Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Possible tumor on my dog?

Callieria
February 9th, 2004, 01:42 PM
We found a hard bump on my 3 yr old German Sheppard X approx. 2 weeks ago. It was the same color as her skin, didn't seem to hurt her when we tried squeezing it or playing with it but it did seem quite big. It was hard. She has obviously been chewing at it - the bump is now "weeping" and reddish in color. It still doesn't seem to bug her very much, but it is raw from her chewing. It's on the top of her tail, but very close to her butt. Is it possible that it's a cyst she could have burst open? Is there something we could put on it to get her to leave it alone?

Thank you!!

1john44
February 9th, 2004, 02:37 PM
You should take her to the vet. It could be something harmless, but with it seeping and all it will allow an infection to spread and being on the hind end, it will easily pick up germs.

It could also be something far more serious. Cancer can be taken care of if caught early. So please call a vet and make an appointment.

mona_b
February 9th, 2004, 02:55 PM
I agree.

Call the vet and make an appointment.It could be anything.

melanie
February 9th, 2004, 03:49 PM
my shepherd gets similar sounding things called a derma cyst. they are due to the double coat system of the shepherd and it is a form of ingrown hair that forms a hard lump, we started getting them at around 2yo. they are easily removed by the vet and are not dangerous if closed. BUT you have an open wound and if it is a cyst the dog could suffer terribly, the vet told me to see him immeadiatly if they ever weeped so get a move on, and remember the tail is part of the spine so it could press nerves ect. i always get the ones in this area and on back removed for this reason. but we have only had 3 in 8 years and another is going to be removed soon due to its growth. with lumps check often for any changes and if there are any get it removed asap. but get it removed asap as your dog cannot be enjoying the discomfort and if it got infected ect it could end up a far more serious situation.

melanie
February 9th, 2004, 03:53 PM
forgot to say, dont put anything on it, try to keep it clean and go to a vet. she will not leave it alone only make it worse and avet is the only one who can cure her, and if you need a bit of motivation, just imagine having that on your butt ouch;)

tumorproblems
July 23rd, 2007, 07:58 PM
My dog has tumors throughout most of his vital organs...any treatment of any kind would help alot...He wont eat even his favorite foods..been to vet and nothing seems to be helping...antibiotics hav been putting his fever down a bit but he still has ALOT of tumors...more and more everyday...We may have to put him down if nothing else works so any remedy etc. would help..PLEASE HELP..dog is young and needs to live longer...THANKS A MILLION..

mummummum
July 23rd, 2007, 08:38 PM
As this post is about 3 years old, I would suggest tumoprproblems that you post a question/ concern on your own in the health forum and please provide as much detail as possible, particularly about any diagnoses or treatment paths you have tried.