Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What Breed is He?

Amy's Mom
September 10th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Hi all.

My daughter just got a puppy. They know that the mom is lab, but don't have a clue what the father is. Any ideas? Here is a photo of Tango at 6 weeks.
I think he is going to be a big dog!

Delores

Amy's Mom
September 10th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Here is another photo of Tango.

erykah1310
September 10th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Try this again,
I cant believe how much he resembles Kita when she was a pup, I dont have many pics of her as a pup, but I do have this one of her and her litter mates.
Id put my money on Boxer mix
(kita is rottie/boxer)

phoenix
September 10th, 2006, 04:46 PM
There are a fair number of breeds that have that brindle coloration. I have a boxer/lab mix, and I also would guess that your pup is mixed with boxer. He is now 21 months old and 85 lbs, so yes, pretty big! Here he is as a puppy. They have a similar look in the face, I think.

Prin
September 10th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Lab/pitty... that's my guess.:shrug:

rainbow
September 10th, 2006, 05:08 PM
He could be either lab/boxer or lab/pittie but he sure is cute. :D

Maxine
September 10th, 2006, 05:23 PM
phoenix: 85 lbs at 21 months.... Can you imagine my boy, he's 9 months and 85 lbs also.... I'm hoping he won't be more than 100 lbs full grown....:sorry: :offtopic:

i would say pitbull or boxer, as the other said :)
he's so cute tho!!!!!

Maxine

normag
September 10th, 2006, 05:25 PM
too cute I could spoil him--no problem

Amy's Mom
September 11th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Hi.
Thanks for the input. Yes I do think that he is lab/pitty or lab/rottie. he is going to be a big boy, whatever breed he is. My daughter wants to raise him with her kids, 3, 2, and 6 months.

the kids already have had fun carting him around, but I think that won't last for too long, he's soon going to be to big for that.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 11th, 2006, 10:49 AM
It's hard to tell at that age, 'cause he looks a lot like a puppy I used to have (except mine was black). Now as an adult, the dog looks like a whippet/lab cross. In fact I posted pics on here at the time, but that was a couple years ago, so I have no idea where they are, lol.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 11th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Wow! I found the thread, that's surprising, I couldn't even remember what my s/n was at the time, hence the different s/n, but yeah, anyway, just to make a point.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5632

The original poster is me, and the dog (Sable), was mine at the time but now belongs to my dad's friend.
Look at the pics and read through the thread, people guessed lab/pitbull, lab/border collie, lab/akita, lab/german shepherd, and lab/aussie.

Well at over 2 years old, we can now tell he's an OBVIOUS lab/whippet mix. Very skinny, long face, bounces straight up in the air, runs really fast. He basically looks like a whippet with different head, lol.
So yeah, guessing a young puppies ident is almost impossible.

If I absolutely had to guess though, I would guess lab/boxer.

phoenix
September 11th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Hi.
Thanks for the input. Yes I do think that he is lab/pitty or lab/rottie. he is going to be a big boy, whatever breed he is. .

He isn't lab/rottie... the brindle color had to come from somewhere. (correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think rotties come in brindle do they?)

That color is typical of bully breeds (pits, boxers, bulldogs) and some other breeds as well.

Amy's Mom
September 11th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I talked with my daughter earlier and she said that Tango is Golden Retriever/? Mother is purebred Golden and father is a mystery. i Think that after looking at his pics., he could very well be a pitty/boxer. Who knows?

Dee

erykah1310
September 11th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Regardless of what he is, he is too adorable!!!!

I love brindle, such a beautiful coloring.

Cygnet
September 11th, 2006, 06:44 PM
He's gorgeous. That mahogany brindle is my favorite dog color and I love his eyes. My vote is that he is a golden (only because your daughter says his mother was a golden)/pit bull.

wdawson
September 11th, 2006, 06:58 PM
looks similar to beathoven....my mutt......lab/pit/beagle.......but go with lab/boxer:D

Angies Man
September 11th, 2006, 10:27 PM
6 weeks is too young to tell. I had a brindle great dane--coloring was just like that, and his (uncut) ears looked a lot like your pups.

Amy's Mom
October 20th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Well I talked to my daughter today and she said the vet figures that Tango is Golden Retriever crossed with boxer. I told her that a lot of you thought he was part boxer and she said to thank everyone cause when she talked to the vet he agreed with her and you.

She now has 4 litle ones 3 and under. I don't envy her at all. My three grandchildren are 3 1/2, 2 1/2, and 8 months. She just includes the pup in everything they do.

Again, thanks for all of you for your ideas and thoughts.

Prin
October 20th, 2006, 03:08 PM
She sounds busy but a great skin and fur mom.:)

rainbow
October 20th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I agree, and WOW....does she have her hands full. :D