Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Change in SG Ingredients...What can we do?

BernerLver
September 18th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Firstly I wanted to say thanks to those who posted a thread about this. I too would have never known as it cam so highly recommended by other members that I didn't pay attention to the ingredients.

I am very disappointed about this. My guys are doing so well and since feeding raw hasn't been an option since we moved for a variety of reasons, this was a great alternative.

SO my question is; what can we do about this? I have heard good things about TO but understand it is not available outside of BC. Is there anyway we could explain to the company the issue with SG? Maybe they would be happy to have the extra business?

I don't know Iím just throwing out ideas. I'm feeling pretty disappointed having just found something that I feel good about feeding my boys.

Violeta
September 18th, 2006, 03:04 PM
These ware my thoughts exactly. So disappointed !! :yell: this is why I am going raw, at least this way Iím the boss :dog: .

Prin
September 18th, 2006, 03:13 PM
In my email to TO (not replied to yet :frustrated: ) I mentioned that solid gold is changing their WK formula and those of us with poultry-intolerant dogs are screwed here in the east because there are so few other options available. I also talked to a few stores around and just mentioned the TO name, hoping that maybe if a few people mention it, they'll understand that the demand is there and then bring it here. Maybe...

But it doesn't hurt to write. I wrote to SG about my disappointment. The reason menadione has been removed from a lot of dog foods (and very few cat foods) is because of public pressure.

Honestly, though, at this point if they put the ingredients back to what they were, I'm already too pissed at SG. What they're doing is very unethical, IMO.

Prin
September 18th, 2006, 03:15 PM
this is why I am going raw, at least this way Iím the boss :dog: .No, the farmer is the boss.;)

BernerLver
September 18th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Totally agree Prin! It’s not just the fact that they changed the ingredients (much as I am angry about that) it’s their total lack of care and concern for their customers and how seriously we take the health and nutrition of our dogs. As a company they are entitled to change their ingredients, but seemingly attempting to do it on the down-low is a whole other matter. Just seems sneaky and dishonest and I’m not comfortable giving a company like that my business.

I am going to write to TO and explain the situation. I would have no problems buying 2 bags at a time even.

:offtopic: A little off topic but it dawned on my after reading some other posts, I think Dart, my older guy has allergies. He’s been obsessively chewing/licking his paws and hind end :o for the past couple of weeks. It never occurred to me that it could be allergies but I think that’s what it is.

You said Jemma has allergies to rag weed, what do you do to help?

BernerLver
September 18th, 2006, 03:28 PM
this is why I am going raw,
Yeah my guys were on raw for a while. My little guy did VERY well but is was alwasy a struggle to get the ratios of bone to meat just right to keep my older guy, Dart from having liquid poops or being totally constipated.

technodoll
September 18th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Yeah my guys were on raw for a while. My little guy did VERY well but is was alwasy a struggle to get the ratios of bone to meat just right to keep my older guy, Dart from having liquid poops or being totally constipated.

it totally depends on the dog. you have to tweak to find what works: my girl needs less bone, my boy needs more to get the same "quality" of poops. also some dogs take to the diet immediately (no "detox"), while others take weeks... however the simpler you keep it, the better. In the beginning i was afraid the raw diet would "lack" some key ingredients so i fed too much of a mixed variety too soon, puppy had cannon-butt, and i didn'T know why... i could have avoided that frustration had i known about the "prey model" way :yell: I did it right with my girl and we have happy pooops, yayy! :crazy:

sorry for the thread-jack. ooops :sorry:

mafiaprincess
September 18th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Has anyone who sent SG an email heard back yet?

meb999
September 18th, 2006, 08:01 PM
nope, not me....

Violeta
September 18th, 2006, 08:17 PM
No, the farmer is the boss.;)

not if I become the farmer :p

Prin
September 18th, 2006, 08:24 PM
You said Jemma has allergies to rag weed, what do you do to help?She gets a cortisone shot at the beginning of August.:shrug:

coppperbelle
September 18th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I e-mailed them yesterday and haven't heard back although it has only been one day. Maybe there is only one lady answering all the e-mails. I get the feeling that she runs the show on her own there.
I have to say that I too am extremely disappointed at the attitude of the company and am seriously thinking of changing brands. The big problem is finding one that is equivalent to their old formula.

E-mail the company and let them know your displeasure.

Prin
September 18th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Coppper did you see my dramatization of the conversation I had when I called in today? It's in the other thread...

Prin
September 18th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Post 90 here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30696&page=3

rainbow
September 19th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Timberwolf Organics is really bad about answering emails. I sent them an email four times once regarding where there food was manufactured. They never did reply. It is manufactured at one of the Diamond plants which was finally confirmed by Diamond.

coppperbelle
September 19th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I did see your post about your conversation with the company. It sounds like you hit a real winner.
I shared the food change information with some others I know feed Solid Gold, one a breeder, who in turn checked with her supplier. The supplier said she had not heard of any changes but was going to check. Another person went to the web site and found that tomato pumace had been added to the Barking at the Moon formula and that "New" had been written on the bag but nothing about WK. I checked the web site and couldn't find anything.

:frustrated:

mafiaprincess
September 19th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Barking has been changed already (although depending upon how fast bag turn over is in your store the new bags may not be in that store yet).. versus wolf king will change but hasn't been done right yet..

I mentioned it when I bought WK the other day cause I was so very mad.. and the owner of that global knew nothing about any SG changes.. Wanted me to report back to her anythign else I hear. But hopefully, I planted a seed in her head to keep checking her new bags to maybe warn customers when it does change..