Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy with dry skin

ByronsMum
September 20th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Any suggestions on what to give a puppy with dry skin? He is a 3 month old "black" golden retriever cross and he has been scratching. He doesnt have fleas and it isnt bug bites. Dry skin is all we can surmise...

Ideas?

Thanks!

the gang
September 20th, 2006, 08:49 PM
try a oatmeal bath, or oatmeal shampoo you can get it at any vet, i have 4 min pins with dry skin i also use a pump in there food every day its a skin and coat cond. it helps dy skin and shedding its about $10.00 hope this helps keep us posted :fingerscr

jawert1
September 20th, 2006, 09:15 PM
You might also want to take a look at the Dog Food forum here, a lot of dog skin conditions are directly related to cheap, low quality food (ex: Iams, Pedigree, Alpo, etc). A higher quality food will help with coat and skin conditions of all sorts - unless of course, your dog has allergies which a vet will need to ascertain. The Dog Food forum has advice about great foods, and I personally feed my 2 dogs (1 Shep/Chow mix, 1 English Pointer) Solid Gold Wolf King, to great results. Good luck and great looking pup :)

ByronsMum
September 21st, 2006, 08:59 PM
We called our vet and she suggested (just to make sure that it wasn't fleas) that we submerge him in the tub and see if any fleas "jump ship". We did just that and (surprisingly!) he was VERY good! We were warned that he might kick up a fuss and try and get out of the water....but we were confident that because he is half lab and half golden, that he should love it. Well, he did!!

Anyhoo, I digress... We found no evidence of fleas, thank goodness. But after we dried him off, he suddenly became SUPER HYPER. I mean, running around, tail wagging, wanting to jump up on everything happy. This is like, even MORE than what we have seen before!

Any ideas as to why this would be? Or is it just coincidence?

jesse's mommy
September 21st, 2006, 09:03 PM
Yep it's normal. They are called ZOOMIES!! Jesse gets them everytime she has a bath and every few days when she just needs to get her frustration out. I usually just pick things up out of her way that may hurt her. :crazy:

technodoll
September 21st, 2006, 09:05 PM
so what are you currently feeding Byron? and we LOVE pics here :)

ByronsMum
September 21st, 2006, 09:32 PM
so what are you currently feeding Byron? and we LOVE pics here :)

We have him on Eukanuba large breed dry puppy food. I have been reading about the various holistic foods that we should be feeding him and we are seriously considering switching, but don't know to what... We have seen Solid Gold and Merrick's at our local Pet Valu, and as it turns out, the store's owner gave my husband a looooooong speech about why we should be using the holistic stuff, the last time he went in.

Oh, and here is a picture that my hubby took of Byron a couple days ago. I am just SO IN LOVE with this puppy!!!! :cloud9:

technodoll
September 21st, 2006, 09:39 PM
oh gosh he is adoooorable! who wouldn't be in love? :cloud9:

i'd stay away from Solid Gold anything, they have recently switched their formulas to cheaper ingredients but no drop in prices... there are a few threads going on right now in the dog food section of the forum, if you're interested! Canidae is a good choice, so are the Dick Van Patten foods... yes take Byron off the Eukanuba ASAP, donate the food to your local shelter, anything! it's really not a good food... :(

i would also add some Fish Oil to your pup's diet, one 1000mg capsule per day for Omega 3's. or some extra-virgin olive oil drizzled on the food, although fish is better. do mix in some oily canned fish to the dry food (sardines, salmon, mackeral - all packed in water) to help with the coat and protein count.

feed your boy like you would feed your child (minus the junk food, LOL) and vary his diet, don't be afraid to give him real meats, eggs, plain yogurt, etc, dogs thrive on a varied diet!

ok more photos please, he is soooo cuuuuute!

ps: my dogs' best friend is a pitbull named Byron, too! :thumbs up