Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Drinks like a SLOB!

Dina
September 8th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Hello!
My 15 month old female lab is a real slob when it comes to drinking water from her bowl. No Class! She sticks her head and sometimes front paws into the bowl as she is drinking and walks away from her bowl slobbering all over the place! I'm almost tempted to train her to drink with a straw!
Is there any suggestions out there?
Thank you, Dina

jesse's mommy
September 8th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Water shoes? :D Just kidding -- I actually don't have any suggestions, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum. We would love to see pictures.

Dina
September 8th, 2006, 08:47 PM
thanks for your reply. I really would like to post picture of Karina..but it seems my photo is larger than allowed...how do I get it smaller..???

jesse's mommy
September 8th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I'm not very good at explaining how to do it, but you need to resize the picture. I know there is a thread out there that explains how to do it. I'll see if I can find it, if not I'm sure someone will pop on here soon and tell you.

Dina
September 8th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I'm not very good at explaining how to do it, but you need to resize the picture. I know there is a thread out there that explains how to do it. I'll see if I can find it, if not I'm sure someone will pop on here soon and tell you.
Thanks, but I think I got it... the latest picture of Karina.in the water.

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Ummm.....no pic showed but welcome to the world of labs. :D

I'm not computer savvy, but someone here will be able to let you know how to resize.

Dina
September 8th, 2006, 10:05 PM

Hey Cooper! Where did you go?:dog:

jesse's mommy
September 8th, 2006, 10:08 PM
It looks like Karina is stalking a fish!

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 10:13 PM
I thought we were going to get a pic of Karina in her water bowl. :D

jesse's mommy
September 8th, 2006, 10:16 PM
That's a pretty big bowl. No wonder why she is a sloppy drinker! :crazy:

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Karina looks like my boy Chase. More pics please.

meb999
September 8th, 2006, 10:39 PM
only advice I have is to put a towel under her bowl (and in front of it...it'll catch most of the slobber. She's awfully cute :p

Prin
September 8th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I suggest getting a smaller water bowl so her feet won't fit into it. I know some dogs at the park :frustrated: who do that, and I managed to correct them with a leash and saying "no feet". But as soon as I was gone, they did it again. Then again, they weren't my dogs.. I would be far more persistent and consistent if they were mine.;)

SnowDancer
September 9th, 2006, 10:10 AM
My Eskimo does this when he drinks from a water bowl - but - as per Prin's Poll I admitted that my catered-to guy does have a love of drinking from a bone china teacup - and he doesn't spill a drop. Ever so dainty! My guy ways 21.5 lbs. so a teacup would be too small for you pup, but agree with Prin, try a smaller bowl.

H.P.
September 12th, 2006, 06:47 PM
My Sydney also is a sloppy drinker, and likes to play in the bowl, even with a smaller bowl, she would splash with one paw. I tried a rabbit type bottle, but I was afarid she just couldn't get enough water. Now I am putting it in her kennel, which is too small for her to stand up in, but she can stick her head in and drink. It is working great.

(Don't worry, I do not shut her in the too small kennel, it is from when she was smaller)

angeldogs
September 13th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Jag is the same kind of slop.But he lays down to drink.Stands up.And you have to but the rubber boots on to mop the floor.

mafiaprincess
September 13th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Cider dribbles some. I've learned to live. I know an afghan who foot dunks. She has a water bucket on the fence outside. She has to drink outside now to deal with it. She learned pretty quickly that outside is drink and potty time. *shrug*

JMDodson
September 14th, 2006, 08:39 AM
That is too funny, my dog is the same way, he is 5 yrs old. He always has been and I think always will be a slob when he drinks. The funniest thing to watch is when family or friends are over, because my dog always does the same thing, take a drink and then go immediately over to the company to dribble half of his water bowl into their lap. Some people have no sense of humor and act as if the dog is dribbling bleach all over their clothes! I have learned to deal with it, I wish it was that easy to teach our dogs manners
(but he doesn't put his feet in his water, thankfully) so I can think of bigger
faults for me to worry about. Your dog is still young so maybe there are ideas out there to at least lesson the amount of spill or dribble, good luck :)