Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What would you do?

erykah1310
September 18th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I went to visit a very good friend of mine this weekend and I was appauled by the condition of her Boxer. He probly only weighs around 30lbs
I know that a boxer has a smaller "rear end" than front end but this poor guy was sickly looking, he has his large muscular front end and a tiny tiny waist and I could clearly see every bone in his spine ( even between his shoulder blades)
I wanted to say something, but my friend is one of them defensive, unable to take critisism people.
I scanned around for his dog food and found that he had a full bowl of Pedigree. ( not the best I know, but also not my dog)
his entire muzzle ( half way to his eyes) is white and he is 5 years old.:eek:
I want to tell her that i think her dog is seriously malnurished or sick , but I dont want to offend her.
What would you do in this situation??

Prin
September 18th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I'd just say it. :shrug: "What's wrong with Stinky? He doesn't look as good as he usually does."

technodoll
September 18th, 2006, 09:46 PM
totally. if this person is your friend, you should be able to express concern over the welfare of their pet! :eek: like prin said, something along those lines. or just ask if he's sick, has he seen a vet? :sick: poor doggy.

erykah1310
September 18th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks guys, the simplest solution is sometimes so hard to figure out ( especially when its been bothering you for a few days) Im gonna stop after work tomorrow and casually mention something.
She gets really defensive right away with the smallest things, but its worth a shot for the poor guy

Prin
September 18th, 2006, 09:51 PM
That's why you stick in a compliment- he's not his usual handsome, healthy self.:shrug:

rainbow
September 19th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I'd say something too. If he's that sickly looking it's definitely more than just the crap food he's eating.

OntarioGreys
September 19th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Boxers can go prematurely grey just like greyhounds it also occurs is other breeds as well, It is called a Melanistic Mask

explanation here on this site http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/mask.html

Sunny at 3 note the red colouring on the left side of his face
http://www.mypetpages.net/artists/1732/0/92d254038c015acc285132446164e89c.jpg
at 5 the he is starting to lose colour

http://www.mypetpages.net/artists/1732/0/c785449fd84eaf5c6ed864a9ca0e911b.jpg

Last year the muzzle was white and this year his face is white up to his eyebrows at 8 Now he looks like the spitting imaga of his famous Hall of Fame grandfather Dutch Bahama http://greyhound-data.com/d?showpic=67016&time=1114006639

Maya had her first grey hairs just below her bottom lip in the front at 20 months now at 4 1/2 her bottom jaw and throat is totally peppered grey and she is start to grey on the muzzle and has a sprinkling of grey hairs on her body. Some of the black greys will already heart shaped grey face and body peppering by the time they are five, and others will still have very little grey a 9 depending on the genes they inherit

phoenix
September 19th, 2006, 08:34 AM
yes it is normal for them to have grey muzzles early, I wouldn't worry about that. They also can be very slim in the waist... But if he is wasting away and doesn't appear muscular, then maybe he is sick (maybe a cancer, they are very prone).
:sad:
Sometimes when someone sees a dog every day they don't notice it's going slowly downhill- it takes someone with 'fresh eyes' to point it out to them.

wdawson
September 19th, 2006, 06:11 PM
on the food thing.....since you have tons of it.....take some over and say ...try this ,my dogs love it its the best.

meb999
September 19th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Yeah, Boxers do tend to go grey around the muzzle. Buster's only 3 and he's starting to get a few white hairs (I don't tell him though....I don't want him to develop a complex!)
People also tell me all the time that he's skinny. Buster eats ALOT and never really puts on weight. Boxers are naturally slim. You're supposed to see like 2 or 3 ribs (in the sunlight)

If this guy is as thin as you say, I would mention it to your friend. Like Phoenix said, boxers are prone to cancer.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to tell her.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 19th, 2006, 07:46 PM
My and my b/f too are kind of in this situation, 'cause our 2 friends have 3 dogs. Their min-pin is very well taken care of kept in the house, and fed fairly good food, and gets lots of attention.
They however, have a female labrador and a male pitbull mix, both of which are in terrible condition, and the female had puppies awhile ago.
Last time we saw the lab you could see every single bone, and most of her puppies had died (some were very sick and they put them down). Their pitbull mix has been shot more than once 'cause he's unfixed and they let him roam and he goes into other peoples yards and bothers their dogs and other animals.
There's not really anything we can do, 'cause the SPCA here could care less about dogs, and we can't take their animals because they don't belong to us.
We do however casually mention stuff about dogs whenever we're over there, and we talk about dog health (non confrontationally). A lot of the time we'll talk about what we feed our dogs, and why we keep them in the house and stuff. We don't tell them what they should do with their dogs, but we talk about all the stuff we do with our dogs and why, and hopefully they'll figure it out eventually.