Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hunter doesn't like Solid Gold anymore

HunterXHunter
September 14th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Don't know what's up with Hunter in the past month. My dad and I have noticed that Hunter's been leaving his Solid Gold in his bowl all day, so one day (a few weeks back), my dad went and bought IAMS (what Hunter was eating before we switched to SG many months ago) without telling me and gave some to Hunter. Surprisingly, Hunter will eat it and seems to like it :yuck:

I tried to mix in a bit of SG into his IAMS (restarting that whole "trasition to new dog food" thing) but he'll just eat all the IAMS and leave the SG behind in his bowl. Now I have 1/2 huge bag of SG left and a golden that won't touch it. It's not a big big deal because for dinner we feed him rice with veg & meat anyway. I'm just curious as to why he suddenly didn't like it anymore when he use to love it. :confused:

technodoll
September 14th, 2006, 09:51 AM
dogs do get bored of "same old, same old"... specially if he's getting such a tasty dinner (bravo!), why be attracted to dry food he's been having for a long time? you know? heck *i* wouldn't eat that stuff, LOL! If you want to finish the bag off, try mixing in some "real food yummies" to enhance the flavor a bit. cooked ground beef works specially well, mix in some plain yogurt and it's a dish few dogs can resist. kinda like pouring cheese sauce over the brussel sprouts, LOL! :D

HunterXHunter
September 14th, 2006, 10:11 AM
I guess I'm going grocery shopping tonight then :D

Um...how much yogurt do you put in relative to the amount of meat & dryfood? A bit on the side (like sour cream for baked potatoes?) or a lot (like hot, melting cheese poured on nachos...mmmmm...nachos...)

technodoll
September 14th, 2006, 10:21 AM
mmmm... naaaaachos.... :cloud9:

it depends on you! i like to put maybe 1 or 2 tablespoons per big bowl of kibble? with about 1/2 pound of cooked ground beef? to make a smooth mix... coats the dry food...

sometimes i buy a "meatball stew" can from the dollar store, heat it up, mash it well and use that to coat the kibble... or canned fish like salmon, tuna, mackeral, sardines (all packed in water)... with or without yogurt, which is just a good binder IMO...

heck add *anything* you know hunter likes on its own, and chances are he'll eat it mixed with his kibble too. :fingerscr hope it works!

rainbow
September 14th, 2006, 12:08 PM
What are you going to feed after the 1/2 bag of Solid Gold is used up? I hope that by adding all the "yummies" to it that you don't end up with a picky Hunter. ;)

meb999
September 15th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Iams tastes better than SG --- kinda like patato chips taste better than brocoli!!

I often add yummies to Buster's food....even when he's not being picky. I add either a little yogurt (which helps with gassy-ness), or a teaspoon of canola oil (which makes his fur, oh! so shiny) or a little bit of meat (whatever I'm making for dinner minus the spices...)

You should check out the other SG thread though.....they're changing their formula! :eek: