Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bully sticks etc.

Esaunders
September 15th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Anyone have a relatively inexpensive canadian source for "Bully Sticks", "Bull Winkles" etc

I've figured out that they are a fail-proof chew toy for the pup, but are $4/ each for a 6" piece at a couple places that I've found them.

I don't mind having to get them shipped, I just don't want to have to pay the exhorbitant shipping being charged by US ebay suppliers.

SuperWanda
September 15th, 2006, 05:20 PM
:sorry: I don't have an answer for your question but it did raise some uncertainty for myself as to what the heck are bully sticks????

So, I did a search and am now asking for confirmation on this one - are they bull penises???? Dried and lightly smoked bull penises????:eek:

mafiaprincess
September 15th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Sure are...

Prin
September 15th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Yep.. lol I call them "bacon strips" just to bug the owner of the store I go to. She feels the need to correct me every time and I just say, "I know you'll call it what it is, so why should I have to? To me, they're bacon.":D

I get them for about $2.99 for a 12 inch (but thin) one. :shrug:

SuperWanda
September 15th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Man, the things that I have learnt on this forum!!!

So, are those the darker, harder, brown colored ones that I thought were some type of darker rawhide?

Why are some so long???? They must stretch them out right????

They should call them steer sticks then cause once you remove it the bull becomes a steer right???? Well, I guess they would be part of the bull initially so bull stick would be correct.

Who knew????

Prin
September 15th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Some are baby bullies and others are manly bullies.:shrug:

SuperWanda
September 15th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Who knew my dogs were chewing on some poor guys manly bits!!!!

meb999
September 15th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Some are baby bullies and others are manly bullies.:shrug:

some are little bullies, and some are POPULAR bullies!!

mafiaprincess
September 15th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Someone posted from wiki the last time bull penises came up.. so I looked at the wiki entry again..

Bull pizzles are almost exclusively used/produced today as chewing treats for dogs. The pizzles of bulls are cleaned, stretched, twisted and then dried at a very high heat. The result is a very hard, 80-100 cm long brown stick, which is then sawn into pieces appropriate for the size of the dog, usually 10-20 cm (this process also makes its anatomical origin rather unrecognizable).

The fully digestible bull pizzles are excellent chewing toys. Since they consist mostly of proteins, they can usually be ignored for the daily calorie intake of the dog. As is the case for most chewing toys, the dog will clean its teeth by itself during the lengthy chewing process. However, most humans find the smell of a half-chewed bull pizzle rather unpleasant, which is probably the reason why synthetic digestible chewing toys have become increasingly popular and displaced the dried bull pizzle into a niche for dog owners who prefer more natural or organic food for their dogs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzle

SuperWanda
September 15th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Very interesting.

OntarioGreys
September 15th, 2006, 08:12 PM
They should call them steer sticks then cause once you remove it the bull becomes a steer right???? Well, I guess they would be part of the bull initially so bull stick would be correct.

ROTFL I am sure glad my vet does not neuter your way :p

This is simply a way to used up cattle parts that killed for meat processing.

Imagine what we are paying per lb for a dried out penis, my steak was less
:crazy: