Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Timberwolf Ocean Blue dry dog food

riley's_mom
September 8th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Hi. Has anyone out there tried the Timberwolf Ocean Blue Dog Food? I have a dog with major food issues (both grains and proteins) and I am thinking of trying this food. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

MyBirdIsEvil
September 8th, 2006, 10:21 PM
That's what my dogs are eating right now, what do you want to know?

One of my dogs has chicken allergies and they were eating the dakota bison, and now I opened the ocean blue about 5 days ago and they're still doing well.

Prin
September 8th, 2006, 11:09 PM
It's a really good food. I haven't tried it because it's not available here, but if I could, I would.:)

riley's_mom
September 9th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Have you been adding anything to the dry food or just feeding as is out of the bag? Have you had problems with soft stool? My dog can only tolerate fish and can't have any rice so my options are limited. He is currently eating Wellness fish and sweet potato and is starting to have problems with diarrhea again. I guess I am mainly looking for input on how people's dogs are doing on the food and if they are adding anything to it. I know I have a hyper-sensitive dog and I was hoping to find someone with the same situation that may have tried the food. Thanks!!

MyBirdIsEvil
September 9th, 2006, 09:00 AM
My dogs stools are normal, probably the only food they've been on where it has been.
I don't add anything to their food, I give them stuff like yogurt, fruit, veggies, etc. seperately, but they just eat a normal bowl of dry food twice a day.

I'm really impressed with it so far, Walnut, the one that's allergic to chicken, hasn't had red spots or shed a lot while on it so far, and they both have really good muscle tone.

Puppyluv
September 9th, 2006, 09:06 AM
My dogs stools are normal, probably the only food they've been on where it has been.

I'm really impressed with it so far, Walnut, the one that's allergic to chicken, hasn't had red spots or shed a lot while on it so far, and they both have really good muscle tone.

I agree that TW is great, but how can you comment that the food has provided/maintained great muscle tone if you've only been feeding it for 5 days?? After 5 days you would still be feeding a mixture of TW and DB, and stool, shedding and muscle tone would likely still be reflecting the DB, not the TW.

meb999
September 9th, 2006, 11:55 AM
It's a really good food. I haven't tried it because it's not available here, but if I could, I would.:)
ditto. :)
from what I've read and comments on here and another dog-food message board, it's a really good choice. Let us know how it works out for you.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 9th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I agree that TW is great, but how can you comment that the food has provided/maintained great muscle tone if you've only been feeding it for 5 days?? After 5 days you would still be feeding a mixture of TW and DB, and stool, shedding and muscle tone would likely still be reflecting the DB, not the TW.

Huh? I've been feeding Timberwolf for 2 and a half weeks now, I just opened the Ocean Blue 5 days ago. Before that I was feeding Dakota Bison, which is a Timberwolf formula.

Timberwolf Organics Dakota Bison (http://www.timberwolforganics.com/product_p/db.16.htm)

The only reason I mentioned muscle tone is because they were previously on Chicken Soup brand food, and they had terrible muscle tone compared to the other foods I previously fed, but about a week into feeding Timberwolf they started putting muscle back on.

Prin
September 9th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Is there any particular reason you switched meats? I would love to try some out on Jemma one day, if they ever sell it here. :frustrated: She gets so itchy during ragweed season that if changing the food helps her food allergies more, maybe the ragweed won't be as bad- but WK is the best I can do for her.:o

Puppyluv
September 9th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Huh? I've been feeding Timberwolf for 2 and a half weeks now, I just opened the Ocean Blue 5 days ago. Before that I was feeding Dakota Bison, which is a Timberwolf formula.

Timberwolf Organics Dakota Bison (http://www.timberwolforganics.com/product_p/db.16.htm)

The only reason I mentioned muscle tone is because they were previously on Chicken Soup brand food, and they had terrible muscle tone compared to the other foods I previously fed, but about a week into feeding Timberwolf they started putting muscle back on.

