Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Got bit today

erykah1310
September 14th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Well almost 4 months before i got bit by a dog. Not bad I guess. Considering.
However this dog just kinda "snapped" :confused:
Things started off good, he ate his cookie.. we chatted a bit, little pet from me and then I threw a stick that he was "eyeing", he brought it back all fine and dandy so I started walking towards the meter... He was following me wagging his tail and all. Just before I got to the meter he started growling at me so I stopped. ( Perhaps too suddenly:confused: ) However he then proceeded to jump at my hand ( just grazing it, no marks) but immediately he lunged at my stomach and.. well.... 2 teeth marks... Lots of bruising and rather painful.
Of cource ... No proof of ANY vaccinations... never been to a vet.
Needless to say, he has to be quarintined now, kinda stresses me out a tad..:(
Heres hoping all will be well:fingerscr

The funny thing is after he grabbed me and bit ( while growling of cource) he stopped looked at me and then went to get his stick....
Perhaps this guy was "wired wrong":confused:
Im very happy to report however that it was not a PITBULL!!! Couldnt have been a drop of Bully in him.
He looked more like a Collie shepherd mix ( go figure... all 4 dogs that i have ever been bitten by were shep mixes???) I AM NOT implying that ALL shep mixes WILL bite. Just a freaky coincidence is all.
Perhaps I have some "scent" that Shep mixes dont like???:confused:

Byrd
September 14th, 2006, 08:31 PM
:eek: Hopefully all is well with the quarentine.

Funny, cause any time I was bit/attacked while grooming it was always a shepherd/collie mix.... something about the two, they don't seem to mix well.

erykah1310
September 14th, 2006, 08:35 PM
A grossely misinformed friend of mine ( when it comes to dogs anyway) keeps saying to me things along the lines of... " Thats what happens when you put the brain of a "insert large head dog breed here" into a " insert slim headed dog here". :confused: Frankenstien dogs???? Some people i tell ya.

I think its just too many of certain breeds ( due to popularity and BYB's) breeding with unsound mates over generations and so on.
My perspective of it. ( for any breeds and mixes)

jesse's mommy
September 14th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I'm so sorry you were bit. How are you feeling now? Did the bite break the skin? I hope everything turns out for the best. :fingerscr

erykah1310
September 14th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I'm so sorry you were bit. How are you feeling now? Did the bite break the skin? I hope everything turns out for the best. :fingerscr
Its not a very bad wound but there are 2 teeth holes. One is just to say a hole and the other one bled ALOT. Its about 1/8th of an inch deep.
Its really tender and it throbs alot if i cough ( which i cant stop doing thanks to my cold) One of those days I should have just stayed home and slept I guess.
It was so weird... I keep seeing it in slow motion in my head and still cant see what provoked it? ( other than me being a stranger)

I dont know why people tie thier dogs to meter bases or gas meters??? They know we have to read them..... :frustrated:

Prin
September 14th, 2006, 08:58 PM
He looked more like a Collie shepherd mix ( go figure... all 4 dogs that i have ever been bitten by were shep mixes???) I AM NOT implying that ALL shep mixes WILL bite. Just a freaky coincidence is all.
Perhaps I have some "scent" that Shep mixes dont like???:confused:Me too! If there is a collie mix, I become tasty. :shrug:

I hope you cleaned it like madness though, just in case. :grouphug:

erykah1310
September 14th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Me too! If there is a collie mix, I become tasty. :shrug:

I hope you cleaned it like madness though, just in case. :grouphug:

I had to go to emerg... that was FUN ( extreme sarcasm) it was cleaned and i didnt need any stitches ( already started scabbing) gonna have yet another scar :frustrated: Been 4 years since my last scar so its time for a new one i suppose

mafiaprincess
September 14th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I would clean it hardcore no matter whose dog it was.. Way more so for a dog who'd never seen a vet..

But Cider got me last year while we were playing.. teeth slipped on the tuggy rope into my hand.. I peroxided myself, and it slowly got more painful anyhow.. I ended up on antibiotics because my hand was slowly getting hard to move, though it wasn't 'bad enough' yet to prove infection.

rainbow
September 14th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Hope you are okay and everything works out for the dog. :fingerscr

I dont know why people tie thier dogs to meter bases or gas meters??? They know we have to read them.....

Wow...that's really dumb but not unbelievable because, as we all know, some people are idiots. :eek:

The gas/electric companies are always putting leaflets in with their bills. Why don't you ask them to put something in their next one to tell people not to do it.

technodoll
September 14th, 2006, 09:55 PM
hubby got bitten by a collie mix in the dog park this morning (it was an accident, but still). his poor hand is swollen like a balloon, throbs like heck, and he's on antibiotics for a week. 5 stitches. of course on his GOOD hand. :mad:

erykah, you got lucky! now go have a nice cold martini or something to disinfect the blood from the inside ( giggle! )

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 14th, 2006, 11:00 PM
That must have been really scary for you - Working on the customer service end of what you do - I always feel for the meter readers.

We always ask if the customer has a dog - were required to add the info to their account no matter what the breed - indoor dog or outdoor. Most people have been honest and let us know if their dog may not be friendly. We also let people know when to expect the meter reader so they can make sure their dog is inside.

I can't believe people would tie their dogs to the meter - that is just insane :( :mad:

Anyways I hope your feeling better - and the owner at the place knows to keep his dog in next time. :grouphug:

rainbow
September 14th, 2006, 11:09 PM
JECM, I've never been asked by the electric or gas company if I had a dog. Is this something new?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 15th, 2006, 07:57 AM
JECM, I've never been asked by the electric or gas company if I had a dog. Is this something new?

I have only been working for Hydro since mid July - so it could be new - or whoever you spoke to forgot to ask you. But they really emphasise that we need to confirm that now.

Some people love to talk about their dogs too - its really cute - but I cant get to involved - or up goes my call time.

How are you feeling today Erykah are you going to read metres again, or do you get a few days off.:D

Sariss
September 15th, 2006, 08:04 AM
That sucks!
Since he wasn't vaccinated, do you have to get post exposure rabies vaccines?

erykah1310
September 15th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Today its TENDER!!!
Idont need the post rabies stuff ( depends on quarintine though)
I went to work today ( im devoted :D ) almost got bit by a black lab!!! I know this time he senced it from me. Prolly was a bit too soon to get back on the bike ( if ya know what i mean)
Other than that all is going alright. Its completly scabbed over and starting to itch.

Skryker
September 15th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Poor erykah! The lab may have sensed you were a bit wary, today, or maybe you got 2 nippers in a row. :sad: Hope you feel better soon. :grouphug:

Frenchy
September 15th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Hydro here knows I have dogs and they never come in the backyard to take the reading (even if the dogs are inside and they know it,I never let the dogs outside when I'm not there) and they leave me the card to fill out myself. Why should you take any chance?