Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Right way to introduce a new pet??

Schatzibird
September 18th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Hello all! I currently am the happy "pet" to 2 cats, Chloe and Peanut, both 3yrs old; and 1 Golden Retriever, Dixie, age 8yrs. As of now, we, (my husband and I and our 2 children ages 8 and 10 yrs old), are in the process of adopting a new little dog from a rescue group into our happy little family. He is a 3yr old long haired Chihuahua. We've been told he has a "marking" problem which we did happen to notice when we met him and took him for a little walk. He is scheduled for nuetering tomorrow and Wednesday we are supposed to have a home visit and receive our little guy at that time. I am wondering what the proper way is to introduce new pets to the already established pets is. I am hoping that the nuetering will greatly help with the marking issue, but should it not, does anyone have any advice for me?? I really would like to start things out on the right foot!!

Thanks for any help!! :pray:

Schatzibird

OntarioGreys
September 18th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Because I am single, with no helpers the majority of my animals and foosters were introduced in the house, but it is recommended that for introducing dogs that you introduce them away from their own territories and take them for a walk together before taking them home, once home supervise interactions together seperate when you can't closely supervise until you are absolutely sure they are getting along, during the first month there maybe be some tension between them as they figure out their pack orders within the family, so growling and snapping can be part of how they try to sort things out, to a certain extent you should allow them to work it out, and step if you you think it will escalate. A spray bottle correctrion can be used on the bigger resident dog if he attempts to chase pounce on the smaller dog or on the smaller dog to teach him proper manners around the cats. Before bringing in a new dog I withdraw some attention from my resident dogs when the new dog arrrives I then lavish the same amount attention as before that way they feel like they are getting extra attention and don't feel displaced by the new dog, even though the new dog may require extra attention make sure the existing dogs get pets and food first so they don't feel like you are favouring the new dog over them as that could create pack issue problems.

Neutering may well help with the territorial marking but it can take 2 to 4 weeks to notice an appreciable difference. For some it remains a habit and a belly band may help with discouraging indoor marking. Keep the new dog on a leash or babygated in the room with you so as to catch any leg lifting right away inorder to correct and take outside immediately, he will catch on faster if he does not get chances to get away with marking in the house unnoticed.
For info on belly bands http://decotogs.com/bellybands/bellybandinfo.htm

Schatzibird
September 27th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I wanted to thank you for your wonderful advice! :thumbs up I have had my new little guy, "Charlie" here for 4 days now and what a sweetheart he is! He does do some marking ... twice now ... but we have been doing what you have advised so lets cross our fingers!!:fingerscr We were not able to introduce him outside to my other dog thought...it was a very wet, rainy evening when he arrived. However, the two dogs get along quite well! Even the cats! Well...one of them anyway...the other kitty is still working on his bravery to enter the upper floor where the newcomer is!! LOL

Thanks again!!

Schatzibird :dog: