Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

update on mister the cat

Frenchy
September 17th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I tought I would start a new thread....well,mister the cat is sleeping under the bed right now.He had a big day! I left the door a tiny bit open,his room is perfect,it's at the other side of the house so he's not getting bothered.If he doesn't come out by his own,I will close it before I go to bed.He is a very good boy,answers me when I speak to him.The dogs are very good too,they don't bother him at all,they do their everyday stuff like nothing has changed.They are use to having other pets in the house,with all the fosters I had...I will wait for mister the cat to be comfy and see it's true nature to name him.So Badger,don't worry,he's pretty relax,I would never have guest it would be so easy! I guess I'm pretty lucky! BTW,how do you clean cat ears???

jiorji
September 17th, 2006, 06:27 PM
OMG cleaning cat ears!! *starts shaking*- don't want to do that again

you have to get qtips and kitty ear cleaner. Does he have earmites?

My kitty had a problem with those and I had to clean out her ears for a long time. Those pests!:mad:
My cat didn't squirm, it's not as intimidating as trimming nails :cool: but cats (mine anyways) don't like having their ears cleaned so they close them, so you have to hold the cat down AND hold the ear open and make sure the back paw isn't trying to reach to scratch and the head is not moving. And be careful you don't hurt anything in there by being too rough.

What the vet told me, if it's real dirty in there get the kitty ear cleaner and squirt some in the ear and then go in with the qtip and scoop the stuff out. You'll need quite a few handy :yuck:

oh and....where are the update pictures ??:mad: :p

rainbow
September 17th, 2006, 07:30 PM
If he sits there and doesn't get really squirmy then QTips are okay but otherwise I would use gauze.

badger
September 17th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Frenchy, I PM'd you.

Prin
September 17th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Congrats on the new kitty!! :) :cat:

Frenchy
September 18th, 2006, 05:11 AM
more updates;mister cat is out and about. He spend the evening with us in the living room. Only hissed twice at Bailey who was getting too close for comfort,he has no problem with Sam.He seems ok with Bailey now. He spend the night meowing,getting up on the bed, he cudles with me on the bed ! I think now he just wants to be pet ALL THE TIME! As soon as I pet him he stops meowing.:D A velcro cat...perfect addition to my velcro goldens! I look at him this morning,it's like he's been here for ages! I can't believe how easy this cat is.Sooooo lucky! And yes,I think it is earmites,I found little black things on the bed,was afraid it was fleas but it's not.Will try to get some cleaner from vet.Gotta go to work now :frustrated: Have a good day everyone.

Skryker
September 18th, 2006, 08:50 AM
:thumbs up for an easy arrival! Hooray for Mr Cat and Frenchy (and the velcro Goldens, too;) )!

Writing4Fun
September 18th, 2006, 09:19 AM
:highfive: Way to go! Ya know, I'm starting to like "Mr. Cat" for a name. :thumbs up I knew someone once who had a horse named "Mr. Man," so why not? :D

phoenix
September 18th, 2006, 11:20 AM
My sister called one of her cats "Mister". It was cute. He was the dumbest and sweetest cat.:cat:
Congrats Frenchy! I'm glad it is going so well!

jiorji
September 18th, 2006, 12:59 PM
horrible!! ear mites are disgusting intrusive pests and i hate them!! When I got my twiggy she was only 5 months and that means she'd only lived outside in the wild for 5 months and those ear mites got in there and took over the place :frustrated:
When she went it for ear cleaning, they kept taking stuff out and she even ended up with a dead earmite plug in her ear that took a year to come out because it was so deep in her ear. bah!

I hope Mister's ears are not horribly infested with ear mites :fingerscr poor kitty
I'm not sure if ear mites get transmitted to dogs but they will go to cats so be careful. :pawprint:

Frenchy
September 18th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I called my vet,they say I can use the same cleaner as for the dogs so I will try that :fingerscr and Badger will give me some Revolution (thanks Badger!) the dogs can get earmites from him but he would have to sleep on their heads close to their ears....were not at that point yet! Sorry Jiorji,my camera is dead so can't post any pictures :( but you can see the one Badger posted under "gimme shelter" (cat's adoption thread).Stupid question now ; he drinks and eats but still hasn't use his liter box,do you think I have to "teach" him,if so,how???:shrug: I put his collar on and completed his "tag" (little piece of paper you put in a small cylinder) and I put mister the cat under cat's name :D but it's not official. It's kind of too long, monsieur le chat.....:cat:

jiorji
September 18th, 2006, 05:34 PM
i've seen then "gimme shelter" thread. He's very pretty.

did you try putting him in the litter box to see what he'll do?

Frenchy
September 18th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Nope,I just put him in front and play in the litter with the "litter spoon" :o I will put him in there,hope it works,thanks.

rainbow
September 18th, 2006, 06:32 PM
It should work. It's a cat's instinct to "bury" their pee and poop. My first rescue was 2+ yr. old when I got him and he'd lived outside for quite a while before that. He used the litter box without a problem.

Frenchy
September 18th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Cleaned one ear and the other "half way" :thumbs up But he doesn't want to stay in the litter box.I took the top off and put him there 2-3 times,he just gets out,tried again later 2-3 times,same thing.I will continue to try!

jiorji
September 18th, 2006, 07:43 PM
sorry Frenchy I don't remember do you have another cat?? You can drop a poop in the new litter box and show Mister that's where poo goes.

I'm surprised he's held it in for so long. But he'll want to go somewhere sometime soon.

He may also not be comfortable with a closed off litterbox...that's what it sounds like you have. I have one of those and my cats don't like using it.

Frenchy
September 18th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Nope,no other cat,only 3 goldens :D will it help if I put poop from one of them :p :yuck: I did leave the top off but he will have to get use to it sooner or later,Bailey looooves cat poop! I will buy him a harness tomorrow so if he didn't use the litter by then,I will take him out in the yard.