Sorry, didn't realize that DB was a TW food, but regardless, your dogs' current condition are likely still reflecting the DB and not the OB.

Prin
September 10th, 2006, 12:18 AM
:confused: :shrug: Really? Considering there aren't many people who feed TO at all, I think giving an opinion of one of their foods is as close as we can get, don't you think? Does it really matter that much to keep picking at it?

Tigger
September 10th, 2006, 06:48 AM
That said, all posts are to be responded to in a polite manner. Please EDUCATE or IGNORE posters that you don't agree with. Respond with kindness or do not respond at all. Rudeness from newer or older members will not be tolerated and may result in the member being removed without warning.
Gentle Reminder. Please keep on topic to the original OP's question. Thank you.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 10th, 2006, 09:53 AM
but regardless, your dogs' current condition are likely still reflecting the DB and not the OB

That's why I specifically mentioned that I opened the Ocean Blue 5 days ago, to make sure no one thought I was feeding it the whole time. I'm just happy with Timberwolf overall at THIS point but that may change, since my doggies haven't been eating it that long, although they've been doing well on it so far.

As far as I know, there's not a huge amount of people on this board that have Timberwolf available to them, or have fed it, so I figured I'd add my opinion since I decided to feed it :) .

Is there any particular reason you switched meats? I would love to try some out on Jemma one day, if they ever sell it here. She gets so itchy during ragweed season that if changing the food helps her food allergies more, maybe the ragweed won't be as bad- but WK is the best I can do for her.

I just like giving my dogs a bit of variety, and Timberwolf recommends switching between formulas. If they were extremely sensitive to different meats I wouldn't do it, but as far as I know the only meat Walnut is allergic to is chicken, so switching it up doesn't bother me.

rainbow
September 10th, 2006, 01:41 PM
I fed my boys Timberwolf and rotated with the Southwest Chicken + Herb, the Wilderness Elk and the Dakota Bison. They liked it and did well on it.

The reason I changed was because their poops were a little soft and the price kept going up every month by $2.00 a bag and we were going through a bag every 16 days. I switched to Solid Gold Wolf King which they liked but their poops still were a little soft.

I now feed them Innova which they are doing very well on and they've finally got good poops.

I'm not knocking TO or WK as they are both good foods but I presume they must have been too rich for my dogs.

SunGurl372
September 10th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I've been feeding Harley TO for the last several months...starting off with the Dakota Bison, and then moving to the Ocean Blue. Right now, I'm a little ... what's the word???.... concerned, skeptical, leary???

She did well for a while, but lately (last month or so) has taken back up to serious chewing on her paws and legs. This totally looks like when she was back on Nutro in the first few months. Honestly, I think the food she did best on was the Solid Gold Wolf King.

I'm going to watch it for awhile and then figure out what I can do. Can't get the SG here easily or affordably, but watching her chew on her paws non-stop drives me CRAZY. Seriously, she'll have the whole !@#$%^ foot in her mouth! Can't imagine she's happy with that and if I can fix it, I will.

SunGurl372
September 10th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I really should add that her poops have been outstanding on the TO, every bit as good as the Solid Gold. It's the itching that's pushing my hand.

Prin
September 10th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Are you sure it's not ragweed? Just because Jemma's been itching like CRAZY this past week (allergic to ragweed).

jesse's mommy
September 10th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Hmmm, Jesse just started licking her front left paw over the past week. I'm watching it to see if it could be an allergy or her being obsessive compulsive about me clipping her nails. Thanks Sungurl for pointing out that it could be an allergy. She's done so wel with the Merricks. Hmmm....

(:sorry: for the slight threadjack)

MyBirdIsEvil
September 11th, 2006, 10:42 AM
She did well for a while, but lately (last month or so) has taken back up to serious chewing on her paws and legs.

