Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need a link for info on Menadione

erykah1310
September 11th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I have been reading a bit lately on menadione and how its been banned from human foods and stuff like that, anyway, while looking for a good food for Puppy ( meet his needs) Everything that I have pamphlets for or have looked up lately has contained menadione. I want to know more about it and the reasoning why its so bad.

I have searched the threads and have only learnt that its a vit K suppliment ( i think) and just that its bad.

Googling it hasnt really helped much either.

meb999
September 11th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I don't have an answer for you...but I think it has something to do with free radicals (even though they're free, apparently they're bad)....Where's a biology expert when you need one?!

erykah1310
September 11th, 2006, 08:45 PM
no kidding!
But seriously.... free radicals ... sounds like some wild 80's fun :D ( guess i wasnt that serious after all there ... oooppppsies:( )

erykah1310
September 11th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I found some info for myself ( and others who may be interested) on free radicals.
I kinda have a better grasp ( I think ) now.
http://www.healthchecksystems.com/antioxid.htm

Prin
September 11th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Yeah, there's a thread about it here. It is banned for human consumption and does produce a significant amount of free radicals. Free radicals are very disruptive to DNA and proteins and can lead to cancers and tumors. To get rid of free radicals, you need antioxidants. Normally, you always need those because you always have some free radicals attacking from other sources (like the sun). Vitamin K3 (menadione) is a known source, so just like the sun, if you can avoid exposure (which you usually can with dog food), then do. If you can't avoid it, then make sure your doggy gets more antioxidants than usual.

Here's a thing on antioxidants:
http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/pressreleases/antioxidants

Oh and on top of that it is said that menadione can disrupt kidney and liver function and some essential cellular mechanisms. :shrug:

meb999
September 11th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Yeah, there's a thread about it here. It is banned for human consumption and does produce a significant amount of free radicals. Free radicals are very disruptive to DNA and proteins and can lead to cancers and tumors.

But they're FREEEEEE!!! You know what's the best kind of radical? A free radical!
ok....I'm tired...time to go to bed.....

erykah1310
September 11th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Oh and on top of that it is said that menadione can disrupt kidney and liver function and some essential cellular mechanisms. :shrug:

When i read that a little while ago thats what set off bells for me. Puppy always consumed alot of water since i got him, vets thought and checked for liver diseases ( nothing out of the ordinary as of 7 months ago) but they want to keep checking him due to his age and extremely poor diet through out his years.

It is time to bring him back for his check up and i hope this time that things are still good. :fingerscr

Prin
September 11th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Meb, you're hilarious. :D

:fingerscr Puppy is ok.