Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Trim or not trim a Golden's feet

JanM
September 17th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Does everyone trim the hair tufts on their Golden Retreiver's feet? I just had one of my Goldens professionally groomed (I've fractured a wrist and cannot do it) and all the tufts on her feet were trimmed off. Is there a valid reason for this or is it "just for looks"? I had thought if that is part of who she is, she should have the tufts - am I wrong? I'd sure appreciate feedback on this..

Byrd
September 17th, 2006, 10:21 PM
I trim the tufts off my Aussie's feet, and when I was grooming we trimmed all dogs feet.

As far as I know, it's mainly for looks, but also prevents snowballs and mudballs from getting caught between the toes.

Prin
September 17th, 2006, 11:15 PM
I trim my doggies' feet... In the winter it is essential as the fur tufts load up with hard snow and it becomes painful for the dog. In the summer, they can get burrs stuck in there or sticks and things... It's just safer and more comfortable for the feet to be clean cut.:)

technodoll
September 17th, 2006, 11:17 PM
totally get them trimmed, for form & function.

here's a great pictorial on how to do it :)

http://morningsagegoldens.freeservers.com/Grooming2.html

JanM
September 18th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Thank you - I had been dead against trimming but will now make sure she is trimmed regularly. Thanks again for sharing your wisdom!

OntarioGreys
September 18th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Trimming their hair on their feet also aids in traction especially on smooth floor surfaces therefore preventing slips and falls which can lead to injury

Frenchy
September 18th, 2006, 08:46 PM
All of the above! when no snow;helps them with the traction thing and in winter times it's mostly important,or else they get snow between the pads ,changes into ice ad hurt their :pawprint:

coppperbelle
September 18th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I trim my dogs feet regularly. It looks better and is better for their overall health.

rainbow
September 18th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I agree with all the others....trimming is a must. :D