Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hooray, Hooray, Kallu, Kallay!!

Esaunders
September 12th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I have FINALLY found a food that my picky pup will eat happily. SG's Barking at the Moon.

As long as its present, he'll eat his SG or Fromm's without a problem. All I need to do is add warm water. (I'm mixing it with a normal protien level food to balance it out)

Now I just need to figure out why he'll only play with & bury his raw food instead of eating it ...

The nice thing is that after a month of adding in the Barking at the Moon, his weight is finally just about where it should be. (Nice thin fat layer on ribs)

No more daily adding of cottage cheese, yogurt, salmon, broth etc required. :highfive:

rainbow
September 12th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Glad to hear your picky pup picked a perfect food. :D

I don't feed raw but from reading some of the threads it seems to be common for dogs to play with it first. :p

Esaunders
September 12th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I'm happy that I've got enough weight on him that I can be comfortable letting him go hungry if he tries to get fussy about the food.

No more picky pup from now on, pup eats what he's given or pup goes hungry. (I'm so mean)

rainbow
September 12th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Oh you evil mom. :evil:

technodoll
September 12th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Now I just need to figure out why he'll only play with & bury his raw food instead of eating it ...

The nice thing is that after a month of adding in the Barking at the Moon, his weight is finally just about where it should be. (Nice thin fat layer on ribs)

yayy! so happy you found a winning combination :D as for the raw food, some dogs are just not that into it :shrug: however, i have found that by searing stuff to get some tasty juices running (but not cooking the meat & bones), it often does the trick.

No more daily adding of cottage cheese, yogurt, salmon, broth etc required

but... there is nothing wrong with adding Real Food to kibble, on the contrary. i highly encourage you to continue doing this, it's super beneficial on all accounts! variety in the diet, specially the addition of "fresh foods", is key to a long healthy life AND an interesting mealtime for doggy. i mean... i wouldn't eat the same boring dry stuff day after day all my life... ya know? :)

Esaunders
September 12th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I hear you technodoll!

Trust me, I don't intend to doom him to "dry kibble forever" Its just nice to be able to have flexibility instead of "OMG! We're out of cottage cheese! He'll NEVER eat"

We've discovered that he adores popcorn. I can sit in front of the tv with a bowl and teain him to not crawl into my lap by only tossing it to him when he sits at a polite distance. Its hilarious how fast he comes running when the hot air popper starts up

technodoll
September 12th, 2006, 09:42 PM
your dog has great taste! i LOVE LOVE LOVE popcorn too :D

y'know, sometimes dakotah *chooses" dry kibble over one mixed with goodies, or meats, or other stuff... guess they like the variety huh? noooooo our dogs are not spoiled, noooooooo! :D

Prin
September 12th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Great that things are slowly figuring themselves out... bit by bit...:)