Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy still tired?

Hotrodhonda21
September 21st, 2006, 12:07 PM
Hello, I have a 4 month old boxer mix puppy I got earlier this month, she has recently gotten her shots and I have taken her "out" more. Obedience class and other outings. She has been "out of it" Lethargic for about a day and a half, drinking water but not really eating much. This is my first puppy, is this normal? At what point does it become a problem? She just wants to sleep.
She will stand up if I "prop her up" she is going potty. But I have to carry her outside. She is responsive... just not her usual energetic self. Please help. Thank you.

phoenix
September 21st, 2006, 12:13 PM
No this is not normal. Take her to the vet.

Hotrodhonda21
September 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM
Thank you for your response.

I took her out to a football game yesterday after work and she was normal. But as soon as we got home she just wanted to sleep. What is the usual amount a 4 month old puppy sleeps?

phoenix
September 21st, 2006, 01:27 PM
we have a lot in common- boxer mixes and hondas!

Anyway, I don't know your puppy so I can't say BUT both my boxer and my boxer/lab were extemely energetic at this age. They play hard, sleep hard, love hard.... everything they do is at the extreme!

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that if she's only sleeping and not doing all of the things that tire her out (running, playing, chewing, jumping etc) then she's not ok. Boxers are very energetic dogs. Also, you know your dog best. If there is a little 'feeling' that you have that all is not right, then you are probably right... and she should go to the vet.

I would say at 4 months, my pups slept maybe 7-8 hours at night and about 4 hours in the afternoons? This with lots of exercise in between. They always had a "zoomie" time of about 2 hours too, where they were outta control! (8 pm like clockwork for some reason).

HunterXHunter
September 21st, 2006, 02:47 PM
They play hard, sleep hard, love hard.... everything they do is at the extreme!
[...]
I would say at 4 months, my pups slept maybe 7-8 hours at night and about 4 hours in the afternoons? This with lots of exercise in between. They always had a "zoomie" time of about 2 hours too, where they were outta control! (8 pm like clockwork for some reason).

OMG!!!! Hunter too!!! When we go out to play and run around on fields (whether with me or with other dogs in the neighbourhood), he'll play and run hard. He'll squeeze every last bit of energy out to run and chanse, but as soon as it's time to go home, he'll walk a bit to the nearest front lawn and *plop* drops to the grass and rest for 10 min. before wanted to continue the journey home :dog:

And yeah, he's very hyper and active around 7:30ish as well, but is pretty good and calm the rest of the time.

---

And just so that this doesn't seem like a thread-jack...
Hotrodhonda21, I have a golden retriever so I don't know how similar most dogs are at each stage of their lives, but for Hunter, the only times he was sleeping a lot (15+ hours per day) was when I first got him and for the month afterwards (so approx. first 3 months of puppyhood). Since then, he's been very active and playful.

Furthermore, this is something that you've noticed in the recent days so it would probably be best if you took your pup to your vet to have her looked at just in case.

Hotrodhonda21
September 21st, 2006, 04:32 PM
Thank you all for your advise, I took her to the vet this affternoon and he took a blood sample as well as somthing for her nerves. His first thought was growing pains, but will let me know tommarow the results of the blood test.