Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cats again...arg! lol

dtbmnec
September 15th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I have just been informed by my couch surfer and boyfriend that my cats can OPEN THE CUPBOARDS!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Yes folks there is no place in this house that is sacred! I can't secure the cupboards unless I buy locks (think chain locks) because there aren't any other handles "nearby" to secure them with.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/dtbmnec/Leo%20and%20Pawz/cupboards_320x240.jpg - its the far left cupboard...except its not hte bottom cupboards its the top ones...and the handles are basically in the same positions...so I'm not sure what to do about the cupboard opening...

They've been jumping on the counters and so as punishment I tried the water thing...I even tried the shower! (not set hot or cold but varying degrees of warm) They now JUMP INTO the shower! :eek: :frustrated: Pawz however has long ago learnt to fear the water sprayer...Leo just doesn't care, he'll do it anyway!

I tried sticky tape on other areas and they simply ignore it or have learned to avoid the areas *with* sticky tape on them (in other words they still jump on the shelving units just not where sticky tape is located :frustrated: )

Loud noises does seem to work a bit but they're getting used to me/Arron/Becky stomping at them to punish them (be it water bottle/shower/general "no" ness) so I'm not sure how well that's going to work.

My cats are insane...yep that's the only option I know of that would explain them...they are nuts just like me...*shakes head* I'm just baffled....just totally baffled...either that or Leo's just possessed...yes I shall exorcise him of his demon! (yes joke)

[/rant]

We've stopped with the shower thing...I had hoped it was a deterrent but when the cats jump INTO the shower you know its not working...on the plus side I suppose if they need to have a bath (cuz they get dirty or toss food on themselves or something) they won't mind it so much anymore... O.o

They KNOW they're doing something wrong (if you walk towards them slowly and they run they've done something bad) its just getting them to stop it in the first place.

They aren't on a feeding schedule anymore...I think hunger was a factor in all these recent escapades...they've always been after something edible and not so much with the exploring...I've given up with Pawz's food allergy because being on the wet only just made it all worse...Dart we've given up keeping his food seperate because no matter where we put it the other two will get at it...so we're just gonna have to go with an all around feeding them all the same dry food and then when Dart leaves it'll just be one less mouth to feed. Of course that means that I'm now feeding three cats...eck!

Alright I think I'm done now...I'm not quite sure what the point of this was...I suppose once again I'm complaining and you guys are probably tired of it...So I'll stop now...*sigh* Gotta give credit where credit is due...they're smart little buggers!

Any tips for the cupboards/keeping cats off the counters/stopping myself from making murder attempts on them?

Yes that last one was a joke...even after all this I couldn't imagine being without the two demons I have grown to love...*shakes fist at cats*....as long as I'm still making jokes about them I'm mad but not *that* mad...:rolleyes:

Megan

P.S. They OPEN the cupboards!? The fridge is next I know it! (and I'm not allowed to secure it in any way either because I can't make holes in it to put a lock on it! Its not mine!)

phoenix
September 15th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Hi Megan,
I'm tired after reading that!

To secure your cupboards, go to Walmart and get child safety clips. They are screwed into the back side of the door, and latch the door to the jam (jamb?)... for you to open them, you have to push them down. This works for my dogs anyway.

dtbmnec
September 15th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Hmmmm that's a good idea...I'll probably only do it on the more "important" cupboards at the moment, mostly because putting them on all ones right now is just not feasible (I have like 20 bucks in my pocket...:sad:)....oh my finances...my poor poor finances...

Megan

jiorji
September 15th, 2006, 06:55 PM
yes...cats open cupboards, they jump on things, they run around the house, they're nocturnal, etc

you seem awfully baffled everytime you post something about your cats' "extreme behaviour" lol i'm not trying to be rude, but something tells me you didn't relly document yourself with cat books and such before you got them. They're kittens, they will turn the house upside down. Should've gotten an adult cat.

do you have doors to the kitchen?? why not lock them out?
Or not have any food in those cupboards. I slam mine really hard and the only things i have in the bottom cupboards are the cat food and paper towers and potatos. If the cats get in there nothing gets damaged. they only get in for amusement. Might want to try buying them more challenging toys. Yes that's more money out of your pocket, and i understand, i'm a student too, but well everytime i spend on the cats i say to myself "you knew this before you decided to adopt cats, stop frowning". ANd i'd rather have them be happy cats -instead of maniacs running around the house jumping on things, than have a debt free credit card. :o

dtbmnec
September 15th, 2006, 07:26 PM
yes...cats open cupboards, they jump on things, they run around the house, they're nocturnal, etc

you seem awfully baffled everytime you post something about your cats' "extreme behaviour" lol i'm not trying to be rude, but something tells me you didn't relly document yourself with cat books and such before you got them. They're kittens, they will turn the house upside down. Should've gotten an adult cat.

