Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poor Meik, hunting season has started

erykah1310
September 11th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Tonite there was a few hunters in the neighbours field hunting geese. When a flock did fly over. OFF went the shots. Meik is TERRIFIED of ANY loud banging,especially guns. He still isnt quite himself yet. Poor little buddy:sad:
Immediately when the ruckus began he started panting and pacing around the house, all the while wimpering. Kita and Puppy just got up and ran to the window to bark and scare the noise away.

Fall is such a beautiful season, poor Meik is always too frightened to go out and enjoy it. Its gonna be hard to get him to go out tomorrow morning now.

Poor Little Guy, any sugestions on how I can get him to be less "sensitive" to the noise???

Frenchy
September 11th, 2006, 09:34 PM
They have the right to hunt that close to your house? :eek: I tried everything with Daisy and Bailey,they're afraid of thunder.The only thing that worked a bit was at my vet;Clomi-Calm (natural productl) ,but I could never give it to them on time :(

BMDLuver
September 11th, 2006, 09:39 PM
When the hunters are out shooting and your guy starts to hear the sounds, do the following... may sound nuts but Berners are very noise sensitive and this works wonders for those that are afraid of thunder or loud noises so perhaps it will work in your situation as well:

Get really excited about the noise, clap, exclaim with glee, cheer, do the happy dance kind of thing... every time you hear gunshots... that way when he hears them he'll think it's a happy sound and one to look forward to not fear..

Hope that made sense.

erykah1310
September 11th, 2006, 09:42 PM
That does make sence. Perhaps we can bust out a game of something when we hear those noises. ( that always cheers him up)
Good suggestion!
Going to definately give it a try. He is very sensitive to thunder as well so perhaps thunder storms will mean play time too!

phoenix
September 11th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Poor Meik!
I hate this season. My parents said tonight that it sounds like a war zone at their place. GRRRRRR

Frenchy
September 11th, 2006, 09:47 PM
When the hunters are out shooting and your guy starts to hear the sounds, do the following... may sound nuts but Berners are very noise sensitive and this works wonders for those that are afraid of thunder or loud noises so perhaps it will work in your situation as well:

Get really excited about the noise, clap, exclaim with glee, cheer, do the happy dance kind of thing... every time you hear gunshots... that way when he hears them he'll think it's a happy sound and one to look forward to not fear..

Hope that made sense.
I've tried that,dancing in the middle of the living,signing to loud music,good thing my neighbors can't see or hear me!

erykah1310
September 11th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Thanfully i Have NO neighbours ( within earshot of me) :D

BMDLuver
September 11th, 2006, 09:55 PM
lol... I know that the mental image it projects in one's mind is not a pretty one where neighbours are concerned but mine already feel I'm nuts so why not give em reason I say. ;)

Prin
September 11th, 2006, 10:40 PM
lol BMD, that is a really funny image. I can just see you doing that with 10 fosters around. :D Chaos!