Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

question for food expert

Frenchy
September 19th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Yes that's you guys :D Daisy decided she does not like her can food anymore,barely eat for the past 2-3 days.I can't change her diet,it helps her to go poop.She is hungry,but will only eat her treats.Is there anything I can "put on top".I tought about the Iams stuff,the gravy thing...I don't really want to buy anything from Iams but,I don't know what else to try.I tought about yogourt but I'm afraid it will constipate her.Any ideas? I need something extra yummy for my picky girl.

meb999
September 19th, 2006, 08:44 PM
When Buster was being picky with wellness (and I had bought a HUGE bag :frustrated: ), I put just a little bit of canola oil (like a teaspoon) on top of the food and swirled it around (to coat the kibble). Buster just thought that was the cat's bananas!!

meb999
September 19th, 2006, 08:44 PM
yogurt is good too....or a little canned tuna (or just a little bit of the juice)....

Frenchy
September 19th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks Meb but when I said picky,I meant PICKY! I've been putting some olive oil AND sardines with the can food for the past month.She did used to like it,not anymore.I need something EXTRA yummy!

coppperbelle
September 19th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I was going to suggest sardines but if she is not eating her food with smelly fish on it this may be difficult.
What about canned gravy for people, that way you won't have to buy the Iams one.

mafiaprincess
September 19th, 2006, 09:10 PM
If she's turning down sardines and stuff, either she might be ill, or you've helped to make her so picky she's waiting to see what even yummier food you will pull out if she holds out long enough. I used to be in the habit of catering. I got out of it 3 or so months ago. Took time, but life is easier when I'm not playing with my dog's food to coerce her to eat.

Frenchy
September 19th, 2006, 09:24 PM
If she's turning down sardines and stuff, either she might be ill,
Yes she is.She has a tumour in her anal gland that came back 3 months after her operation to get rid of it.That's why it has to be something rich in fiber or anything else that will help her to go poop.I know she doesn't have much time left,but she still has appetite.

Frenchy
September 19th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I was going to suggest sardines but if she is not eating her food with smelly fish on it this may be difficult.
What about canned gravy for people, that way you won't have to buy the Iams one.
Canned gravy,I could try that. There's a first for everything,buying gravy in a can ..... :fingerscr

technodoll
September 19th, 2006, 09:33 PM
meatball stew comes with lots of gravy... you can get a good one at the Dollar store, it has potatoes, carrots & peas too.... of course it's human-grade so a zillion times better than anything purina :yuck:

poor daisy-girl. :grouphug: from me & the beanies! when can we have a photo of her and you together??

mafiaprincess
September 19th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Aww Frenchy I'm sorry, I didn't realize. :sad:

Have you thought about meaty babyfood? I've heard it works wonders on some pets who are sick and almost need to be force fed.. Might work for a little while for her at least. :grouphug:

technodoll
September 19th, 2006, 10:02 PM
excellent suggestion... meaty baby food! :thumbs up

rainbow
September 19th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Frenchy, I'm really sorry to hear about Daisy. :grouphug: I hope the suggestions the others have gave you will help. I also would just add people food to her kibble. What about getting an appetite stimulant from the vet?

Frenchy
September 20th, 2006, 06:04 AM
meaty baby food might work,I used to make doggy biscuit with that stuff and she liked it! As for the picture,I haven't tought about that but now that you mentioned it,I will have to beg my bro to come to my place and take one! He comes to my place about once a year :mad:

coppperbelle
September 20th, 2006, 07:42 AM
meaty baby food might work,I used to make doggy biscuit with that stuff and she liked it! As for the picture,I haven't tought about that but now that you mentioned it,I will have to beg my bro to come to my place and take one! He comes to my place about once a year :mad:

I drive by every weekend. If you want me to stop with my camera and take a picture just let me know.

Frenchy
September 20th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I drive by every weekend. If you want me to stop with my camera and take a picture just let me know.
OMG would you? (that almost made me cry:o ) because I'm sure my bro will tell me he's wayyyy too busy! On a side note; Daisy didn't eat again this morning and only had half of her treat.:sad: she still has some meat on her,only because she was overweight when I adopted her but I can tell she lost weight...

Prin
September 20th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Maybe just quit the dry completely and head for Merrick canned or Merrick canned mixed with canned tripe...:shrug:

Frenchy
September 20th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Maybe just quit the dry completely and head for Merrick canned or Merrick canned mixed with canned tripe...:shrug:
I did quit the dry food weeks ago,when she began to have problem to go for poop.She is on fiber formula (Medi-Cal) wet food (can) , the minute I started with the can food,she went for number 2 without any problem.This stuff works.Now I tried the meat baby food,mixed it reall good with the wet food,guess what she did??? She licked the baby food off the wet food :frustrated: I will try the meatball stew tomorrow....she really HAS to eat the fiber food,or else she will constipate.The tumour is getting bigger,it's in the way if you know what I mean.:sad:

Prin
September 20th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Yeah... Maybe really mix the stuff you're adding into the fiber stuff.:shrug:

:grouphug:

meb999
September 20th, 2006, 08:54 PM
awww, poor sweetheart :sad:
I just remembered, when we first got Buster we used to add ground beef fat to his food. Maybe you could buy some fatty ground beef, you brown it in a pan and add a little beef and some fat to the kibble....

coppperbelle
September 20th, 2006, 09:36 PM
OMG would you? (that almost made me cry:o ) because I'm sure my bro will tell me he's wayyyy too busy! On a side note; Daisy didn't eat again this morning and only had half of her treat.:sad: she still has some meat on her,only because she was overweight when I adopted her but I can tell she lost weight...

I would! I will be passing by in the afternoon on Sunday. I will do my best to remember to stop and of course to have my camera with me.

:)

technodoll
September 20th, 2006, 10:54 PM
poor daisy... has she eaten anything at all tonight?

Frenchy, have you thought of force-feeding her at least a little bit?... sometimes you have to take the 5 minutes to do that... and most dogs actually love the attention :o

Prin
September 20th, 2006, 11:05 PM
These! These are the tripett things I was talking about:
Original: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=710&cat=12
Duck and Salmon: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=709&cat=12
Lamb: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=711&cat=12

rainbow
September 21st, 2006, 12:58 AM
Does she like human food? if so, I would start home cooking for her. :fingerscr

Frenchy
September 21st, 2006, 06:17 AM
poor daisy... has she eaten anything at all tonight?

Frenchy, have you thought of force-feeding her at least a little bit?... sometimes you have to take the 5 minutes to do that... and most dogs actually love the attention :o
If you mean hand feeding yes,it's the only time she will eat for the past 2-3 weeks.She has barely eat since sunday.I will call my vet this morning.I think she can't go to do her business anymore and that's why she won't eat.Sorry for the graphic but her anus seems to be "close",the tumour is getting bigger. Maybe that's why she won't eat.

Frenchy
September 21st, 2006, 06:19 AM
I have to be very careful on what I feed her.It's not as sample as you think.If she can't go and get constipated,i won't be able to do anything else for her.My vet told me when that will happen,I will have about 3 days before you know what.:sad:

mafiaprincess
September 21st, 2006, 07:53 AM
I'm really sorry Frenchy. That is so heartbreaking even to read. :grouphug:

Prin
September 21st, 2006, 10:07 AM
:grouphug: :grouphug: I'm so sorry Frenchy.

rainbow
September 21st, 2006, 11:49 AM
Awww, Frenchy, my heart goes out to you. :grouphug:

technodoll
September 21st, 2006, 11:58 AM
sweet daisy... i pray she holds on a little bit longer so you can give her all the love she needs to finally cross the bridge in peace, with no more suffering. Frenchy you are the best mom she could have ever hoped for. :love: She will let you know when it is "time"... we are here for you. :grouphug:

Skryker
September 21st, 2006, 12:20 PM
:grouphug: Frenchy, I'm sorry. I know you've been expecting this, but still it must be so hard. :candle: I'll keep both of you in my thoughts.

Frenchy
September 21st, 2006, 07:48 PM
wooohoo ! Daisy ate tonight.I cooked her ground beef and gravy and mixed it with a bit of meat baby food and her wet food,yummy :yuck: It took some time but I was outside alone with her,try the hand feeding thing,didn't work.By accident I drop some on the ground and she ate it,so I kept dropping some and she ate 3/4 of it! (what a picky girl!) So now let's hope she will be able to "go". I just want (at least) one more week end with her :fingerscr

meb999
September 21st, 2006, 08:03 PM
I'm glad she finally ate!

I'm really sorry you're going through this though.....

coppperbelle
September 21st, 2006, 08:16 PM
woohoo, good girl Daisy. Now, you have to wonder why eating something off the floor is better than being hand fed.
I hope you get your wish Frenchy and I can take her picture for you on Sunday.

Frenchy
September 21st, 2006, 08:36 PM
woohoo, good girl Daisy. Now, you have to wonder why eating something off the floor is better than being hand fed.
I hope you get your wish Frenchy and I can take her picture for you on Sunday.
Yep,next time,I won't wash my hands first! I'm so glad I will have a picture of Daisy and me :love:

Prin
September 21st, 2006, 10:26 PM
lol it's like you were eating human food and dropping bits of the "forbidden food" on the ground.:D

:highfive:

rainbow
September 22nd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Is Daisy still eating? :fingerscr Did she poop yet? :fingerscr

Frenchy
September 22nd, 2006, 12:22 PM
It's so weird,everytime something is good with my girl,something else happens. She was lying in the bathroom this morning,she wouldn't get up so I fed her there,with a spoon,she ate everything (yeah #1) .Before I left,I called her to go outside do her thing,she looked like she couldn't get up so I helped her.She was walking ok and did a number 2 (yeah #2) So I was very glad she ate and poop but now I'm concern about the not being able to get up thing...I have an emergency appointment at the vet at 5h00 for Sam (see my rant in the on topic thread) and will bring Daisy so they can take a look at her and I want to know how much weight she has lost.:fingerscr

meb999
September 22nd, 2006, 07:21 PM
how did it go at the vets?

Frenchy
September 22nd, 2006, 07:39 PM
Check out the on topic "3 goldens for sale" :o