Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Food

Heather MH
February 10th, 2004, 09:16 AM
So, someone tipped me off that Iams is "crap"

So whats the best? We tried Pedigree and were told that a preservative in it caused cancer. Then we tried the vet brand (I can't remember what it was, sorry) This seemed to dry out their skin and they didn't really like it. So now they eat Iams.

Any suggestions on what is a good brand and where you find it would be appriciated. My pups are 6 month old BC if that helps in which kind is the best.

Thanks everyone !:)

amaruq
February 10th, 2004, 10:33 AM
I personally don't like Iams. I find it gives my dogs gas.

here is a web site I really like....scroll down to see comparison's

http://www.healthypetnet.com/products/food/dog/comparisons.asp?realname=10042285

On a personal level I really like Nutro but had to change due to allergies. I have them on Pro Plan Turkey and Barley...knock on wood so far so good!

Luba
February 10th, 2004, 11:31 AM
MediCal but it's expensive

However I'm considering once Sadie is over this sickness business to change her diet completely ...to organic like mine :D

Carina
February 10th, 2004, 12:41 PM
IMHO Canidae is one of the best widely available kibbles on the market, for the same price as Iams. (Actually less; you probably won't need to feed as much.)
All human grade meats, whole grains, no corn or soy, naturally preserved. If you go to their site (canidae.com) they have a dealer locator.

Burtess
February 12th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Carina
IMHO Canidae is one of the best widely available kibbles on the market, for the same price as Iams. (Actually less; you probably won't need to feed as much.)
All human grade meats, whole grains, no corn or soy, naturally preserved. If you go to their site (canidae.com) they have a dealer locator.

I am going to thank Carina again for turning us on to Canidae. We used to feed our Boxer pup Iams as well but since switching to Canidae, poops are better, and his coat glows! Gas is still there but yogurt helps with that!

Burt:)

Carina
February 12th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Burtess
I am going to thank Carina again for turning us on to Canidae. We used to feed our Boxer pup Iams as well but since switching to Canidae, poops are better, and his coat glows! Gas is still there but yogurt helps with that!

Cool! It's mostly what I fed before I fed a raw diet...I'd been feeding Iams/Eukanuba thinking it was good food before. The dogs did MUCH better when they stopped getting all that corn based kibble. :)

Heather MH
February 13th, 2004, 09:00 AM
We went and bought Canidae yesterday for the first time the pups seemed to love it. I will let you know how it works out but I'm sure it will be great. Thanks again for the website, and advice.:)

1john44
February 13th, 2004, 10:16 AM
I am not sure how it is with that type of food, but you might check to make sure on switching. Most times you don't wnat to just stop one and start another. It is usually best to begin mixing a little of the new and gradually increase the percentage of the new, until it is all the new food.

Heather MH
February 13th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Oh sorry, I didn't metion that we are mixing it right now with the old food.

1john44
February 13th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Oh good. Glad to hear that.

movingjc
April 20th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Heather MH
We went and bought Canidae yesterday for the first time the pups seemed to love it. I will let you know how it works out but I'm sure it will be great. Thanks again for the website, and advice.:)

Hi, I live in Mississauga, Toronto.

Can someone let me know where I can get Canidae in this area? any retail pet shop or?

Thanks in advance

JC:confused:

Burtess
April 20th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by movingjc
Hi, I live in Mississauga, Toronto.

Can someone let me know where I can get Canidae in this area? any retail pet shop or?

Thanks in advance

JC:confused:

They stock it at Global and Ryans in our area.

movingjc
April 20th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Burtess
They stock it at Global and Ryans in our area.

Thank you, Burt...

JC

Heather MH
April 21st, 2004, 09:11 AM
The way I found Canidae is some one on here gave me the website. You type in your postal code and it will tell you the retailers in your area. I believe the adress is www.canidae.com.

It really is great food!!!

Good Luck:D