Have you had her allergy tested? If your dog is allergic to several things or switching foods more than once doesn't help, then it's probably the only way to figure out what exactly the dog is allergic too. It may not even be a food allergy. :shrug:

SunGurl372
September 11th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Have you had her allergy tested?

I haven't as of yet, always just assumed it was the food. Maybe a trip to the vet is in order.... I guess it could be something seasonal. My son has fits when it's pine pollen season here (typcially Feb / March timeframe), but has absolutely no other allergies whatsoever.

SuperWanda
September 15th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Thought I would re-ignite this one to see if there is anymore feedback on the Timberwolf Organic foods.

SunGurl372
September 15th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Considering the word on the changes in Solid Gold, I think it's safe to say I'll be staying on the Timberwolf.

Itching aside, which could be caused by outside factors, Harley has done very well on this food. I've been on it through 3 full bags (33lb.), the first was the Dakota Bison, then two Ocean Blue, and have just opened a fourth - back on the Bison.

I'm trying this formula again because it's a lot more like the SG Wolf King I was feeding before I had to switch due to availability and she just seemed to itch more on the Ocean Blue. Of course, that just might be my perception.

Either way, her coat is glossy, her shedding is average (considering she's a monster shedder), and poops are compact. She likes it alot too....she's been a picky eater in the past, but has no problem wolfing this stuff down (she was that way with the SG WK too).

mafiaprincess
September 15th, 2006, 01:51 PM
So....... Who in Ontario or Quebec is goign to pony up and become the pets.ca TO distributor.. lol.

SuperWanda
September 15th, 2006, 02:09 PM
SunGurl,

Just wondering if you noticed any itching while on the Solid Gold, before you switched to TO?

Like you said - could be something in the outdoors. My dog has allergies all year round but sometimes they flare up more during the allergy season.

I was hoping that getting onto a better quality food might help to eventually boost the immune system and help with the environmental allergies :fingerscr

SunGurl372
September 15th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Just wondering if you noticed any itching while on the Solid Gold, before you switched to TO?

Honestly, I didn't notice much itching with her while on the SG. But again, that's not to say that she wasn't itching at all.

It's just been lately (maybe four or five weeks) that I've noticed her really going at her paws because it's pretty constant.

The timing is interesting. I was talking to people on this site in early October '05, looking around for food options (she had been on Nutro up to then, and Iams before that!). That's when I settled on Solid Gold. So there's really no telling if the Solid Gold had an impact, or if we were just far enough in the season for an external trigger to have passed.

meb999
September 15th, 2006, 03:51 PM
So....... Who in Ontario or Quebec is goign to pony up and become the pets.ca TO distributor.. lol.

As I mentioned in another thread....I nominate Prin!! :D

Prin
September 15th, 2006, 05:12 PM
lol but I don't have any capital to start with.:o

mafiaprincess
September 15th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I could afford to do it. But I wouldn't want to be stuck with like 10 bags of food, you know?

Prin
September 15th, 2006, 05:34 PM
lol only 7.5... But their description is weird though... 250lbs or $250- $250 buys you 5 bags at most. :confused:

I wonder if you're allowed to buy different kinds... I want the elk or bison ones..

meb999
September 15th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I wanna try the ocean blue...or the wild and natural (the high protein one....although it has alot of chicken fat, so I'd be a little concerned about bloat....)

OntarioGreys
September 15th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Curious as to how many that are using are adding raw meat since the formulas are low meat protein, the food is meant more as a raw meat mixer for active healthy dogs

This is from their website and is stated in all their different formulas hust the name of the formula changes in the wording.
This formula may also be used for the feeding of animals that require a low protein or low fat diet because of disease and may be used in the management of canine obesity. Black Forest Canid Formula™ is fully balanced and meets the requirements of all life stages, but we do encourage the adding of meats such as muscle meats, organ meats, sweetbreads (thymus, pancreas), eggs etc.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 15th, 2006, 06:01 PM
My doggies are still doing well, they just finished the 16 lb bag of ocean blue, and I ordered a 33 lb bag of the wilderness elk, which they're eating now (Ocean Blue was out of stock). The only reason I ordered small bags in the first place was 'cause I didn't know if they'd even eat it, so I figured if they didn't like it, it wouldn't go bad sitting there open and I could give the leftover bag to someone else.

Curious as to how many that are using are adding raw meat since the formulas are low meat protein, the food is meant more as a raw meat mixer for active healthy dogs

My dogs eat cooked meat either with their food or separately most of the time. I was mixing deer meat for a long time, but we ran out, so I'll have to wait 'til hunting season again. I don't even know if my dogs like raw meat, because last fall we were cutting up deer meat and we threw some to Walnut, but she didn't want it. She was pretty young at the time though, so I don't know if she'd eat it now. Royce has never been offered raw meat.

meb999
September 15th, 2006, 06:04 PM

This is from their website and is stated in all their different formulas hust the name of the formula changes in the wording.

On their website, the Black Forest is the only one they recomend you mix with meat.
Our Black Forest™ Canid Formula was designed to be mixed with meat and may be the most compatible to mixing. However, all of our formulas are relatively high in vitamins and minerals.

Be very careful when adding meat to some kibble. When you add meat you are increasing phosphorous levels and most dog foods are only 1.1 - 1.3% calcium and their phosphorous levels are very close to that. It is possible you may add enough phosphorous accidentally to alter your calcium/phosphorous ratios.

mafiaprincess
September 15th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Dakota bison they also call a raw meat mixer.. a friend was pointing that out this afternoon actually.. And I find that kind of sketchy since I was always told kibble and raw digest at a different rate..

So by adding kibble you'd be making the whole meal stay longer in the digestive tract than it would as a raw meal alone.

technodoll
September 15th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I was always told kibble and raw digest at a different rate..

yeah me too... but i still do it, just no raw bones at the same time as kibble, but raw meat is ok... sometimes they get gassy with the mix, sometimes not. with bones, they always get gassy if i mix in kibble :shrug: it's a hippie time at my house, LOL :D

mafiaprincess
September 15th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Cider likes raw meat.. but doesn't get it often.. usually it's aroudn dinner time.. (duh being our dinner time too).. and usually it's been okay that she got some and then ate dinner.. but once she got like a 36 hour issue and while unprovable I think it was meat.. and I think it lasted longer than it would have without the kibble..

I'm sure dogs generally are okay gettign both.. I'm just not sure they should be encouraging it for daily consumption when I've always heard the opposite, you know?

Prin
September 16th, 2006, 08:07 PM
I can't do the raw... Just can't have raw meat lying around the house and Jemma is the type to play with raw meat. :sick:

worrier
March 26th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Thinking of trying this one out... current feedback is more than welcome. :)

Goldens4Ever
March 26th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Thinking of trying this one out... current feedback is more than welcome. :)

VERY, VERY, VERY please with this formula. My two have lots of allergies to different proteins & this works well with both of them. It's a little low in protein, so to give them a boost, I throw in some yogurt, meat, or hard-boiled eggs. They receive a lot of dehydrated meat treats throughout the day too. :cloud9:

They've been eating this particular formula for about 2 months now (I was mixing Aspen's with the Lamb, Barley, & Apple for a while). We've gone through 1.5 bags thus far & have 2 waiting to be opened. :)

One Beagle Girl
March 26th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Sorry I'm a little :offtopic:

But, has anyone contacted TO about distribution in Montreal? Maybe they could find a distributor for that area? If not, maybe you could talk to Alex, the distributor in my area and see what she says - maybe it would help??

