! I'm glad your fosterbaby was ok.:)

Smiley14
September 23rd, 2006, 03:12 AM
LOL, so true Prin. Never thought of it that way before. She was a rescue at 6 months old and came with the name. :) Every single animal we have ever had has been a rescue. I learned that importance from my parents and I continue to do so today. Bumper was my heart, my best friend, and I still laugh and cry when I look at pictures of her. I have so many childhood memories with her. She died on the night of my senior prom, as if marking the end of childhood. Billy was still fairly a baby then, so was my instant comfort through the rest of school and college. Oh, so many memories! They really are amazing bundles of love and joy and sometimes pain. But always worth it. :love:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 23rd, 2006, 12:15 PM
What a horrible dream TD - but you know in reality you or hubby would never let anything like that happen to Dakota. :)

When I was out of town recently for almost a week. We decided to get someone in to look after Joey and to watch the house. She had two dogs herself and liked animals. Not an official dog sitter but a friend of hubbies through work.

Even so I worried about him everday - What if she lets him out - what if she eats chocolate and leaves it on the table and Joey eats it - what if she doesnt like Joey and leaves in his kennel all day -, what if she forgets about him and goes out of town for a few days. All the stuff that goes through head when your without your pets.

So the day we got home - Joey was all excited - his bowl was full of food - his paws were a little bit wet - like he had just been outside - and he was really happy and excited to see us.

20 minutes later the phone rang - and it was the house sitter. She said she had just taken Joey for a walk about 45 minutes before, and she said Joey was the most affectionate dog she ever met, she even said Joey was well behaved :) - and she even let Joey sleep with her. She said when she woke up - Joey was just sitting up looking right at her. Her and her friend with a pug dog - took them both for walks twice a day too. It was such a relief to know that Joey was well taken care of.

we3beagles
September 23rd, 2006, 08:44 PM
I have waking nightmares like that. I lay awake at night and these horrible images of like a robbery where they kill my dogs for kicks or someone comes into the house and gets to one of my dogs before I get to them:evil: . I make myself very upset and can't get to sleep. When I was a little girl one of my neighbours got broken into and they took the little canary and put a dart through it and left it on the dart board. I think stories like that are really damaging to a young mind and leaves a lasting neurosis. My dad is like me and imagines all sorts of horrible things happening to his family. He used to get up at night and check us all to ease his mind. When I turned 12 I started doing the same thing and very nearly killed him once because I had a weapon (screwdriver). His sister has these images as well. It must be hereditary.:yell:

glasslass
September 23rd, 2006, 10:15 PM
OMG! After reading all these nightmares, I'm glad I never can remember dreaming!

technodoll
September 23rd, 2006, 10:31 PM
heck on wheels! i'm not alone! :grouphug:

rainbow
September 23rd, 2006, 10:47 PM
The only dreams I remember are the bad ones. :frustrated:

glasslass
September 23rd, 2006, 11:47 PM
I'd love to have some good fantasy or a bit of eroticism once in awhile. Sigh! I always sleep through it!:D

rainbow
September 23rd, 2006, 11:55 PM
LOL, glasslass....me too. :D If you get to sleep through the night maybe you should reply to the "mattress opinions" thread in the off topic forum to let us in on your secret. ;)

Prin
September 24th, 2006, 12:47 AM
lol you guys are funny.:D I remember a lot of my dreams. I try to because they help me figure stuff out.:shrug:

Like in techno's dream, maybe there's a bit of resentment after that fight incident, and you feel that if you're not there, maybe he doesn't take as good care of your doggies, but to the point where you're not sure if he values how much YOU care about them and how him not caring affects you.:shrug: I dunno.

technodoll
September 24th, 2006, 01:15 AM
i didn't try to analyse the dream but yeah prin, now that you mention it... in the dream my boy got hurt when he was with my BF! and i blamed him... he caused all the pain and suffering :eek: you're right, it must have had something to do with my perception of hubby not "being as careful" as I am with the beanies. he would risk life and limb if his dogs were ever in any danger and would sell the clothes off his back to get them treatments if they needed it... but he does forget to refill the water dish occasionally, he'll forget to brush them, little things... but little things bug me :frustrated:

i'm glad he got bitten. if it took THIS incident to make him wake up and be more careful and responsible with dakotah, then rather this than something else that could have been alot worse - you know? all my nagging and warnings never achieved what that dog's tooth did in a second! :shrug:

Prin
September 24th, 2006, 01:16 AM
:D I love the "if". Hopefully, this incident was enough.;)

technodoll
September 24th, 2006, 01:21 AM
and if any other incident like this happens again... i will thrash him to within an inch of his life! :mad:

Prin
September 24th, 2006, 01:36 AM
lol and then don't forget to come here and post the dreams about it.:D

technodoll
September 24th, 2006, 01:45 AM
oh there will be photos too! ha ha! :evil:

rainbow
September 24th, 2006, 01:48 AM
And you could also do a video on YouTube to make it more realistic. :D

Dog Dancer
September 25th, 2006, 04:26 PM
TD, what a scary dream. Prin thank goodness Boo was okay, and all the others that have had incidents. I'm worried sick these days since Shadow has started to jump off the roof and get out of the yard. The neighbour who caught her the other night said she was walking down the middle of a very busy road in front of our house. I really thought she would have stayed on the sidewalk to tell you the truth. Now I live in fear of even going to the corner store and leaving her on the patio deck. We've been with my BF for two years now, and he really likes (dare I say loves) the dogs, but this weekend he was irate that we couldn't go out because it was hot and sunny and I couldn't take the dogs with us and I couldn't leave them home alone. He's barely speaking to me, although he did mention to one neighbour that we might have to build a dog run to put her in when we go out. Thank goodness for my doggy day care fella who took her back in for when I'm at work. But it scares me to death that she'll get out and get hit by a car! I actually had to stop and buy new name tags with my new cell # on it today for each of them... I'm praying for a dog run so that we can have our lives back again. :fingerscr And I pray not to have this nightmare come true for us.