Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

"Training Back' the Quick

PetFriendly
September 10th, 2006, 06:48 PM
How long should it take to train back the quick of a dog's nail? Apparently I got lazy over the summer and even when Charley's nails are freshly cut I can hear him clicking on the floor with his nails. I need the get the nails shorter for the winter so they don't wear out his boots any faster than necessary.
I've been taking a bit off the end every week, going close to the quick but not too close.
So, how long should it take to train the quick back? And how often should I be taking the ends off his nails to help the process along?

phoenix
September 10th, 2006, 06:50 PM
oooh good question. (I would like to know as well)

Prin
September 10th, 2006, 09:46 PM
no idea... I'd guess it depends on the doggy. We talked about how to do it in another thread, though...

PetFriendly
September 11th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I know how, (discovered a website after posting) but I'm impatient :frustrated: and want to know how long I have to wait before I see (or no longer hear) results.

PetFriendly
September 15th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Apparently it take a little over 4 weeks, if the nails are crazy over grown to begin with. Charley had his spa night last night (good brushing and nail clipping) and you can barely hear him on the floor (I say barely because it does sound like one nail isn't quite short enough)

mafiaprincess
September 15th, 2006, 01:00 PM
good luck.. When the clicking drives me mental.. I go on a nail spa spree.. but within a day or two she's flexing her toes to make sure she has the upmost traction, so we are never click free anymore.

we3beagles
September 15th, 2006, 01:23 PM
can someone post either the website or thread. I can't find it in a search.
Thanks

PetFriendly
September 15th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Can't find the link, but hte basic idea is to cut a little off more often. When I started, though his nails were cut short (any shorter and I would have hit the quick), he was still ticking on the floor. I started doing Charley's nails once a week, taking as much off as possible without cutting into the quick. (easier cause his nails aren't black).

Now, unless he's running full tilt down the hall, you can't hear him at all.

dogmelissa
September 17th, 2006, 06:21 PM
This is the most recent thread on this topic (started by me): http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=29779

My agility trainer made some very good arguments about short claws at our last session; she said that if you can hear the claws clicking when a dog walks over linoleum, they are too long for agility. They can catch & tear on things like dog-walks (the up & down ramps), and it also often forces a dog to essentially walk on his claws, rather than the pads of his feet, which can lead to torn nails and other injuries (sprains, strains, torn tendons, broken limbs if they fall off obstacles, etc).

So I, too am on a "shorten the claws" mission, but I think I'm going to try the dremel approach, as from what I've read about it, it's easier to get closer to the quick without actually cutting into it (my dog also has white claws, so it's easy to see, but as you can read in that thread, they seem to bleed before I even get to where the pink is, so it's frustrating for me and painful for my dog).

It's taken you about 4 weeks of once-a-week trimmings to get short? Good to know. :)
Thanks!
Melissa