Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mini Daschund

RosieBC
September 17th, 2006, 03:38 PM
I have a friend who bought a 1 1/2 yr old male Daschund. Its been 6 months now & she's had quite a few problems with this little guy but the main one is he smells. He is paper trained but when she takes him out for walks he pees on the grass & apparently his belly gets wet. The question is" could the smell be from the pee getting on him or do Daschund's normally have a smell to them & if so what can she use to get rid of it"? A bath doesn't do anything so I told her to buy the doggie cologne so after his bath she uses that....lol He's a short haired dog swo she's scared to bath him often..
She would appreciate any help what so ever.
Thanks
RoseAnn

raingirl
September 17th, 2006, 03:41 PM
As far as I understand, because they are hounds, hounds tend to smell more than other dogs. What does she feed him? What kind of smell is it? Yeasty?? Wet Dog??

RosieBC
September 17th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Hi there, thanks for answering so quickly. The dog came from a breeder, he was used as a stud & then when he changed the blood line he got him fixed & sold him the following week. The dog is on Natural Balance dog food & she said he smells like a dog that just came from a kennel or like a ferret, just not as strong...Now she's thinking because of the hound factor she just has a stinky dog,.,lol
I don't know if this info helps any but its the best I can do. Thanks again for you help.
RoseAnn

OntarioGreys
September 17th, 2006, 08:40 PM
IS it sort of almost a fishy smell? It coulld be that he needs to have his anal glands expressed.

Also if he has any skin problems that could also produce a smell, another source could be bad teeth

In either case take to the vet for exam and vet can check the anal glands

mafiaprincess
September 17th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Doxies are a breed known for having an absense of what peopel would consider a 'doggie smell'. So no, the dog shouldn't smell.

Glands has been mentioned... Do you clean the dog's ears often? Ear infections can smell mighty bad.. Tooth diseases can also smell bad, but you would be more likely to notice a tooth and or gum issue.

Lump of Kohl
September 18th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I don't know anything about conditions that make a dog smell but if you think it is just that he is peeing on himself:p then try the spray that Nature's Miracle makes. It is not a cologne (nothing is worse than sweet on stink). You spray it on their coat or on a towel and rub them down. Works wonderfully! People ask if my dogs have cologne on when I use it.

DaschundLover
July 7th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I have two Daschunds - adopted from a shelter. The dappled-mini is a handsom who has complete conrol ovet my heart. He was found as stray in a city near here and taken to the shelter. I had just lost one of my darlings in Nov. due to vets not properly treating him. His name was Fred and he was a black standard, his pal was EtheL Mae who is a standard female light brown, who came to us overweight. They belonged to a person who passed on and were taken to the shelter by the people who were supposed to care for them. This was almost two years ago. Ethel is under a vets care taking diet medication which is working and she is looking good. I will take her off the meds next month.
I was so heartbroken at the loss of Fred as were the people at the shelter who are good friends of my daughter - she is a police Sgt. who is always helping dogs or any animal in fact. When the little mini was brought in in November - shortly after Fred's loss - the shelter people called my daughter and she said perhaps she should mentioned this new fellow - she called and I told her to bring him right over. Another Dasch was found in the same neighborhood Gus was found and my daughter found her a home - she is a longhaired black lady.
Well back to Gus - they both had skin rashes - hers were cured within a few weeks. However my Gus has gotten worse...and we have found what I hope is a good vet. We put him on cortisone and he seemed to pick up and when we cut it back - back came this awful. I have two different shampoos the doctor gave me and I bathe him every third day - which seems to help him. I have used Lanacane to ease his awful itching.

As far as odor - none of the three have ever had any odor. I would check the teeth and ears. The breeders are not know to be kind to these poor animals once they had made their money. There are also colognes.

I wish you all good luck - these wonderful dogs have brought so much happiness in my life it cannot be described. They are a joy.:dog:

lawgrl77
July 8th, 2008, 11:56 AM
My husband's family has always had daschunds and we've found that the boys can definitely be a little bit smelly (weekly baths should do the trick).

It's worse when they're not neutered but should be a little better with yours b/c he is already fixed.

Bottom line: we've found the boys can be doggy smelly but nothing that a weekly bath doesn't fix!

Oh, and the anal glands thing is one to watch for.

weppasmom
July 9th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Just a thought, but if he is peeing in grass that is tall enough to brush against his belly and then walking through the wet area, his odor may be the dried pee on his belly. I once had a chihuahua who had this problem. It may be hard to find, but he may need to be doing his business on some bare ground that doesn't have grass. :shrug:

Sabine
July 10th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I own two dachshunds and they don't smell bad, unless they rolled in yucky things or got sprayed by a skunk. :laughing: Your friend's dachshund's smell may be the underlaying cause of a. hormonal changes after neutering, b. the kind of food she feeds, c. anal glands that need to be tended to.
Bathing him constantly will only do damage to the skin and colognes are an insult to a dog's nose and not really "animal friendly". There's no worse smell for a dog's sensitive nose than perfume.
I would suggest your friend switch the dog over to a healthier diet and then go from there. ;)

Hbear73
August 12th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I'm new to the world of daschunds. I have a purebred mini red and everytime my husband comes home from work, she rolls onto her back and pees! It doesn't matter if I've just taken her outside. She'll do it regardless. Is this normal, or is it a nervous reaction? How can I get her to stop? My poor carpet can't take much more! :shrug: She's trained otherwise (2 1/2 yrs old) and I've had her for almost 2 months. Any suggestions?:fingerscr

the gang
August 12th, 2008, 10:34 PM
oh boy know that feeling!!!! i rescued a min pin x from teddys a little ways back----- same probelm, she was a scared !little fart, it takes a while, try not to make a big deal when the person comes home !and hopefully she will out grow good luck brenda and the pins

mafiaprincess
August 13th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Original post is from 2006..

SnowDancer
August 13th, 2008, 10:19 AM
If HBear sees this, yes it is normal, particularly when you take in a dog that has been in a previous home. Even though your Dachshund may seem to be very comfortable in your home - and in fact be a super Alpha in charge of everyone - there is always that feeling of insecurity that will appear in some form. We went through this exact situation with the peeing when we came in the door - as have others. One lady on the street one day asked me if I had ever experienced this problem - she was mortified to be asking - but she was hardly the first. I started coming in through the door - no carpet thankfully, and holding a plastic garbage bag against my legs to protect my stockings from both the urine and may guy's nails as he hugged my legs. My husband did the same. It is just a nervous response which should eventually stop. When we adopted our guy - he had been boarded at our vet's by the people who rescued him - his nickname was "Peebody". Whenever we took him to the vet's they would always pray that when they picked him up he wouldn't pee on them. The day finally came when he didn't! They were very pleased - of course this was the day he decided which of the vet's was a threat to the others.

bendyfoot
August 13th, 2008, 10:46 AM
HBear, when you come home, COMPLETELY IGNORE the dog. Don't speak to her, look at her, or so much as glance in her direction. Wait until you've settled in the house for at least 15 minutes and the dog is calm. Then call the dog over to you for a "hello", preferably with you sitting or squatting low to the ground so you don't appear too large or intimidating (ie don't lean over her to pat). Make sure everyone who enters the house does this. It's a submissive gesture, very puppy-like response to a dominant dog (or husband!)

If she does pee, wait until she is out of sight, maybe while she's outside for a proper potty break, then clean up the mess. You don't want to draw her attention to the mess, apparently it can reinforce the behaviour.