Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

getting our new 'baby' today

dakar
September 9th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Well, today is the day. For the last two years my daughter has been planning and working hard so that she could convince us that she can get a kitten and today we will be heading to the humane society to adopt. We have two dogs and have had cats before (not for many many years, though). We have figured out the logistics of introducing a kitten into the mix and have contingency plans if the kitten doesn't mix with the dogs (the kitten gets the downstairs and the pups get the upstairs). We are very excited (especially the kids)!! And I want everything to go well! Any advice from kitty veterans would be welcome. She will already be spayed and have her first shot but what is the health protocol when we get her home? How soon should she see the vet? (She will be vet checked before we get her by the shelter vet) Are there any great ideas out there for aclimating her to her new surroundings? She will be an indoor cat - which we've never done before. Our other cats were indoor/outdoor/barn cats but we live in the city now and will keep this cat indoors. Are there any special considerations we should be aware of with an indoor cat? You can't see me but I'm doing a happy dance! We're getting a kitty ~~ We're getting a kitty!!!

erykah1310
September 9th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Congrats!!!

This thread actually makes me feel happy, the fact that it definately has been a well thought out desicion and the whole family agrees to it!!!!:thumbs up
She will be a bit scared of your home for a few days, just try to leave her to adjust ( which will be hard, cause you guys are gonna want to cuddle her to no end)

I dont have much other advice for you.
I just had to congratulate kikj l/]\\\\ cdxxxxghcb you on your new additon.

PS kikj l/]\\\\ cdxxxxghcb <---- that was Mia expressin her joy too!:D

badger
September 9th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Since the dogs will be VERY interested, I would keep her in her own room for now, with her bed, litter box and toys, and your daughter can spend time with her there. If she's a kitten, she'll be super playful and probably not too traumatized at the change of scenery. If you go for a cat that has a 'history', try to find one that is reasonably relaxed. After a few days, when she knows you a little better, prop the door open - but don't let the dogs into that room - it will be her space, where she can retreat if things get hairy.
Patience is the key.
Of course, you will be using the 'leave it' command with your dogs if they hassle her too much, even if it is just friendly interest. How you handle these 'confrontations' at the beginning will set the tone.
Enjoy!

dtbmnec
September 9th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I just had to congratulate kikj l/]\\\\ cdxxxxghcb you on your new additon.

PS kikj l/]\\\\ cdxxxxghcb <---- that was Mia expressin her joy too!:D

ROFL my cats do that too....usually when I'm typing something particularly important like my essays for class or whatever...:rolleyes:

Sorry minor threadjack....

Congrats and I hope your new kitty does well...and remember if it doesn't sound like a herd of elephants in your house, your cat is being too quiet and go find her! lol :D

Megan

rainbow
September 9th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Congratulations on the latest addition to your family. Sounds like you already have everything well planned. :thumbs up

Just introduce the kitten very slowly to the dogs and be there to constantly supervise for the first little while. As long as your dogs don't chase and traumatize the little one things will work out fine as kittens adapt really well.

Good luck and enjoy the crazy antics of your new kitten. :cat: :D

dakar
September 9th, 2006, 05:00 PM
She's home! My daughter named her Ringo (after Ringo Starr). She is very tiny and very, very wary! DD managed to convince Ringo to sit on her knee at the shelter and now DD has a new appendage! As long as she is cuddled up with DD, Ringo is a purr monster. If they are apart, Ringo hides somewhere. It's going to take some patience and we've decided to put off the dog/kitty meeting for at least a few days 'till she settles in some. But we are all smilin' at my house!

rainbow
September 9th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Don't forget we need to see some pics. :D

jesse's mommy
September 10th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Oh yes please, lots of pictures! :D

erykah1310
September 10th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Just kinda curious how things have been going???

dakar
September 11th, 2006, 04:19 PM
It's been quite the experience with the kitten and two dogs. Mostly funny but kinda sad too. Ringo (kitten) is very skittish and any sudden movement freaks her right out! Heaven forbid someone sneezes! But even one of us getting off a chair can send her running. And where does she run? To the place that feels most like 'home'. Our large size crate (cage type) in the kitchen. She loves it in there. She just snuggles up in our dog's blanket and sleeps. Needless to say this freaks out the dog when she comes in. Also, any time we pet the cat then go out to play with the dog, she smells the cat on us and proceeds to pee all over. (we have a slight submissive urination problem). So today I decided it was time for all pets to meet face to face (so to speak). I put Brie in her kennel and had Freckles down/stay (he's solid - an earthquake wouldn't break him in down/stay - mostly lazy I think) Then I held Ringo on my lap and sat between the dogs. Well, Freckles just started to shake but he wouldn't look at Ringo. Brie was a little more sulky. She moved to the very back of the crate turned her back on me, lay down and refused to move. She would kinda look over her shoulder if I called but when she saw Ringo was still there she just turned back around. I honestly didn't think she could make herself so small! She fits the crate perfectly but managed to scrunch herself up hard against the back wires and settled in. Ringo just kept up a low kind of growl and if Freckes' shaking got violent enough that she thought he was going to get up she would hiss and lash out. It was quite comical. We stayed like that until I could pat Freckes and it was OK with Ringo. Nothing would passify Brie, though. Tried treats and everything. She was not moving until that thing was gone! Then I separated them all and we'll try again tomorrow. I wish I could figure our how to get my pics small enough to post. More later.

rainbow
September 11th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I guess you did not have Freckles and Brie when you had your other cats. How old and how big are they? Once they realize Ringo isn't going to leave I'm sure they'll come around.

dakar
September 11th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Brie is one yr and the size of a small horse! lol actually she is the size of a large standard poodle - she's a standard poodle/lab/border collie we think. Freckles is a Brittany and he's 13. Freckles was around when we had cats and he was quite a mother to them. Liked to cuddle etc. I think the hissing put him off. I'm sure they will all come around it's just going to be a fun process. ;)