Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do you think that Greenies are Dangerous?

ChancesMom
September 15th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Due to the recent negative press that Greenies has received in Greenies being involved in blockages in dogs that lead to surgery and in some cases, deaths, do you think that they are dangerous?

I have read a ton about it and it seems pretty half and half about whether Greenies are dangerous or these incidents are rare and potentially the result of pets being fed the wrong size treat or left to eat them unsupervised resulting in swallowing the treat rather than chewing it.

I just do not know what to think.

Prin
September 15th, 2006, 02:01 AM
They're not very digestible, and there's nothing really of quality in them... But yes, if the dog bites off big chunks, greenies can be very dangerous and cause blockages.

rainbow
September 15th, 2006, 02:16 AM
I voted yes because they can be dangerous and I just would not want to take any chances. Better safe than sorry IMO.

gomez
September 15th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Gomez threw up a large piece of greenie 4 days after he had been chewing on it - the greenie had not been in the least damaged by sitting in his belly for 4 days...

How could anyone think these things are safe?

dtbmnec
September 15th, 2006, 01:21 PM
O.o I wasn't aware of any of this...why is it I always find out these things *after* I've gone and bought stuff? (welcome to "Megan's law"...I took over from Murphy)

Are we talking about the treats? The little ones?

*cries* I just bought my boys a bag of the tartar control stuff....Pawz will eat it but Leo doesn't touch the treats...Dart would inhale them if we let him...

I suppose I'll just have to be careful with them...make sure they don't have a lot...

Megan

technodoll
September 15th, 2006, 01:26 PM
i bought a few when dakotah was a puppy, trouble is he thought they were FOOD and not a chew toy, so his mission was to tear off big chunks and eat them as fast as he could... i always ended up throwing half the greenie away cuz i was scared he'd inhale it and end up with gastric troubles. :( I haven't bought any in 2 years and I won't go near them now, after the bad press. :shrug:

meb999
September 15th, 2006, 01:38 PM
definetly not worth the risk.....if your dog's teeth are dirty : clean them with a toothbrush!!

rainbow
September 15th, 2006, 01:41 PM
O.o I wasn't aware of any of this...why is it I always find out these things *after* I've gone and bought stuff? (welcome to "Megan's law"...I took over from Murphy)

*cries* I just bought my boys a bag of the tartar control stuff....Pawz will eat it but Leo doesn't touch the treats...Dart would inhale them if we let him...

I suppose I'll just have to be careful with them...make sure they don't have a lot...

Megan

I thought "Greenies" were only for dogs? Do they also make "cat" Greenies? now? :confused:

Scott_B
September 15th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Yeah they make cats ones.

I wont touch em.

dtbmnec
September 15th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Yep Megan's law strikes again....

I paid five bucks for them too....arg! I knew I should have bought the cheap ones....:frustrated:

Megan

mafiaprincess
September 15th, 2006, 02:33 PM
It's not a 'new' uproar.. There was a mass freak out like a year ago about it. I just don't see the price being worth getting them.. Rather have the butcher hook me up with real bones.

But out of some of the people who have had fits over greenies, it's another one of those things that even at the best of times should be eaten with supervision since anything can be a choking hazard. But As Prin said above.. there's nothing of value in them anyhow..

Sariss
September 15th, 2006, 06:55 PM
From personal experience working at an animal hospital... they *can* be dangerous. But no more dangerous than say... rawhides.

OntarioGreys
September 15th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Pretty much all commercial dog chew products can be swallowed in chunks large enough to cause a blockage, and most contain warning to supervise your dog while eating, so really no different than any of the other chews when it comes toi being dangerous

Heck even a raw turkey neck can pose a danger, I have had one dog that did end with a temporary blockage luckily it passed but she was something sick for a couple of days