Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Favourite pet

marko
September 18th, 2006, 02:35 PM
I know we are supposed be politically correct when we talk about our furbabies....BUT....

It seems to me that I love one of my furbabies just SLIGHTLY more than the other. Don't get me wrong, the other furbaby doesn't have to sleep in the dungeon and feed on insects. We still bond.

AND I don't want the less loved furbaby to need therapy, so I always present equal love to them both.

It just seems that there is a smidgeon of an imbalance on the love scale.

Anyone else feel the same?

Or was this post a major faux paw?

jawert1
September 18th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I think you've touched on something we've all experienced Marko, myself included. I know that when we brought Peaches and Simon home, Simon stuck to me like glue and still does, we bonded almost immediately. Peaches was thoroughly attached to my ex, but has always clung to me too, just not as much if he was around. Even now, she's a bit more independent, loves me to death and would defend me to the ends of the earth, but she's never been as close to me as Simon is, and I think I reflect that on some level in return. But now that I think of it, I'm going out and buying them both new stuffies so neither suspects I know! :p

Cathy1
September 18th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I know what you are saying. I am the same way. I love both my dogs, but one captured my heart the first day because of everything he has been through. In my case maybe it's sympathy. Duke never leaves my side and won't eat unless I am home. Jasper is still young and does his own thing, he is more close with my husband. He won't even go outside if I open the door, it has to be my husband or he just waits.

dogcatharmony
September 18th, 2006, 03:14 PM
i have to admit i am guilty of this too. my bigcat amos is my favorite even thou i still have another cat and a dog too. after i got the dog i felt really bad that my big boy wouldn't come down because of the dog. even my husband comments on how much amos is spoiled( he wouldn;t deny the cat anything because amos doesn't like him much so he tries to stay on his good side... and keep his fingers.........lol) but my other furbabies are still in my heart too..........they get "spoiled " too. maybe it's just because amos has such a personality.....(onlly i would say that) he is an old cranky tabby who only has eyes for me:shrug:

Prin
September 18th, 2006, 07:32 PM
I love my doggies equally. I really do. They are so different and fulfill my pet owner needs in different ways. :o

LavenderRott
September 18th, 2006, 08:02 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/p56a60141fefe341f5db2aba2624fdcc8/fa894f50.jpg

I have had a dog in my life since I was 12.

Chase was my heart dog. She was amazing. I miss her every single day.

Frenchy
September 18th, 2006, 08:31 PM
I can't say I love one more than the other (s) BUT (gonna have a hard time to explain this in english,feelings and all) they are all different,Bailey and Sam both NEED me.They are like kids and I love them like kids.Daisy,not the same,she is more like a friend,almost a sister/mother.I swear sometimes I think she is the one taking care of me! She had many litters before I adopted her,maybe that's why.She is very motherly.I "respect" her.Even if sometimes dominant with other dogs,never with me.It may sound stupid but I see her very strong,and I'm not saying this because she is about to leave me.She's like an human mother trapped in a dog's body.If it's sound weird, I told you I would have difficulty explaining myself :D

Prin
September 18th, 2006, 10:31 PM
I get it Frenchy. :)

My doggies are sort of both. I take care of them, but when I really need them, they take care of me.

OntarioGreys
September 19th, 2006, 07:32 AM
I have had several pets over the years yet 2 become heart dogs(Buddy an American Cocker and Callie a greyhound), it does not mean I love the others less, just that a special connection/bond is formed between you and that pet, it is like you can read each others souls/minds simply though eye contact and it is not easy to explain but you definitely know it happens and it has nothing to do with personality, Callie and Buddy were different as day and night, and definitely not related to behaviour, Callie could be a stinker(not in a bad way just mischievious) :rolleyes: and Buddy was the well behaved one who was my cuddle buddy And it had nothing to do with length of time they are with you Callie was with me only 18 months and Buddy 4 years and neither was raised from puppyhood and it really wasn't what I would call love at first sight with them either Buddy was quite neglected looking and his face was partially paralyzed and Callie was stressed dehydrated, very big and scrawny looking with a head quite out of proportion looking for her size and my first thoughts was that she was darn ugly for a greyhound and the first month or so all I could think is "what have I got myself into, I think I made a mistake" especially the way her and Sunny were getting along but in time she grew on me in ways I could not believe and in time I did come to see her as beautiful, regal in this picture (when she wasn't acting like a clown :p ) which I believe I captured well in this picture http://www.mypetpages.net/artists/1732/0/d8e3f489dd717f6c105fcdaecf85ad28.JPG, and she also grew on Sunny more than I ever realized, even though Maya's adoption 2 1/2 later helped he still mourned her loss for a couple more months.

chico2
September 19th, 2006, 07:43 AM
I love all 3 of my cats very much,but my 10yr old tabby Rocky is very close to me,he's my shadow.
Knows if I am sad,sick or in any way off,cuddles and cries,if I as much as cough and wherever I am he is,watching me..he somehow seems like such an old soul:cat:

Lise
September 20th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I love all of our dogs,but Gypsy had such a special connection with me I didn't think I'd ever find that with another.Then I adopted Nell,she and Gyps are really different but we have the almost same connection.I love Tess and Molly but it's a little different.It all works okay though everyone loves Tess and Ali told us she's taking Molly with her when she moves out(Ali's six)so everyone has someone to love!

doggy lover
September 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Out of all the fur, skin, feather and scale babies that I have had over the last few years, I would say Travis my last dog and Tucker I have now are my favorite. I'm more partial to dogs anyways, not that I don't love my cats but they don't seem to need me the same ways the dogs have. Travis will forever be my favorite, he was a FAMILY dog in all sense of the word. Tucker is more independent and dominant, him and I have had a few arguments about who is boss and I still think that he believes that he is.:rolleyes:

I think Travis believed that he was just a regular member of the family, not a furskin.lol RIP baby.

Frenchy
September 20th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Travis was a beautiful dog! I love his colours.

Skryker
September 20th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I can't say that I favour one pet over the others, exactly. It's more like I love them all in different ways. Same for all the pets I've had.

My current three are all bonded strongly to me (and me to them). I have to admit, though, after a looonnggg day of puppy hijinx, it's nice to have a furry, purry cuddle with the cat-she's much less exhausting!;)