Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need help...im new not sure if this is the place to post this

sonnybaby
September 13th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Hello everyone...im currently doing a paper on a fact claim and my claim is dogs bring happiness...and im having trouble finding statistics on this does anyone know of any from a reliable source please help...

Writing4Fun
September 13th, 2006, 02:41 PM
At the bottom of this page (http://www.dogplay.com/Resources/books.html), there are some resources about animal-assisted therapy programs and the positive effects of exposure to dogs (ex. decreased blood pressure, etc...). I'm sure if you Google 'study effects of dogs' or some similar string, you'll find great results. There are lots to be had out there. Good luck! :thumbs up

sonnybaby
September 13th, 2006, 03:03 PM
oh thank you very much...i really appreciate it thanks

PetFriendly
September 13th, 2006, 05:36 PM
I once saw on TV (Must have been a Discovery station, or maybe Life or TLC), that some doctors in England can prescribe companion animals for patients, heart patients and people with depression I think... The show said that the animals medical costs were covered by the health care system.

I'd check and see what sort of info you get from Google on medical companion animals in England and go from there.

H.P.
September 13th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I don't know of any studies, but I work in a psychiatric clinic and our providers often write letters (doctors orders) to landlords to let people have a pet in properties that generally do not allow them. In 5 years, I have never known a landlord to refuse.

mummummum
September 15th, 2006, 12:15 PM
You might also want to google animals and women in prison. I recall that there is a P4W ~ I believe it's Ontario's but, I could be wrong ~ which has a dog training program for women inmates created to not only give them a viable work skill but also to enable them to develop empathy. Apparently it is or was quite successful.

Sucker4aStray
September 16th, 2006, 12:31 AM
check out http://www.safeharborprisondogs.com it is not a womens prison, but there are some pretty good stories about how the dogs have affected their prisoner caretakers. Plus they are the group that rescued my baby so I like them alot :)