Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Urination when excited

Shuler21
September 18th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I have a female gordon setter. She is almost 5 months old. She is completely potty trained. She will always go to the door when she has to go potty. She has a problem with piddling however. She does not piddle when i get home as she knows I ignore her until she goes outside, she will run straight to the door as soon as she is out of her kennel. When my fiancee comes home however, even if he ignores her, she piddles. She has been around other dogs and does not piddle around them when playing but she has however been piddling when we play with her around the house. We do not yell at her when she does it as I know this just makes it worse, what should we do?

Prin
September 18th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I think you should head to the vet. Her bladder sphincter might not be strong enough.:shrug:

BMDLuver
September 18th, 2006, 07:06 PM
She's a setter and this is also common with the breed. She piddles most likely to the male in the house as she defers to him... meaning he's her alpha. Best to read some articles on Submissive urination. As Prin said, check to make sure that she doesn't have a uti also. She will most likely grow out of it in time. It's common in many high energy breeds.

OntarioGreys
September 22nd, 2006, 08:56 AM
You are dealing with 2 seperate types of urination submissive aand excitement.

Excitement urination is common in puppies as their bladder spincter muscles are not fully developed yet, and this form usually corrects itself in time as the dog matures more, and some are little slower than others, the later ones are around 6 months old around the time they are just entering puberty.

When you husband walks in that is submissive and what helped me with Nikki is playing games with her to help elevate her status(at least in her mind) example by playing tug of war but letting her win the majority of the time, throw a toy and chase after it but let her get to it first the majority of the time When you are allowing her to win you elevate her status in the pack and make her feel like an important member so she is not feeling like there is such a huge status gap((*** note games like this allowing the dog to win most of the times should not be done with more dominant dogs/pups)) Because it is your husband that she is being submissive with the games need to be mostly with him. it will take a couple weeks to note some improvement, With Nikki I had to do refresher games every so often in particular when the daily routine changes for example Christmas holidays when lots of guest are dropping in as the stress would throw her off kilter and the piddling would start again.

akt921
October 6th, 2006, 10:37 AM
My 16 weeks old lab/collie mix has the exact same problem, spoke to my vet and he said it's very common in puppies when excited. Just make sure you socialize your dog and get used to meeting people on a regular basis and problem should go away when it's more matured.