Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat allergy update and Pawz...

dtbmnec
September 13th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Well a while back I posted about being allergic to the cats...well I have good news and bad news...

Good news: I'm not allergic to a darn thing! NOTHING! From parakeets to cats to mold to pollen! Yay!

Bad news: My nose/eyes are still as bad as before...this is caused by my sinus being *twisted*...so I have a deformed nose! Fun! So now I get to take a nose thing twice a day in each nostril to help with it. So I'm permanently on a cold! FUN! Go Permanent sickness!!!!!

On another note...Pawz is not a happy kitty...We went back to the radioactive poop again, not just the super soft poop...so it definately can't be the dry food. Now it means its either the wet or there is something in his tummy that's causing it. *sigh* My poor baby...:( So now I've got him eating the dry stuff again. I hope his poops get better!

So is there going to be a problem having him on the dry only for a few weeks to see if that helps/is the cause? It shouldn't hurt him should it? I mean chances are he won't end up with crystals this early/fast would he?

On a side note: A friend of mine said that she had a cat and it was diagnosed with "chronic diarrhea" and that it would never be cured. She also said that she needs to have it put down in that case? Is there any truth to this?

Megan

Kristin7
September 13th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I haven't been able to read all the posts related to this problem, but are you SURE there is no medical problem with Pawz? You probably have had Pawz checked out, but it doesn't hurt to double check, even with a different vet. Sorry if you've already done that...

If it is just the food, maybe his insides need time to heal. Have you tried feeding him pumpkin? I had a cat who would get diarrhea to the point of bleeding on occasion, and he responded very well to being fed pumpkin (he also would usually need antibiotics, but the pumpkin helped too). Check this tip out: http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-75.htm

good luck!

dtbmnec
September 13th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I haven't been able to read all the posts related to this problem, but are you SURE there is no medical problem with Pawz? You probably have had Pawz checked out, but it doesn't hurt to double check, even with a different vet. Sorry if you've already done that...

If it is just the food, maybe his insides need time to heal. Have you tried feeding him pumpkin? I had a cat who would get diarrhea to the point of bleeding on occasion, and he responded very well to being fed pumpkin (he also would usually need antibiotics, but the pumpkin helped too). Check this tip out: http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-75.htm

good luck!

Well they did a stool sample and that came back negative for anything....we'll be doing another sample in about a month or so because there is the possibility that he's got worms right now....the diarrhea problem though has been happening his entire life (since we got him) which is why I thought it was the food....He's been off the dry stuff (what I thought was the culprit) for about two or three weeks and his poop's just gotten worse since we tried that....he's been on two rounds of that mena-something (I can't remember what it is atm, just that it helps firm up the poop) and every time he goes off it he's back to having really soft poop. *sigh* The strangest part of it all is that he's being all normal cat-like (he wouldn't be up on my counters otherwise I don't think!) and he's just not showing any other symptoms of anything.

I'll see if I can find the pumpkin though...thanks :)

Megan

Kristin7
September 13th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I hope you find something that works. How old is he? The cat I was talking about, he had really bad worms as a young kitten, maybe that had damaged his intestines. Anyway, he had diarrhea a lot, sometimes progressing to gastritis, and even a couple bouts of pancreatitis. He was quite thin, but very active and playful. After a few years of eating good food, pumpkin, medical treatments when things got really bad, and TLC , he did eventually put on weight and is fine now at 10 years old (living with an ex-boyfriend of mine - he was a shared kitty and i lost him in the breakup). Radioactive poop sounds bad!

LM1313
September 13th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Ack, sorry to hear about your nose!

What kind of food is Pawz on right now? Natural Balance has a formula for cats who are allergic to a lot of things (if that's what Pawz has) . . . It's venison and dried peas, I think.

dtbmnec
September 13th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Ack, sorry to hear about your nose!

What kind of food is Pawz on right now? Natural Balance has a formula for cats who are allergic to a lot of things (if that's what Pawz has) . . . It's venison and dried peas, I think.

Well I"ve had him on the all wet Performatrin for the last few weeks now so it may have something to do with it being too wet? or something like that. That's all he's had and its gotten worse so I'm gonna try him on the dry again and see if it improves or not. If its still radioactive again then there is something wrong, I've simply assumed it was the food. I'm reluctant to change the food until they're off the roundworm meds so its gonna take a while (it'll also give me a chance to see how him on a mix or on dry only for a few weeks and see if one is better than the other poop-wise).

I've also tried putting some pumpkin in with his food. He wouldn't touch it. Then the others got a hold of the pumpkin-ized food and ate it (which is probably good for them anyway) and then he deigned to eat it! So hopefully that'll help with the radioactive poop (no it is DEFINATELY not good...incredibly stinky and rather gross). It's a good thing I love the little bugger! lol :p

After that I'll definately try the other food, the Natural Balance. If that works then its great, if not then well I don't know! The vet of course wants him on either the vet food or the Science Diet. Hopefully by that time I'll have a bit of extra money and look into the raw diet (but cook the meat just in case of salmonella etc. and put in supplements instead). That way if he's still just as bad on the raw then its gotta be his tummy or he's just going to be a soft poopy cat. *shrugs* we'll see when the time comes.

On a Dart note...Dart has a bald spot on his tummy...its not his nipples because its too big and there's no nipple...from what we can tell he hasn't been licking it or anything...I touched it today and he really started squirming so its obviously irritating (or else he's had enough "back" time)...its probably no larger than any of the smileys on the site....definately not any bigger than :thumbs up 's head. It looks just like his skin really so its not red or discolored either. We're gonna keep an eye on it for sure but it doesn't seem to be a "serious" issue for him (ie. he's still being normal crazy Dart and isn't obsessing over it) right now. He's got round worms and he's been given the one pill (Interceptor) already and on the 22nd he gets another pill and then another two weeks after that he gets a third. I can't seem to think of anything he could have gotten his tummy caught on and while the boys have been playing a little more roughly (since they're bigger) we haven't seen any blood or anything either. Could it be the worms?

Megan