Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Less food = Hunger?

H.P.
September 12th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I started to transition Sydney from Pedigree Puppy to Canidae. She will be getting a lot less volume of the Canidae when the switch is complete. Won't she be hungry? Or is that part of the reason to switch gradually? If I cut my food intake that much, even if I was getting all the nutrients I needed, my stomach would feel empty.

Prin
September 12th, 2006, 09:59 PM
When you switch, you keep the same amount until the switch is over and then you gradually start to reduce. If you reduce too much, yes, your doggy will get hungry.:)

Angies Man
October 6th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I switched Angie over to California Natural Puppy kibbles, for her weight, she's only supposed to get 4 cups a day--she doesn't even need that much, has a lot more energy, and the awful stinky farts are a thing of the past.

I don't think the current stuff is as tasty as the stuff it replaced, but it seems to be a lot better. (old stuff was Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul.)

technodoll
October 6th, 2006, 09:38 PM
since a good-quality food will be better absorbed (you'll see less poop!), the dog gets more nutrients & energy from less food by volume... so no, hunger should not be an issue :)

rainbow
October 6th, 2006, 10:47 PM
I agree. You feed less when you feed a better quality food. Your dog will be just as satisfied and in better health also.