Natural Pet Distributors
720 King Street West, Suite #415
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M5V 3S5

Telephone: 905.892.0519
Fax: 905.892.0336
e-mail: alexandra@naturalpet.ca

worrier
March 26th, 2007, 12:11 PM
VERY, VERY, VERY please with this formula. My two have lots of allergies to different proteins & this works well with both of them. It's a little low in protein, so to give them a boost, I throw in some yogurt, meat, or hard-boiled eggs. They receive a lot of dehydrated meat treats throughout the day too. :cloud9:

They've been eating this particular formula for about 2 months now (I was mixing Aspen's with the Lamb, Barley, & Apple for a while). We've gone through 1.5 bags thus far & have 2 waiting to be opened. :)

I want to use the Wild & Natural for half his diet and Ocean Blue for the other half. Very excited about going grain free, will worry a lot less.

rainbow
March 26th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I want to use the Wild & Natural for half his diet and Ocean Blue for the other half. Very excited about going grain free, will worry a lot less.

That would be a good choice. :)

Goldens4Ever
March 26th, 2007, 02:18 PM

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I also was very excited to go grain-free & happy that I found a grain-free formula that works for them. My two are the healthiest that they have ever been! :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

If my two could eat chicken or beef, I would love to feed TO Wild & Natural as well as Innova EVO & Red Meat formulas.

Smiley14
March 27th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I haven't tried Ocean Blue, so I can't comment on that formula specifically for you, but I can comment on TO in general. My dog hasn't been on it very long, but I've had the best results I've ever seen from many other food attempts and I've seen these results in a very short amount of time.
I don't know about the scientifics of how long it takes the new food to have effect on the dog, but I can tell you what I personally noticed and experienced.

I put Petey on TO in early February after bad gassiness and weight gain from 4 months on Canidae. In only two weeks time, I noticed a remarked difference in coat quality. My family commented on the muscle tone in his thighs as well. (His weight gain evidenced itself as small rolls around his neck, not his waist or legs). I was using the Black Forest formula. Petey also LOVED the taste of it as well. He's never been a picky eater...will in fact literally eat anything you put in front of him...but he licks his bowl clean after every meal, sniffing and searching for every last possible drop. It's quite hilarious actually. :) Anyway, we both loved the stuff. I have never seen changes so quickly or felt his coat in such amazing condition before. He is puppy-fur soft, it was amazing! I was also doing supplemental raw with Nature's Variety raw medallions. 1 1/2 cup TO and 2 medallion mix (approx 24 oz).

Three weeks into the TO, it was brought to my attention that Black Forest is very low in protein and not a good choice for his needed weight loss. So I switched to EVO Red Meat. But 5 days into the switch, he started getting gassy and having unpleasant side effects again. I went to half TO and half EVO with 2 raw medallions and he's doing much better again. The gassiness is almost gone and he's lost 2 pounds so far. He still has three more pounds to lose, so will continue this combination for a while. However, I will be trying a different TO formula next as the Black Forest is too low in protein. But I have become a big fan of the TO due to the remarkable difference I have seen in Petey in only a short amount of time. It's also his favorite as far as taste. When I was doing the switch from Canidae to TO, he ate all the TO first. When I tried switching from TO to EVO, he still ate all the TO first. And now that we're doing half and half, he knows which bin contains the TO and which bin contains the EVO. He loves the taste of all of them and they are all very good quality foods, but for Petey, TO is his clear favorite. :)

Goldens4Ever
March 27th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Smiley14-

:offtopic: I like that idea of mixing the kibble with Nature's Variety raw once in a while. Our vet carries the Bravo! line of raw, but all of the a-typical types of meat have to be odered, but I found another place that always carries all the varieties of Nature's Variety raw. I prepare home cooked meals for them on occassion, but on Thursday, I was going to pick up some of the rabbit medallions to try mixing with their TO. Have you tried those???

Also, I've read that dogs digest kibble & raw meat differently, so have you noticed any problems with feeding those two simultaneously in a meal? I'm sure that someone on here will be able to provide some clarification on that foggy issue.

It is really cool that you were able to notice that dramatic of a difference after being on TO for such a short period of time...that says a lot. :)

Smiley14
March 27th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Smiley14-

:offtopic: I like that idea of mixing the kibble with Nature's Variety raw once in a while. Our vet carries the Bravo! line of raw, but all of the a-typical types of meat have to be odered, but I found another place that always carries all the varieties of Nature's Variety raw. I prepare home cooked meals for them on occassion, but on Thursday, I was going to pick up some of the rabbit medallions to try mixing with their TO. Have you tried those???

Also, I've read that dogs digest kibble & raw meat differently, so have you noticed any problems with feeding those two simultaneously in a meal? I'm sure that someone on here will be able to provide some clarification on that foggy issue.

It is really cool that you were able to notice that dramatic of a difference after being on TO for such a short period of time...that says a lot. :)

So far I've tried the chicken, venision, and rabbit raw medallions. Petey loves all of them! I also tried the freeze-dried venison ones (ordered them accidentally the first time, LOL!) and those have been really good as well. Petey seems to like venison the best, but he gobbles all of them down, so it's hard to tell for sure if he has a preference. But the rabbit was good!

I hadn't heard anything about problems feeding both raw and kibble simultaneously, so didn't know not to do it! But no, I've never had any problems with it. The mix has been very good actually. His gassiness from his previous food went away within only a few days and stools have been consistently firm. My pooper scooper lady even commented on how nice they've been lately. LOL! Apparently they were a little looser before, she said. So I'm not sure what the potential issues are with feeding simultaneously, but for me at least, we haven't had any problems at all. I've been doing 3/4 cup kibble with two medallions in the morning and the other 3/4th cup kibble at night.

I'm not sure if his improved coat quality is from the TO or from the Nature's Variety, but whatever it is, it's been amazing!

ETA: Also, all of the Nature's Variety raw diets are made in-house in Nebraska, and are not involved with Menu Foods. I was very relieved to find that out!

worrier
March 27th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Just wanted to say that I noticed that creatine is an ingredient in TO Wild&Natural.

Smiley14
March 27th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Just wanted to say that I noticed that creatine is an ingredient in TO Wild&Natural.

Yeah, I saw that on your food switch thread. But I'm not sure what it means. :o

mummummum
March 27th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Just an fyi ...
Timberwolf continues to refuse to provide any information as to where it's foods are sourced &/or processed to ingredient form, processed to manufactured form and packaged.

Smiley14
March 27th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Just an fyi ...
Timberwolf continues to refuse to provide any information as to where it's foods are sourced &/or processed to ingredient form, processed to manufactured form and packaged.

:sorry: :offtopic:

They only address where the meats come from. From their website:

The meat proteins or animal products incorporated in the formulas manufactured are acquired from species specific processing plants. These species are:

1. Chicken 2. Turkey 3. Lamb from New Zealand or Australia 4. Venison from New Zealand or Australia 5. Various Fish 6. Pork 7. Chicken Fats 8. Fish Oils
Also, our plant is one of the few plants that is APHIS (Agricultural Plant Health Inspection Service) certified or the newer tougher Category III level certified. APHIS helps manufacturing plants meet all certification requirements for export for example, to the EC which is extremely difficult because of their stringent requirements of certification of all ingredients.

mummummum
March 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Either I'm missing your point or you are mine. APHIS is a voluntary-invited (as opposed to mandated) inspection agency. No where on their website will you find the information I indicate is not provided by them.

Smiley14
March 27th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Either I'm missing your point or you are mine. APHIS is a voluntary-invited (as opposed to mandated) inspection agency. No where on their website will you find the information I indicate is not provided by them.

Oh sorry, I was trying to agree with you, in saying that they only admit what countries they source their meats from, but not the rest of their ingredients or where their food is manufactured.

And while this does concern me, it doesn't stop me from using their food, for now at least.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you or said that incorrectly.