Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Timberwolf Penetrating Ontario soon...

Prin
September 19th, 2006, 12:38 AM
I got an email from a woman who intends to distribute TO in Ontario... If anybody wants her email addy to ask her to sell to a store near you, pm me.. (I hope I have enough space ;)).:highfive:

rainbow
September 19th, 2006, 01:16 AM
First Ontario then Quebec? :fingerscr

mafiaprincess
September 19th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Hook me up Prin.

RaYne
September 19th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Ditto hook me up too. :D

I would love to put Bubba on the Ocean Blue and get him off the Eagle Pack! Pming you now!!

mafiaprincess
September 19th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I'm kicking myself for buying 33 pounds of WK the other day. Be months to eat that all :rolleyes:

2terriers
September 21st, 2006, 09:05 AM
Prin,
Not able to PM you for some reason but would like to be able to email this woman to get Timberwolf in my area. New here, maybe doing something wrong:shrug: Thanks for your help

RaYne
September 21st, 2006, 09:24 AM
I think you need a couple more posts before you are able to PM. I have her email but I don't want to post it out in the open. Email me at jade2216@hotmail.com and I'll send it to you. ;)

Prin
September 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM
lol Rayne- you protect her but not you? :D

RaYne
September 21st, 2006, 10:14 AM
LOL True. I don't mind posting my hotmail account. It's full of spam most of the time anyway. I only use it for message forums. So I don't clutter up our ISP email account.

Prin
September 21st, 2006, 10:23 AM
lol good idea.:D

RaYne
September 21st, 2006, 10:37 AM
I may be getting Ocean Blue after all. :D I just got her reply to my email. Apparently there is a store about 20 minutes from me (Brantford, Ontario) that might be bringing in TO. Woohoo then I can get Bubba off the Eagle Pack Fish. The Eagle is too low in calories and fat. So I'm overfeeding him and I'm still having a hard time keeping weight on him. :(

erykah1310
September 21st, 2006, 06:19 PM
I was just going to post a similar thread, I too have been emailing this woman from TO and while calling my petstore and expressing the demand for this food. ( Told her to check this website out) she is emailing the TO lady too.
So if all goes well Sudbury should be getting some TO shortly :D

mafiaprincess
September 21st, 2006, 08:44 PM
I spent like an hour and a half in global tonight locally.

I did ask about TO. I was told SG and TO used to be distributed by a distributor. For a while though, SG has been being distributed to ryan/global stores by Global themselves.. Cutting out that extra party.. and limiting contact with a distributor.. customer service sucked the big one, and being a more expensive food demand was hit and miss, so some stores may not really want to jump on that train again. But she has considered it.

Prin
September 21st, 2006, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I got this email:

I have contact the Ryan's Quality Pet Foods on 39 King George (519-759-8531) in Brantford at this time they have not made a decision to bring it in. It helps if the customers contact the stores so they have an understanding of what formulas are in demand.
Good luck Ontariariarians!:D

mafiaprincess
September 21st, 2006, 10:16 PM
Lissa know's someone who just got shipped some TO. One of the bags came ripped open. I know *beep* happens, but between that and their customer service.. Yeesh.

Prin
September 21st, 2006, 10:18 PM
I know eh? They have to get their #### together if they want to succeed on an international level. Just looks way unprofessional.:rolleyes:

mummummum
September 22nd, 2006, 06:47 PM
Global-Ryan's in the Beach(es) expect their first shipment to arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday. :crazy:

erykah1310
September 22nd, 2006, 10:15 PM
We are getting some here withing the next few weeks! Petfood Warehouse is going to be carrying it. :thumbs up I hope the dogs will like this food too, hopefully the last switch I will have to do!

OntarioGreys
September 23rd, 2006, 11:50 PM
I know most are excited about having something new available, I know I was excited when EVO first hit the shelves here, I have one dog with a grain intolerance and the only food available at the time that was grain free was DVP which he did not like.

I looked over the Timberwolf site a couple weeks ago after a discussion here, to see why so many were do excited about timberwolf, I found the ingredients to be mostly okay but less than what I expected to see from all the talk and excitement about.

From their name Timberwolf "Organics" I had expected to see organic ingredients and hormone free meats discussed on their site, which was not the case

Quote from the dogfoodproject.com

In closing, one short comment on an organic "wannabe":

Timberwolf Organics
With this product, it's pretty much all in the name but not in the ingredients. Between the currently available kibble varieties I have found only one that actually has even just one organic ingredient - the "Southwest Chicken and Herbs" formula contains a small amount of "organic blue corn" somewhere between ground ginger and dried cranberries as ingredient number 30.

If you are looking for an organic food specifically, you will not find it in the program of this manufacturer. Despite otherwise good ingredient quality - minus points for using a spelling variation in the product name that suggests a quality standard that is not met.

Canidae is not a 100% organic food
This is from Canidae's website and they legally cannot make these claims under AAFCO guidelines unless this is specifically what they are using in their formulas, but this can give you an idea of what I expected to see from a company that calls themselves organics

Canidae ingredients

Chicken & Turkey Meal (Human Grade)
Hormone free, antibiotic free and ethoxyquin free. Human quality meat, flesh tissue and skin only.

Lamb Meal (Human Grade)
Finest AmeRican lamb, hormone free, antibiotic free and ethoxyquin free. Human quality meat.

Herring Meal (F.D.A. Inspected), (Omega 3)
Meats have been tested to have No Ethoxyquin Residual.

Brown Rice (U.S.D.A. Grade #1)
Rice has been tested to have no pesticide residual; contains a generous supply of B vitamins, plus calcium, phosphorus, and iron.

White Rice (U.S.D.A. Grade #1)
Rice has been tested to have no pesticide residual; also nutritious, and of all grains, Rice is the most easily digested and least likely to cause allergic reactions. Rice helps clear up psoriasis and has anticancer and antidiarrheal properties. Rice helps to lower cholesterol and may also help to prevent kidney stones.

THen their is Timberwolf's uses the formula names for example
Wild and Natural
I have not seen too many wild chickens or potatoes around ;)

For those wanting to feed Ocean Blue you may want to contact the manufacturer to see if you can get some answers on the following

The first two ingredients in this food are named meat products. The second is salmon inclusive of its water content (about 80%) and once that is removed it is likely that this ingredient would be more accurately placed somewhat further down the ingredient list (ingredients are listed in order of weight). The presence of a meat meal ingredients first on the list, this time in meal form, gives us high onfidence in the amount of meat product in the food. It is not clear whether the manufacturer uses ethoxyquin-free meat sources (ethoxyquin is a chemical preservative commonly added to fish destined for meal, and is believed to be carcinogenic).
It is added before it arrives to Timberwolf so not an ingredient the dog food manufacturer is adding so therefore not required in the ingredient listing, foods that contain fish meals will generally tend to have ethoxyquin added as part of the processing into fish meal as a preservative before being sold to the dogfood manufacturer, unless they specifically acquire ethoxyquin-free fish meal it will be in there.

The info is the editor remarks from this site most of the timberwolf line is found under 5 star foods, Wild and Natural is listed as a 6 star rating

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/index.php

The manufacturer warrants the use of 48-52% meat meal

This means of the "amount of meat" that is being used in the food that 50% is from meat meal which is a lot different than saying that the "total food content" is 50% meat meal, so can be very misleading again and may may decieve consumers into thinking they are feeding more meat than they really are, so "if" they put 40% meat into the food as wet state they also add 20% specificied meat meal(which is 50% of the meat), once the wet is processed to the same stage as the meal it is only 10% of the total amount of the food so add to 20% meal that gives you 30% at 10% moisture content based on total ingredients which after processing will have 6% moisture so will become lower yet, So meat wise it is not really much different than most other premiums foods

Prin
September 24th, 2006, 12:40 AM
The name, with the "Organics" part, in my memory, was from a while ago, when organic meant "healthy" in the media. It didn't have the whole no antibiotic/hormone/gmo connotation that it has gotten in the recent past, as real organic things hit the mainstream. :shrug: I just remember when I first found it that I never even assumed organic meant really organic.:o

Anyway, for the rest of it, OG, it's not really about the meat, so much as the complete package. For people like me, who are still wary of the 42% protein, TO makes foods that have none of the usual grains in them, and that have different meat sources. Like say, Jemma and Boo can't eat WK anymore. If I suspect it's a grain thing, I can switch them to the Dakota Bison one. The meat is the same, but there aren't any of the same grains as in WK. :shrug:

rainbow
September 24th, 2006, 12:57 AM
I used to feed TO and liked the ingredients and didn't really care about the name. One of the emails I sent was to ask them about the preservatives and the fish. Needless to say, I never got an answer. :rolleyes:

I changed foods because the price kept going up and the customer service was worse than lousy....it was non-existant. :frustrated:

Prin
September 24th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Exactly why I gave up. Half of a product, IMO, is the customer service. If I don't get it, even if I have to pay more for something else, I will.

technodoll
September 24th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Half of a product, IMO, is the customer service. If I don't get it, even if I have to pay more for something else, I will.

i totally agree. i even boycott a certain local grocery store cuz their CS is a sham and they scam people with false advertising, i'll pay more somewhere else for the same stuff cuz i get treated better there, as a customer :frustrated: so yeah, if you can't trust a company to back up their product no matter what... hey it's a consumer's market, the choice of suppliers is there for the taking :p

mafiaprincess
September 24th, 2006, 06:16 PM
To my knowledge there is only one organic kibble on the market, and it's Karma. Using organic ingredients means more expense. Which is why some of the better kibbles use what they can organically, but it isn't cost effective to use organic everything.

In comparison, for anyone who thinks a bag of WK is expensive, double that for a bag of Karma.

OntarioGreys
September 25th, 2006, 10:53 AM
THere are a couple others, though some may not be in our market

and can be reasonably priced

Wenaewe - Adult
Main Ingredients:
Organic uruguayan beef, organic brown rice, organic canola seed, organic flax seed meal, organic sunflower seed, organic buckwheat seed (soba), organic barley, organic millet

Petguard - Organic Adult Dry Food
Main Ingredients:
Organic quinoa, organic oatmeal, organic ground barley, organic brown rice, organic dried eggs, organic sunflower oil

Newman's Own Organics - Adult Dry Chicken & Rice Formula
Main Ingredients:
Chicken, organic barley, organic rice, organic milo, organic oats, organic ground flax seed, chicken meal, organic brown rice, chicken fat (naturally stabilized with mixed tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary)

Castor & Pollux - Organix Canine Formula
Main Ingredients:
Organic chicken, chicken meal, organic peas, organic extruded soybean seeds, organic barley, organic brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tochopherols, rosemary, and citric acid)

Dick van Patten's Natural Balance - Organic Formulas
Main Ingredients:
Natural chicken, organic brown rice, chicken meal, organic oats, organic millet, organic barley, organic sorghum, organic potato, organic peas, organic canola oil

THe above list here http://dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=organic

And Canidae is close to being though not at a 100%

technodoll
September 25th, 2006, 10:55 AM
all of these organic formulas have very little meat in them. so what's the point of paying so much, for so little? :confused:

Prin
September 25th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Main Ingredients:
Organic chicken, chicken meal, organic peas, organic extruded soybean seeds, organic barley, organic brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tochopherols, rosemary, and citric acid) IMO, this is worse false advertising than the 'organics' part of TO. Non-organic chicken makes up the bulk of the very little meat there is in this food.:rolleyes:

mummummum
September 26th, 2006, 01:13 AM
The only reason I am looking forward to trying Timberwolf OG is that it is the only fish-based food we haven't tried and since all the others have been duds ... I figure it's worth a try. Declan and Ceili are eating tuna and rice etc., salmon and liver once or twice a week. I'm spending about $13.00 a day on food. :(

rainbow
September 26th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Main Ingredients:
Natural chicken, organic brown rice, chicken meal, organic oats, organic millet, organic barley, organic sorghum, organic potato, organic peas, organic canola oil

What is "natural" chicken? :confused:

Shaykeija
September 26th, 2006, 03:00 AM
I know going natural means naked. Maybe chicken without the feathers.:p :evil:

mafiaprincess
September 26th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Most of those foods are either listing only organic grains, and don't mention meat there.. or the meat they mainly mention isn't organic..

Which would be why I thought there was only one organic food on the market.. Because it's chicken is organic. But it has some stuff in it I don't like. Think I saw natural flavours after a huge list of ingredients that all say organic.

technodoll
September 26th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Main Ingredients:
Organic quinoa, organic oatmeal, organic ground barley, organic brown rice, organic dried eggs, organic sunflower oil

is this a vegetarian formula? :confused: :yuck:

Prin
September 26th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Well, it has eggs.:D

Mafia- I'm the same way. Once I go through a food and find it a scam or a waste of time, I forget about it and don't count it as existing.:D

OntarioGreys
September 27th, 2006, 08:18 AM
What is "natural" chicken? :confused:

Raised without hormones often free range.

technodoll
September 27th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Raised without hormones often free range.

not necessarily. since the petfood industry regulates itself, they can write whatever they feel like without adhering to any standards. if the chickens were hormone-free or free-range, you can bet it would be plastered all over their bags as a selling point! my guess is "natural chicken" means the whole fresh chicken, not chicken meal - and nothing more. :cool:

Prin
September 27th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Regardless of what they claim it to be, there's regular ol' chicken meal a little further down the line.:rolleyes:

donnaandgeorge
September 28th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Just fyi, Timberwolf is available at a Global Pet Foods store in Toronto: http://www.globalbeaches.ca

mummummum
September 30th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Yup ~ we opened out first bag tonight!!!!!!! So far , so good, Ceili and Declan both ate it ~ Ceili with some coaxing. Bridie of the "even-if-it's-still-moooooving-I'll-eat-it" hoovered it down of course, But, as they say the proof is in the pooping. So we'll know in a few days or so whether it's a true keeper.

worrier79
October 2nd, 2006, 12:15 PM
THere are a couple others, though some may not be in our market

and can be reasonably priced

Wenaewe - Adult
Main Ingredients:
Organic uruguayan beef, organic brown rice, organic canola seed, organic flax seed meal, organic sunflower seed, organic buckwheat seed (soba), organic barley, organic millet

Main Ingredients:

Newman's Own Organics - Adult Dry Chicken & Rice Formula
Main Ingredients:
Chicken, organic barley, organic rice, organic milo, organic oats, organic ground flax seed, chicken meal, organic brown rice, chicken fat (naturally stabilized with mixed tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary)

Main Ingredients:
Organic chicken, chicken meal, organic peas, organic extruded soybean seeds, organic barley, organic brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tochopherols, rosemary, and citric acid)

Main Ingredients:

THe above list here http://dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=organic

And Canidae is close to being though not at a 100%

Just wondering, what kibble do you use? I don't have time to search and see if you have divulged. :)

Prin
October 2nd, 2006, 01:05 PM
btw, Woofers in DDO is looking at maybe getting some TO.:highfive: