Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need the "pros" opinion on this one

erykah1310
September 18th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Hey everyone, during yet another dog food search today one petstore recommended Urban Wolf.
They gave me a pamphlet and a bit of an intro to it.
I like the sounds of it, however... I have only been on the "good food" quest for 2 weeks or so now. I am quite inexperienced with it.
It isnt a complete food , but more of a mixer for home cooked or raw.
Whats your take on it??http://UrbanWolf.cc

technodoll
September 18th, 2006, 03:52 PM
oh man... another company that screams baseless claims left and right! this is so full of BS, i don't know where to begin! :yell:

i'll just point out a few simple things that should make you turn away from this marketing gimmick:

1 - URBAN WOLF® is so naturally protective, your dog to will NOT suffer from the typical 'DETOX' symptoms (diarrhea, mucousy stool, skin eruptions, poor coat) associated with ALL other Grain-Free diets.
Instead, your dog will safely 'DETOX' WITHOUT any suffering or discomfort.
This is one of the many reasons URBAN WOLF® is unique amongst RAW GRAIN-FREE DIETS & comes highly Vet Recommended.

nevermind the spelling mistakes, where do they get this "fact" that ALL other grain-free diets makes pets suffer from detox? :confused: or that pets switching to a raw diet get "detox" at all? :confused: never proven, on the contrary, what a load of crock! they're just promoting themselves with a made-up statement!

2 - You couldn't feed your dog or cat the same amount of powerfully nutritious fresh vegetables if you made it yourself that Urban Wolf & Urban King supply in just one meal. Imagine what a lifetime on Urban Wolf or Urban King will do for your pet!

what, cuz we're ignorant and stupid? :confused: (again, note the Grade 2 quality English...) er, wild animals have been feeding themselves pretty well for millenia... people all over the world are feeding their cats and dogs pretty well without any pet food company's intervention... again another empty statement, made to bully you into buying their product :frustrated:

3 - Above Recipe will Feed:
20 lb. dog = 4+ days
50 lb. dog = 2 days
100+ lb. dog = 1 day

:eek: A dog needs about 1.5 to 3% of their body weight in raw food per day to maintain proper weight & energy levels. Assuming the medium is 2.25%, this would equate 2.25lbs of food per day. Here we are only giving 1 measly pound of raw meat and the rest is non species-appropriate fillers. greeaaat. dehydrated potatoes, carrots, apples, sprouts... our dogs are NOT vegetarians and do NOT need this stuff, specially in such large amounts. what you are getting is huge excrements since dogs (and cats) cannot digest cellulose, aka fiber - what are they thinking?? :confused:

oh man i could go on and on... but i've got to run now. If you want to feed raw, just do it. give your dog the occasional cooked veggie as a treat, but that's about it. sheeesh!
:dog:

mafiaprincess
September 18th, 2006, 04:21 PM
I saw that at global.. I thought it was weirdo expensive for a 'mixer'.

Melei'sMom
September 18th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Other than raw meat, this is the only 'dog food' I buy

http://www.mountaindogfood.com/

Found it at the feedmill down the road from my work. they carry turkey necks by the case too! and occasionally a few other goodies for raw feeders. turns out there are alot of us in the area!

technodoll
September 18th, 2006, 06:58 PM
wow :eek: there are so many more raw-feeders (full or part-time) on this forum than i thought! too cool :highfive:

Prin
September 18th, 2006, 07:02 PM
INGREDIENTS: All Food Ingredients are Human Food Grade - Whole Ground, Freeze or Naturally Dried: Sweet Potato, Carrot, Apple, Barley Greens, Broccoli, Almond (stabilized), Watercress, Alfalfa, Cranberries, Spinach, Celery, (New) Lycopene (from tomato skins: Nature's powerful antioxidant), Saccharomyces cerevisiae, natural Calcium Carbonate, Flax Meal, Carob, Kelp, Parsley, Ginger Root, Marjoram, Basil. This diet meets & exceeds the AAFCO & NRC guidelines.
So it's just veg and probiotics? IMO fresh ones would be better.:rolleyes: You're already paying for the meat (i.e. the expensive part, IMO). Why cheap out on the veg?

mafiaprincess
September 18th, 2006, 08:00 PM
While cheaping out.. it's way far from cheap... Like a small bag of the stuff was 40 something bucks.. Like a smaller bag than a 5 pound bag of kibble...

erykah1310
September 18th, 2006, 08:50 PM
yup the price is rediculous, for a big bag (dont remember exact lbs) it was $120.
Kinda freaked me out there.
When I said to the lady who was working at the petstore, I asked her about Technos prey model BARF and she said " how would they get their calcium?, How do they get the proper vitamins ?" ( and so on) When i got into a bit of a ramble on calcium from bones and touched the subject of tripe, she looked at me like I had horns growing out of my head ( which to her I might have, thinking of going against the all knowing dog food companies :eek: :evil: )

Why is so few honest people in the pet food industry???

technodoll
September 18th, 2006, 09:08 PM
When I said to the lady who was working at the petstore, I asked her about Technos prey model BARF and she said " how would they get their calcium?, How do they get the proper vitamins ?" ( and so on)

when this happens, i put it into a "picture" they can understand... such as a cat eating a mouse, or a wolf eating a rabbit. ask them if they've seen nature shows where lions hunt down gazelles and all the carnivores share the spoils. it's not the same for our dogs because they are not hunting their dinner, but if they *could*... this is how they would feed themselves since they have the perfect equipment for it :shrug: the word "prey model diet" means to mimick what they would eat in the wild, in proper proportions. wolves don't hunt down corn stalks or dig up raw potatoes or raid gardens for brocoli :D it's all about what makes sense... and then doing it yourself and KNOWING it's right. :thumbs up

Prin
September 18th, 2006, 09:15 PM
When I said to the lady who was working at the petstore, I asked her about Technos prey model BARF and she said " how would they get their calcium?, How do they get the proper vitamins ?" ( and so on) Really? I would have thought her first question would be "Who is "techno"?" :D

Nobody's honest. :shrug: That's why I kinda don't want to distribute TO- I don't want to become one of them.

erykah1310
September 18th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Really? I would have thought her first question would be "Who is "techno"?" :D

lol, funny Prin :D :D

technodoll
September 18th, 2006, 09:23 PM
oooo i didn't even catch that one! LMAO!

(i remain anonymous) :D