-->

New Canidae Formula!

Scott_B
September 20th, 2006, 02:34 PM
http://www.canidae.com/dogs/lamb-and-rice/dry.html

Its a lamb & Rice formula! Cool stuff!

technodoll
September 20th, 2006, 02:45 PM
yeah cool! the only thing i would wonder about is the two ingredients before the first source of fat... rumors that it's a bloat risk factor... :shrug: the rest looks good, no "animal plasma" or "dried blood meal", LOL! :D

Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flax Seed, Sun cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Lamb, Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, L-Lysine, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of Vitamin B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Organic Selenium, Dried Papaya, Dried Pineapple, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

thanks for posting this!

Prin
September 20th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Yeah I was looking at that (for chicken-less Boo) but the lack of ingredients (bloat) and low protein worry me. It would need to be supplemented with something like Evo red meat and fish oil. The flax is after the fat, so it might not be in large quantities, but still might have enough that would cause itching in dogs prone to itching from flax...:shrug:

technodoll
September 20th, 2006, 03:50 PM
yeah... low protein & fat levels give you a good reason to supplement. even mixing in raw hamburger is a great option (if your dog is not allergic to beef) :) we're doing this with dakotah these days to fatten him up: half raw hamburger or pork, half Evo or Fromms. works great!

Prin
September 20th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Yeah, exactly.:) Just too low that there's just no question.

meb999
September 20th, 2006, 08:50 PM
techno, do you feed raw meat and kibble at the same time?

technodoll
September 20th, 2006, 10:25 PM
techno, do you feed raw meat and kibble at the same time? oh absolutely. specially these days we have to, since dakotah's being fussy again and we have to force-feed him :frustrated: but he's looking awesome so it's totally worth it. as long as there are no raw bones fed at the same time as kibble, the pups do fine :) (it might not agree with every dog though, and i do use Evo mostly, sometimes mixed with a grainier kibble and a raw egg to hold it all together with the ground beef or pork).

call me a rebel! LOL :crazy:

Prin
September 20th, 2006, 10:28 PM
The link meb posted here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25339&highlight=stars was how I found out about the new Canidae... I was scouring it for new foods for Boo..

I also found his Christmas present on there...
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=868&cat=11

technodoll
September 20th, 2006, 10:36 PM
I also found his Christmas present on there...
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...uct=868&cat=11

lucky boo :D he's gonna love it! i saw the Evo fancy cans at my petstore a few weeks ago but one look at the pricetag had me going "no way", they'd probably snub it anyways and i'd want to throttle the little turds! :o

Prin
September 20th, 2006, 10:39 PM
lol Boo chases down rabbits, caged or not, while constantly licking his lips... :shrug: And my dogs never refuse anything (except certain veggies and large wild game).

technodoll
September 20th, 2006, 10:42 PM
i'm so envious. today the dogs refused dinner at the dogsitter's for the very first time, he was surprised. fussy little turds, all of them! :evil:

Prin
September 20th, 2006, 10:44 PM
lol that's because the words "Too bad!" aren't in your vocabulary.

Boo: I don't like mushrooms. Blech!
Me: Too bad! Eat them!
Jemma: I don't like banana!
Me: Too bad! If you don't eat it now, Boo will steal it.
Boo: I have to go out!
Me: Too bad!
just kidding.

technodoll
September 20th, 2006, 10:52 PM
ROTFLMAO!! i think the beanies need Prin Boot Camp!! :highfive: actually if they got more exercise, they would have a better appetite... it's just sooo hard during the week to get them to a spot where they can run and play and not worry about anything :( I'll make it up to them this weekend.

Prin
September 20th, 2006, 10:54 PM
You laugh, but the little runt I was babysitting went home and was all independent and low maintenance and her owner was pissed.:D

rainbow
September 21st, 2006, 12:38 AM
oh absolutely. specially these days we have to, since dakotah's being fussy again and we have to force-feed him

Oh no....does he have another appointment with the holistic vet yet?

Scott_B
September 21st, 2006, 05:28 AM
Doh, so I go into Global to inquire about the food. They have it in canned only. I asked when they plan on getting it in. Turns out theyre phasing out Canidae because theyre starting to sell to larger chain stores who are selling it for $40 a bag. Of course they wouldnt say who the stores are, but gezz, a price drop like that :eek:

Prin
September 21st, 2006, 10:11 AM
Uh oh... First comes the price drop, then comes the ingredients drop.:sad:

Scott_B
September 21st, 2006, 10:17 AM
Well I called the other Global in the area and he figures they'll have some lamb & Rice in within a week. He hasnt stated any price drops. The girl last night figured it was because they where selling to larger chain stores? Walmart maybe? Dunno where else would sell it. They dont list anything on their website about large retail stores.

I'm gonna shoot them an email and see if they haveany changes planned for ingredients.

Scott_B
September 21st, 2006, 10:42 AM
Email Sent! :thumbs up

mafiaprincess
September 21st, 2006, 02:34 PM
The girl last night figured it was because they where selling to larger chain stores

Not walmart.. places like petco and petsmart..
SG is carried in some american petco's. Few walmart customer's would pick up a 40 or 60 dollar bag of dog food though. Wouldn't be worth the shelf space to them.

Scott_B
September 21st, 2006, 02:38 PM
I see. But we dont have any petsmarts or petco around here. None in the province. So I figured it must be a local chain store. Selling to Petco or Petsmart you wouldnt think would affect Global.

Scott_B
September 21st, 2006, 03:21 PM
Well thats fast for a reply! :thumbs up

Scott - I have NOT heard any rumors to that effect. We have NO plans to change our formula. And giving CANIDAE to a corporate type store is against our philosophy.

Lois - CANIDAE Support

Now if its true, thats nice to know.

mafiaprincess
September 21st, 2006, 08:29 PM
Fast and nice.. we should make a customer service dog food list, :p

phoenix
September 21st, 2006, 09:11 PM
Good for Canidae!

I have trusted them and I'm glad they answered like this.

technodoll
September 21st, 2006, 09:12 PM
yes, kudos for good CS!!! not BS like with solid gold :evil:

Prin
September 21st, 2006, 10:48 PM
Yey! An actual human being answered in a short amount of time! :thumbs up for Canidae.

rainbow
September 22nd, 2006, 12:19 PM
Canidae, Innova, Go Natural and Acana have always anwered my emails promptly. :highfive: