Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thinking about switching cat's food

Kristin7
September 18th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I am thinking of switching because I would rather not have to go to the vet each time I need a new bag of the Science Diet T/D they are on, plus, I'm not a huge fan of Science Diet to begin with. I have two cats, one is 10, one is 3, and the 10 y old had a problem with tartar buildup a year ago. The 3 y old eats very fast, and the larger size has required her to actually chew the kibble. In the past, she has had a problem with throwing up her food, either because she eats too fast, or because she has a dietary sensitivity. She had problems on everything else I tried, but it has been awhile and I don't recall which brands they were unfortunately. She has been fine with the Science Diet, though. Basically, i'm looking for a quality food with larger sized cat kibble, hopefully one my 3 y old will not be sensitive to (will just have to try it, yikes). Often, the kibble size is not apparent 'til you open the bag, so was wondering if anyone has a recommendation?

les
September 18th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I don't really know which cat foods have larger kibble, however, my cat was the same when she was on ScienceDiet. She would eat and throw up on a regular basis and as soon I switched her to a high quality kibble that stopped.

She now eats dry Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken and Nature's Variety along with Dick Van Patten wet food. =)

Prin
September 18th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I don't know about size, but Felidae from canidae is great.:)
www.canidae.com

List
September 18th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I'm actually in the process of switching my 2 cats from Hill's T/d. THey both did well on it and really liked the larger pieces, but I just couldn't justify feeding it to them anymore. Anyways, I did some taste tests with my kitties and Felidae, was the winner. The pieces are really small, but they seem to be crunchy enough to make my two happy.

Its got good ingrediants, its well priced and I don't have to go to the vets to pick it up. :)

rainbow
September 18th, 2006, 09:21 PM
A few years ago, with one of my previous cats, the vet put him on the Medi-Cal Dental Formula. He said the large kibble was better as it made the cat chew more to get rid of the tartar build-up. :shrug:

Prin
September 18th, 2006, 09:29 PM
That's what they say, and then they load that t/d food up with sugar. :rolleyes:

Scott_B
September 19th, 2006, 04:44 AM
I think I may have to go off the Felidae. My cats just dont seem to like it. They will eat very little of it. 2 of them really like the wet food, but the third doesnt. Doh. Not sure what to look at now. I really liked the felidae. :rolleyes:

Kristin7
September 19th, 2006, 06:26 AM
The larger pieces have been good for their teeth, so I'd prefer something that isn't so small, although I have heard good things about the Felidae. I believe dental health is important, although am nervous to try and brush their very sharp teeth. If there is some other way besides sticking my fingers in their mouths or feeding this T/D Rx diet, I'd love to try it. I am nervous to switch because of my younger cat's vomiting problem. I have a feeling if i try and switch, this might come back and it is not pleasant for me or her. She doesn't chew small kibble, she just swallows it!

chico2
September 19th, 2006, 07:28 AM
I am going through the same with Vinnie.
After having he's teeth cleaned($300)the vet gave me a free bag of Medi-Cal Dental.
I have since bought 2 bags from the vet,but I do not like the ingredients and will not get another bag.Vinnie is somewhat over-weight and Medi-Cal is loaded with fattening,useless ingredients.
The problem I have,Vinnie is now going to the other dishes(Wellness and CSFCLS)LOOKING for his food,it's sad to see his confusion,but I'm hoping he'll give in and eat what the other cats are eating.
He is not starving,they also get canned food..
My other 2 cats are older and have great teeth,but Vinnie had gingivities already at 4yrs old:mad:
I don't want to get another bag of Medi-Cal,what to get?????