Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat spray...

dtbmnec
September 19th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Quick question....does it smell like ammonia?

(if not it means we have bigger issues in our house...:frustrated: )

Megan

cpietra16
September 19th, 2006, 12:30 PM
It usually smells like a very very old urine, strong.

dtbmnec
September 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM
*cries* Yeah Pawz is spraying...

We need to know the best de-spray smeller thing as possible! *cries*

I knew he was too innocent....

Megan

Ed U KayShawn
September 19th, 2006, 02:05 PM
The best de-smeller thing you do is get'em neutered!!! :crazy: :thumbs up

lol then the cleaning products would have to be something like SOX or any other kind of neuteralizing product, check the vets when your there they might recommend a product as their walls and floors are always being peed on thrown up and sprayed on!! Also you will need to clean these locations several times before you will be happy, because when it is humid and damp pheww the smell you thought was gone will reappear! Be greatful for winter! I have found spray to be the most frustating smell to remove! But not impossible. :fingerscr

Stacer
September 19th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Try using Nature's Miracle. Whatever you do don't clean the area with bleach, it smells similar to cat urine and they will spray in that spot again even though you've cleaned it. You could also try vinegar. But something with enzymes in it is best--Nature's Miracle is great. I think you can buy it at Canadian Tire and pretty much all pet food stores sell it.

PetFriendly
September 19th, 2006, 04:29 PM
I agree, something with enzimes is better, something without amonia is good. in the mean time vinegar has been very successfull both for house breaking my pup and helping my parents clean up after their senile cat.

dtbmnec
September 19th, 2006, 04:58 PM
The best de-smeller thing you do is get'em neutered!!! :crazy: :thumbs up

lol then the cleaning products would have to be something like SOX or any other kind of neuteralizing product, check the vets when your there they might recommend a product as their walls and floors are always being peed on thrown up and sprayed on!! Also you will need to clean these locations several times before you will be happy, because when it is humid and damp pheww the smell you thought was gone will reappear! Be greatful for winter! I have found spray to be the most frustating smell to remove! But not impossible. :fingerscr

*cries* Yeah I know that neutering is the best...unfortunately we can't get him neutered yet....we're bringing in the beast tomorrow for bloodwork (since he's STILL got diarrhea) otherwise we'd have to put up with spraying for another few weeks (when I finally get him on Raw)...*shakes head* foul demon can't do anything right!

Anyways I'll try at the Nature's MIracle and see what the vet says. He's sprayed a few areas but I'm not sure where exactly (or on what!). Grrrrrr! :frustrated:

Needless to say, he's been all cuddly-like since we found out! lol

Megan

P.S. Leo gave us a heart attack today too...he was mouthing on our sheets (we were playign with him) and all of a sudden there's blood! I looked in his mouth and it looks like his adult teeth are coming in so that's why they're bleeding. I'm still gonna keep an eye on him just in case.....it would explain why we found some blood on Dart the other day (same sort of "format"....blobs whatever)....we figured it was one of the two of them but we weren't sure which (and we couldn't find any blood on them/in the mouth) so we kept an eye on it too. Now we know....

dogmelissa
September 19th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Go to a hardware store and buy a blacklight; the kind that are strips, not the bulb-format. Don't ask me why, but cat urine glows under a black light, so you will be able to identify areas where Pawz (& Leo & Dart?) are spraying and get them cleaned. You can also use the light a few days after you've cleaned it to make sure that you got it all. You might be able to rent or borrow one if you can't afford to buy one.

Then you should do everything in your power to make that area(s) smell like good things; catnip, food, toys, so that they won't decide it's a bathroom and/or territory that needs to be marked. Goes back to that "animals won't eat where they potty" logic, so if you need to feed them a handful of food at every spot that's been sprayed, then do so. Or sprinkle catnip on it; that's probably easier.

Do look for the enzymatic cleaners, as they will actually break down the acid in the urine. Vinegar is fine if the surface isn't porous (tile, linoleum), but if it's in/on carpet, walls, fabric, or wood, you're adding acid to acid and it won't get rid of it, just mask the smell. Ammonia is bad, as it's only a few molecules away from uric acid (the stuff that stinks in cat pee, so it will draw them back to the same spot) plus the fumes are pretty toxic.

I'd also recommend that you wash the litter boxes out with a soapy solution (and/or bleach), and dry them thoroughly, at least once every 2 weeks (for 3 kittens). You can pour the unused litter into a garbage bag while you wash the box, and then pour it back in, and add some baking soda to it as well, but if possible, just throw out the litter and replace it completely.

Also please note that even if your kitties are neutered, male cat pee is stinky. Unless they're neutered *well* before puberty (like as soon as they leave their momma), the hormones start flowing and do something to them that makes their pee stink. My mom's cat, and my boy cat both have smelly pee even though they're neutered. It's not as stinky as intact male cat's pee, but it's stinkier than my girl's pee. Neutering won't necessarily reduce the spraying, but it can help with territorial behaviour, which generally means less (or no) spraying.

Good luck,
Melissa

vfrohloff
September 20th, 2006, 08:57 AM
AAAACk, cat spray is just the worst! I agree that Nature's Miracle is what will do the trick, and that you also need a black light to find all the spots. I bought mine for about $12 at Canadian Tire. Just make sure you get a fluorescent one, not an incandescent one. If you can't neuter him yet I would recommend confining him to one room until you can get him neutered. Spraying is usually a territiorial issue brought on by the stress of other cats/animals in the house so keeping him away from them might help.

chico2
September 20th, 2006, 09:08 AM
One of my neutered males(Rocky)still sprays on occasion,especially if he sees a strange cat outside:frustrated:
Much due to this,we have almost no more carpeting in the house,at lest wood or laminate floors can be cleaned easier.
I bought a black light from Canadian Tire,I was looking for some sort of flashlight and was surprised to find out it was a fluorecent bulb,I don't think I paid as much as $14:confused:

jessi76
September 20th, 2006, 09:21 AM
One of my neutered males(Rocky)still sprays on occasion,especially if he sees a strange cat outside:frustrated:

that happened to me too. I found a young stray male kitten, immediately had him neutered, he still sprayed the couch on a daily basis. we came to the conclusion it was because we also had an older female cat. I had to find our male cat a new home (with a relative) where he was the only cat... and low & behold, he didn't spray inside his new home at all. (fyi - he's still there, happy & healthy) but my point is males sometimes STILL do it, even after being neutered.

dtbmnec
September 20th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Leo (should be) is fine..he was neutered last month...smelly pee is nothing compared to smelling ammonia throughout the house :frustrated: ....and if Dart starts spraying now at 3 months then poor Becky's got issues too! So far as we can tell its only been Pawz...ugh all I smell is ammonia...:sick:

Yeah I the boxes are definately due for a total cleaning....I use a bleach and water solution so yeah....Arron had a fit when I used the bathtub for it (otherwise I'd have to carry the litter box into the basement to use the laundry tub there) but if it cleans the litter boxes and if he wants to do it his way he can! :p lol he won't touch the boxes unless he absolutely has to!

It's alllllll wood flooring....alll hardwood....so it could be a good thing I suppose....the Nature's Miracle won't hurt the hardwood will it?

I have catnip spray...I will use it in abundance....

vfrohloff: unfortunately the only room in the house with a decent amount of space for Pawz would be the bedroom. As much fun as it is to sleep in a room with the ammonia smell allllll over it I think I'll pass....

Thanks chico and Jessi for the support :)

I suppose after this is done we have to take stocks out in not only kleenex but clothespins too! :p

Since it is Pawz who's spraying if we were to give him up it'd have to be to his shelter again, and I'd prefer to not give him up :( Leo would be so lonely without him! Even if I did get another cat instead of Pawz, I'd still feel bad. Pawz is *MY* cat and I don't like sharing! lol

I just hope that I can get every spot before we have to move out....actually it might even be a good idea to buy a big bottle and then as soon as we move all the furniture out clean the entire floor! Hahaaa! I have a plan!

When Dart leaves with his owner he's going to be super lonely! She hopes to get him a playmate, but this all isn't for another few months! :)

Megan

dtbmnec
September 20th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Well Pawz got stabbed today...

We won't know any results until sometime next week...

I have money in the next week or so so that'll be cool timing! :D

Apparently cats can get belly buttons (Arron yelled at me for making him ask it!) lol which is good to know since I was vaguely worried about Dart (random bald spot on tummy = bellybutton)...yay!

All is coming together shortly....mwahahaha!

Megan

chico2
September 20th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Please don't start your post like that,you gave me a scare,thinking now what:eek: :D As for the spraying,your kittens are still babies,I doubt they are spraying..
Did you actually catch him doing it??
He would turn his little butt against a wall or something,lift one leg and pee.
Are you sure it's not just the litterbox smelling?
I change my entire litter,every 2 weeks,even though it's clumping litter.I never use anything to clean it,maybe a little dishwashing liquid,but that's it...
I know someone who never changes the litter,just keeps adding to it and he has 5 cats:cat:

dtbmnec
September 20th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Please don't start your post like that,you gave me a scare,thinking now what:eek: :D As for the spraying,your kittens are still babies,I doubt they are spraying..
Did you actually catch him doing it??
He would turn his little butt against a wall or something,lift one leg and pee.
Are you sure it's not just the litterbox smelling?
I change my entire litter,every 2 weeks,even though it's clumping litter.I never use anything to clean it,maybe a little dishwashing liquid,but that's it...
I know someone who never changes the litter,just keeps adding to it and he has 5 cats:cat:

Oh dear sorry....my bad...I'll stop doing that...

And no its not the litter box when you smell it all the way across the apartment and only in certain areas (ie. yes the litterbox but near the stove and only near the stove)...the computer area is fine...the bedroom is fine...

I haven't seen him for sure doing it but he's the most likely culprit....Dart's too young and Leo's been snipped already....either way I think it'll be ok as far as getting him neutered because I want him neutered nowish anyway....:)

Megan

dtbmnec
September 22nd, 2006, 12:30 PM
Pawz is going in for his snippage on wednesday....

it can't come soon enough...he's sprayed yet again

Megan

badger
September 22nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
I hate to bring this up, but in some cases it takes awhile for spraying behaviour to cease after snippage. Something to do with testosterone levels. And then you have the behavoural aspect. I have a neutered male who sometimes sprays if he is nervous, it is a complete pain. I just try not to leave him in situations where he'll be backed into a corner by the other cats. Every time he's done it is because I misread a situation and thought he was OK. A new home for him can't come soon enough, he is sooooo ready.

chico2
September 22nd, 2006, 01:32 PM
Badger,I've been putting up with Rocky spraying for years.
He can go weeks without spraying,but the last month,I've had a young Calico coming in to my yard what seems to be day and night and she gets Rocky all upset and he'll spray,yes it is a pain,but there is no way in the world I could give Rocky up.
Who would ever want a cat who sprays??Only someone like me,who has had him since kittenhood,he's now 11yrs old.
I know where the Calico lives,I have even spoken to the owner,the only thing we can do is scare her away and we do that several times a day:frustrated:

dtbmnec
September 22nd, 2006, 02:06 PM
I'm not gonna give up Pawz by any means....I'm just gonna be frustrated with him forever and ever is all! lol

Well I'm off to get pet stuff and hopefully he hasn't gone and sprayed something important like the Xbox or soemthing....*sigh*

Many things to do today...

Megan

badger
September 22nd, 2006, 02:11 PM
Oh, wait, Chico2. I'm not looking for a home for him because he sprays but because it's so crowded. For me, the occasional calling card is not nearly as big a deal as the fact that he always seems to be on the receiving end of any aggression.
But you're right, it'll be tough, even though I think there is a good chance the spraying will diminish if not disappear once he feels safe again. My sister just moved into a house in the country, no other cats, just a sweet old lab. I know he would love it, gotta work on my sister. Unfortunately, she's in B.C.!

chico2
September 22nd, 2006, 04:31 PM
Badger I did not mean it like that,I know you would not give up on any cat:sorry:
Spraying is usually mostly stress and Rocky get's extreemly stressed seeing another cat in HIS backyard.
This little Calico(Missy)climbs my trees,goes up on the neighbors roof,I even caught her on top of my larger bird-feeder,anything to get at the birds and it's becoming a real pain:evil:
The owner had a beautiful longhaired Calico before,who got run over and killed,you'd think she would have learned her lesson:frustrated:

badger
September 22nd, 2006, 05:13 PM
Winter is coming. Maybe she'll stay inside for a few months and give Rocky a break?

jiorji
September 22nd, 2006, 06:00 PM
hopefully he hasn't gone and sprayed something important like the Xbox or soemthing....*sigh*

oh no not the XBOX!!:eek:
lol

dtbmnec
September 22nd, 2006, 09:22 PM
oh no not the XBOX!!:eek:
lol

Arron would probably skin Pawz if his xbox was touched....

Ugh didn't get a chance to go get cat stuff today....went to go see Accepted instead....as for the smell Febreze does wonders (least it did for the others...I can't smell a damn thing!)....Of course its the petsafe one with corn in it but *shrugs* whatever, I gotta use the rest of it up sometime!

Weeee and now I'm on nasal steroids to help with my twisted sinus.......still not sure how its supposed to help but that's ok...:confused:

Megan

prettykitty5
December 4th, 2008, 11:14 PM
one of my 2 cats sprayed in the house a few days ago. both are fixed and healthy the only reason I can think of is I had the carpets cleaned and maybe they wanted to put their scent back in? I will try the black light idea because I cannot for the life of me find the exact spot. I can feel for others who have had the same problem it is a horrible smell!

chico2
December 5th, 2008, 06:39 AM
prettykitty5,this original thread is from 2006,maybe you should make your own thread..
If you find the spot on the carpet,clean it with Natures Miracle,found at any pet-store.