do you have doors to the kitchen?? why not lock them out?
Or not have any food in those cupboards. I slam mine really hard and the only things i have in the bottom cupboards are the cat food and paper towers and potatos. If the cats get in there nothing gets damaged. they only get in for amusement. Might want to try buying them more challenging toys. Yes that's more money out of your pocket, and i understand, i'm a student too, but well everytime i spend on the cats i say to myself "you knew this before you decided to adopt cats, stop frowning". ANd i'd rather have them be happy cats -instead of maniacs running around the house jumping on things, than have a debt free credit card. :o

It's more frustrating than anything...and well again I wasn't GOING to get a cat for another year or so...but that's water under the bridge...I just didn't know that cats *could* open cupboards! I knew they jumped but I had also figured that they'd be a little easier to train/keep off the counter. It just seems like all of the solutions that are presented to me the cats *like*! I mean the cats *willingly* jumping into the shower?! Egads! lol

I do need to buy the buggers more toys...unfortunately until the end of the month I haven't got any money (yay OSAP!)...my credit cards ARE maxed out (I have two) and my line of credit for school is also maxed out (at 24k)...unfortunately my cats are serious destroyers so I need to buy them the "non cheap" toys (they've broken every single "fishing" toy I've bought them)...I did buy them several catnip mice too (the cheap ones...if they're just gonna "die" then I'm not paying 20 bucks for three mice kinda deal) and they've all gone off to some hidden den of toys they have (like I know where though!) along with the catnip balls we got them! (I swear this time next year I'm going to find them all when we move the furniture!)...

Also on the list is to buy a better cat scratch post...they barely ever use the "big" one that I got them (except to sleep on) and the one they use to trim their claws is on its last legs...so I need to find a tall sturdy sisal cat scratch post and I can't bloody well find one! That is frustrating in and of itself! We're not much fans of the furniture we got now but we do need to keep it "alive" for a year or so!

As to the cupboards/kitchen...no way of locking them out (if I could I would!)...the bottom cupboards already have decent latches on them but they can be pulled open apparently...its also the cupboard I have the cat food in (which surprise surprise they want into!)...the top cupboard was where we had attempted to "hide" the food between feedings except they've gotten up on the counters and opened the cupboards...*sigh* I'll have to go out and get child locks for the cupboards because that's the only way to keep them out...and so far they haven't figured out that the cupboard with the food isn't blocked off from the cupboards under the sink so I just might be able to get away with the one latched...of course now that I've said this...:p

For the most part I think they are happy and Leo gets more and more cuddly every day (which actually scares me but that's ok ;))...I suppose I wasn't really ready for the cats and probably shouldn't have gotten them but I refuse to give them up too....They are wonderful little beasts they're just demons is all! lol Playful, psychotic, loving and cuddly demons who have ME trained not the other way around! You guys only hear about the 'bad' that my cats do but you aren't here to see all the cute things they do (speaking of I really must upload that video of Leo ;) Look for it later)

So any ideas where to get *good* fishing toys? The one from Walmart lasted a 1/2 hour I think...the one from the other pet store the fishing part lasted 15 minutes but the actual toy at the end lasted about two months! They loved the fishing toy that squeaked and the fact that it lasted until about a week ago scares me! lol :)

Megan

P.S. As promised my video: http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/dtbmnec/Leo%20and%20Pawz/?action=view&current=waterplay.flv

I hope that link works...

mona_b
September 16th, 2006, 12:49 AM
They're kittens, they will turn the house upside down.

It doesn't stop there either.....:D

My two(2 1/2 & 3) still act the way they did as kittens.Winnie isn't to bad with the jumping up on counters,tables,fridge ect.She too loves to open cuboards.That's where I keep the shopping bags.She is a bag freak.She will take them all out and drag them around..:rolleyes: As for Casper,well he's a different story.He's deaf and he just won't listen...LOL....I tried everything with him.Foil(loves it) orange peels or a citrus spray(loves that too)Sticky tape(chews on it)...I gave up on him.Heck,he even sleeps on top of the T.V

All I can say is,welcome to kittenhood...:D

As for the jumping in the shower...Casper does it all the time.He will even hop in the tub with you when you have a bath.

As for toys,I made my own catnip toys.I bought a bag of catnip and cut up an old(clean) sock.I sewed up the corners,filled it with catnip,then sewed the top.And bingo,you have a catnip toy..LOL

Winnie loves paper.So I roll up a piece of paper and throw it to her.She will play with it for hours....All you have to do is use your imagination.:D

dtbmnec
September 16th, 2006, 12:56 AM
It doesn't stop there either.....:D

My two(2 1/2 & 3) still act the way they did as kittens.Winnie isn't to bad with the jumping up on counters,tables,fridge ect.She too loves to open cuboards.That's where I keep the shopping bags.She is a bag freak.She will take them all out and drag them around..:rolleyes: As for Casper,well he's a different story.He's deaf and he just won't listen...LOL....I tried everything with him.Foil(loves it) orange peels or a citrus spray(loves that too)Sticky tape(chews on it)...I gave up on him.Heck,he even sleeps on top of the T.V

All I can say is,welcome to kittenhood...:D

As for the jumping in the shower...Casper does it all the time.He will even hop in the tub with you when you have a bath.

