Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rare dog breeds around the world

technodoll
September 19th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I could only identify less than half of these guys as being purebreds and actually knowing what they looked like :eek:

http://www.rarebreed.com/breedlist.html

:crazy:

Puppyluv
September 19th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I never would have guessed that a Red Bone was a rare breed! They are one of my faves!
But uhhhh why is there a little "TM" after the Mi-Ki?????:eek:

Byrd
September 19th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Cavalier King Charles is a rare breed? :confused:

technodoll
September 19th, 2006, 09:29 PM
yes that one shouldn't belong there, since it's accepted by the AKC - weird! LOL :shrug:

Angies Man
September 20th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Cavalier King Charles is a rare breed? :confused:

Yeah, and I didn't realize that Mastiffs were that rare, either.

OntarioGreys
September 20th, 2006, 01:36 PM
;) Or like the Mi-ki

According to the IMR, the Mi-Ki is a new breed started in the late 1980's by a woman who went by the name of Micki Mackin, among others. She resided in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and its suburbs. She started developing a strain of small dogs from the Papillon, Japanese Chin, Maltese and the small Shih Tzu and in 1993 there was a Papillon/Yorkshire Terrier mix stud that she introduced to some of the females. Unfortunately, she did not keep accurate records, so the degree of mixture or combination of the breeds used is not known. Some credit Micki Mackin with the use of her name when she called the little dogs Mi-Kis (pronounced Mee-Kee). The International Mi-Ki Registry proclaims to be the Developing Founder.

or the Kyi-Leo

This breed's history began in the 1950's with the accidental mating of a Lhasa Apso and a Maltese in San Francisco, CA USA. Line breeding continued in San Jose, California for the next 20 years, where Harriet Linn was responsible for choosing the name and setting the standard. The "breed" was established in 1972. Kyi means dog in Tibetan, and Leo means lion in Latin. The breed is recognized by the American Rare Breed Association

There are a few there that I do not consider as breeds.

technodoll
September 20th, 2006, 01:41 PM
wonder when they'll start adding all all the "poos", LOL!

but still, the majority of the listed breeds have existed for a very long time in countries all over the world. Just have to do research and not believe all that is written on one site, i guess! :)

doggy lover
September 20th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Appenzeller Mountain Dog I know is a breed from the Bernese Mountain Dog family, I have seen one of them, the Akbash I have heard of beautiful dog. I have also heard of these Argentino Dogo, Canadian Eskimo Dog, and the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel my mums cousin in England breeds. The rest I have never heard of I bet they are hard to come by.

jawert1
September 20th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I'm completely lacking in knowledge on this question, so please bear with me, but why is it that Toy and Mini *anything* get their own breeds? A Mini Australian Shepherd? Isn't that same breed just bred to the genetic mutation of tiny? Forgive me, I know not :confused:

technodoll
September 20th, 2006, 03:11 PM
a dog might be the same breed (ex: Poodle) but their form determines their function. A standard poodle hunts, guards, etc but a min or toy poodle does not, hence the "breed distinction". :) well that's the simple explanation, LOL!

jawert1
September 20th, 2006, 03:27 PM
And that's all I needed TD, thanks! :) That and I just got an interesting mental image of a Mini-Simon, which is terrifying hehe

Lukka'sma
September 24th, 2006, 11:57 AM
My dog is on that list. Caucasian Ovcharka
I know that around here she is rare, however in Europe they are very popular working dogs, and show dogs.
Here is a recent pic of Lukka at seven months old.

DakotaJo
September 24th, 2006, 12:06 PM
What a beautiful dog. I've never heard of the breed but He is striking.

BMDLuver
September 24th, 2006, 12:53 PM
hmmmm... I don't see Scottish Deerhound, also known as Lurcher on the list but I consider them rare. Interesting.

gomez
September 24th, 2006, 03:05 PM
I guess it all depends on where you live, there are at least 2 Spinone Italianos in the park that Gomez plays with every day, and many more of those "rare dogs" that are not so rare over here!

Cavalier King Charles? they are a dime a dozen...

It's all in the perspective...

pitgrrl
September 24th, 2006, 05:59 PM
A couple of years ago I met this woman who kept insisting my dogs were some breed from Portugal. I never figured out what she was talking about, but I found it on this list.
Do you see a resemblance between Streets:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/pitgrrl/streetsbutcher.jpg

and a Co de Fila de So Miguel? Clearly he's just a typical pitbull mix, but I can kind of see why the woman was asying that.

technodoll
September 24th, 2006, 09:30 PM
i do see a resemblance... crop the ears and dock the tail... possible :shrug:

pitgrrl
September 25th, 2006, 07:42 AM
i do see a resemblance... crop the ears and dock the tail... possible :shrug:

His tail is docked, I think that's what confuses people. I've had people ask if they're all sorts of breeds that I rarely see in Montreal, for some reason that seems more believeable to them then the truth, that I'm the proud owner of BYB special mixes.

mona_b
September 25th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Lukka'sma,she is just gorgeous.

The first time I met this breed was a few years ago at the dog show.There is a couple in my area that own a Sarplaninac.Another beautiful dog.

pitgrrl,there is a resemblance.Last year there was a Cao at our SPCA,and the funny thing is,there was another one at the Toronto HS.I thought it was the same dog,but it wasn't.And this brreds ears are not docked like your normal ones.They actually have rounded ears.

More and more I have seen these "rare" breeds around.

Lukka'sma
September 25th, 2006, 08:31 AM
mona_b thanks for the compliment. We tell her a thousand times a day that she is beautiful.

mafiaprincess
September 30th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Lukka is gorgeous. Caucasian Ovcharka is on my list of possible future breeds I adore and would consider as a future family member.