Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Solid Gold Buckaroo Beef Patties & Hund-N-Flocken Lamb

Goldens4Ever
September 18th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I just found these freeze-dried beef patties by Solid Gold and was concerned about the ground bone that is in them. I would like some information about feeding dogs products containing ground bones. Also, I have seen some foods that contain egg products while others specifically state that their foods do NOT contain any egg products--are egg products healthy or not?

In addition, I have been reading the threads about Solid Gold's change of ingredients in a few of their foods--has anyone heard anything about their Hund-n-Flocken adult lamb formula? That is what our two goldens are currently eating, but our youngest one is extremely active and is greatly in need of a much higher protein/fat diet. We tried SG's new Barking at the Moon line, but it is now made with beef and our vet is not carrying it. We believe that she is allergic to beef and/or chicken, so I would like to stay with a lamb formula or perhaps try a venison or duck formula (with low grain content).

It is difficult finding the ideal food for her. Here are her stats:

-1.5 year old golden retriever (spayed female)
-67 pounds of muscle & bone--no visible fat
-Extremely active
-Allergic to beef and/or chicken
-Eats 6 CUPS PER DAY of Solid Gold Hund-n-Flocken and still maintains her skinny, muscular figure but does not put on any fat or additional weight
-Her food is supplemented with cooked wild salmon (NOT farm-raised)

I want to find the ideal food for her; one that is the right type of meat, contains high percentages of protein/fats for VERY active dogs, has a low grain content, and is free of nasty artifical and chemical substances. Any suggestions??? I would appreciate some thorough ingredient analysis from anyone who has the chance to research this. Thanks.

mafiaprincess
September 18th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Raw needs a meat and bone ratio to be fed properly.. Freeze dried patties are pretty much the same. You'd need a meat-bone ratio..

Think someone else mentioned before that they's already down graded hund n flocken formulas a while ago.. It had been on the market longer than some of the other products they are trying to change now.

Prin
September 18th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I said they probably did.. Hundnflocken and the old WK were very different in quality and that's how I justify it.:shrug:

Egg product is not good. It's eggs not for human consumption- rotten, broken, or otherwise contaminated.

If it's whole eggs, it's ok.:)

For bones... I'm not the one to answer.:o

Goldens4Ever
September 18th, 2006, 11:57 PM
For Aspen, I am now considering Timberwolf Organics in either the Elk, Bison, or Lamb formula. I am going to speak with my vet on Wednesday about these three and see which she recommends. I am impressed with the ingredients in the TO foods....I just wish it could be purchased in Green Bay; however, they do have free shipping which is cool.

mafiaprincess
September 19th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Most vets have a skewed view on nutrition, and many will tell you all of your top choices are horrible foods. Be aware they may try to push something nasty like science diet.

Goldens4Ever
September 19th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Hi Mafiaprincess--you have the cutest dog!!!!

Anyway, we are fortunate that our current vets do NOT sell or recommend any of the really crappy foods like Iams, Euaknuba, Science Diet, etc. (our previous vets did). Our new ones sell Solid Gold, Wysong, and a raw diet, but I cannot remember the name of it. So, at least I don't have to worry about them recomemnding the ones above :p

But, I am just hoping that they are familiar with the Timberwolf products so that they can make a good recommendation about which particular product would be best for Aspen (and Goldie).

mafiaprincess
September 19th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Aww thank you.

That rocks then. I hear of far too often crappy food being pushed, so it makes you paranoid when someone then wants to consult a vet on food choices. Tell us what their opinion was.