As for toys,I made my own catnip toys.I bought a bag of catnip and cut up an old(clean) sock.I sewed up the corners,filled it with catnip,then sewed the top.And bingo,you have a catnip toy..LOL

Winnie loves paper.So I roll up a piece of paper and throw it to her.She will play with it for hours....All you have to do is use your imagination.:D

Ooooh thanks for the ideas :D I shall try them...

My boys love the foil balls rolled up and the paper....love plastic bags but I keep away from that...

Never thought of making my own catnip toys....I shall have to find a way to make one that will go on the end of a rod or soemthing that's like "unbreakable" so yeah....

I'm wondering whether I should start taking the boys into the shower with me lol! Arron wouldn't like that too much ;) Its a far cry from the pictures I had of my two after getting wet! lol :D

Megan

chico2
September 16th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Megan,thank's for the cute video:thumbs up
Chico behaves exactly the same way with running water,he loves it,whether it's rain or from the tap.
He's favourite game is chasing the drops,when hubby plays with him using the hose(outside of course!).
My cats have mostly grown out of opening cupboards,except Vinnie,but he's only 4,as soon as they find out there is nothing interesting there they'll tire of it.
You do not need to go out and buy a ton of expensive cat-toys,I have a basket full,usually mine play with boxes,bags(under supervision),arear-rugs,rolled up paper etc...they really love the laserpointer,all 3 chase after it..
Mona the cat-nip sock is a great idea,I have fresh catnip outside and I take it in and dry it in the winter to rub it on toys.
Right now,they are enjoying fresh catnip.
Rocky in his catnip garden:D

jesse's mommy
September 16th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Very cute video. :thumbs up

Frenchy
September 16th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Chico2,you have a catnip garden,too funny!!! it's true then,you're cats are on :cloud9: I may need some tips from you soon.....I'm about to become a new mom...:)

chico2
September 16th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Frenchy,Usually catnip grows as a weed,but this spring I bought a couple of plants at the gardencenter.
My cats do not get very excited with the store bought dry stuff.They love their own crop:cat:
What are you getting???A kitten?

Frenchy
September 16th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Me,a kitten! Nope,I always adopt older ones that really need me! If everything works out,I will be adopting the grey one from the thread "gimme shelter".I can't wait to meet him!!! I even got the little collar,it's so cute!

chico2
September 16th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Aww Frenchy that would be great,he is beautiful:fingerscr you are talking about Badgers cat,right?Or the one Badger is feeding,I should say..
I should have known,with all the strays you would not get a kitten.
I hope everything goes well:thumbs up

dtbmnec
September 16th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Well the little demons have sure calmed donw a bit since the other day...not up on the counters so much. I think its because I put the food on the floor and am feeding them all dry in between meals...little buggers!

Oh I joined the raw cats food yahoo group to help me learn about raw...of course when they talk raw its like raw raw no cooking...my vet doesn't mind raw food so long as its cooked and well I don't know if I'm quite ready for having like full chickens or whatever in my freezer...:eek: still its a learning tool and maybe I"ll eventually progress up the chain? :shrug: who knows.

If I do make the switch it'll be after the dewormers have gone through among other things...you know with the money thing? :p

Anyway..those are my random updates...I should upload some more kitty pics...actuall most of them are uploaded I just haven't posted them :o

Megan

P.S. Congrats Frenchy! Hopefully s/he won't be too demonish for you :p

LM1313
September 16th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Hee hee . . . Mine open all the cupboards. Many's the time I've come home from work and Remy pops out from under the sink. :D The one thing to make sure of is that you don't keep anything poisonous, like household cleaners, where the cats can get it. I stopped keeping mine in the cupboards and put them in a closet they can't open.

Incidentally, Booster has also learned how to open the bedroom door that doesn't latch all the way and the "courtesy door" separating the toilet+bathtub part of the bathroom from the sink part of the bathroom. :rolleyes:

dtbmnec
September 16th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Yeah I'm going to have to move the stuff from under the sink....*sigh* oh well

I picked up my sweater today and there's a hole in it! Yes a hole! They've decided that my sweater is edible...*cries* Oh well its a pretty uglyish sweater anyway....warm but pink...ew pink..and its not noticeable so I'm ok for that...

Ooooooooooooooooh I joined the raw forum right? and well I was making hamburger helper tonight so I gave the boys a little bit of the raw ground beef....OMG They INHALED it! Then they licked the plate clean! O.o I think its gonna go ok :D

Megan

Kristin7
September 18th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Just make your own cat toys. Mine tend to ignore the ones I buy anyway (with few exceptions), and play w/ everything else. Many cats like the rings removed from a gallon of milk for batting around. Or how about crumpled up paper? String, like a shoestring, is one of my cats favorites. If not tied to anything, don't let them have it unsupervised though. The cardboard left from a roll of paper towel or toilet tissue might be of interest to some cats... And as suggested below, bags, such as paper grocery sacks, and boxes are great. And instead of a scratching post, I'd recommend one of those flat cardboard scratch pads (sprinkled w/ catnip). My cats totally love them and even nap on them. My declawed cat loves it too. They are inexpensive and last awhile, as some have two sides, when one side is shredded, just flip it over.